Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 PM

Default To AVID: I want to run old PT versions with the new annual commitment

To AVID:

SUMMARY:
I currently plan to commit $200 annually to Avid. However, I hope that Avid will let me run ~ 8-10 year old versions of Pro Tools, so that I can upgrade my computer when the need exists for me.

REQUEST FOR COMMUNICATION:
I want to hear about Avid's intention to retain the availability of older licenses with current Pro Tools commitments. How far back will Avid intend to provide? Currently, it's through 10, with the current 12.

EXPLANATION OF REQUEST:
I would like to retain the ability to use older Mac Hardware and Mac OS's as I deem is appropriate. I understand and may accept to pay the yearly pricing for plain Pro Tools, as to not incur the excessive new ~$900 perpetual software pricing if I were to let a year lapse before upgrading. However, if I decide to maintain my $200 commitment to Avid for plain Pro Tools, I want to be able to control which hardware & OS I can use. I.e., I need to retain the ability to run the version of Pro Tools which best matches my old computer/ old OS. As dated as this may sound, I can easily see running a 8-9 year old hardware, with a 6-8 year old Operating System. Today, I am using a 7 year old Mac Book Pro with a 6 year old Mac OS, with a 5 year old Pro Tools 9, using an 8 year old Digi 003. (Thank you for this!) For my current needs, this works. I do not want to be forced to upgrade my hardware or operating system because I am committing to Pro Tools/Avid on an annual basis.

With the new plan that is being implemented, please allow us to run 8+ year old versions of Pro Tools.

I may consider committing to Pro Tools/Avid for an annual $200, for the long term health and vibrancy of Pro Tools. However, I will be displeased with Avid if I am coerced to upgrade my computer & OS more frequently than I prefer, or, pay $900 to re-commit to Pro Tools, when I'm ready to try a more current version of Pro Tools, without upgrading my computer/operating system, and have that $900 fee happen sooner than 5 years time from the last upgrade.

FYI:
I am patient, and until now, I have sided with the full support of Avid's new plans. However, I am becoming uneasy. I have been slow to get perturbed on this topic. I know that I usually am more patient with my music tool companies than the norm on the internet. You can interpret this honest observation as you deem fit.

SIDE NOTE:
I hope upgrading from Pro Tools 9 does not require me to relinquish the ability to run Pro Tools 9. Anyone know?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 AM

Default Re: To AVID: I want to run old PT versions with the new annual commitment

Sounds like a reasonable request - can't see how it would hurt Avid in any way.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 AM

Default Re: To AVID: I want to run old PT versions with the new annual commitment

Yes it would. The whole reason Avid is doing this is so they can get as many people up to date as possible. People running old versions is just causing EVERYONE aggro. I hate that sessions that are fine on my 11HD have real trouble opening even on 10HD. I can't wait for everyone to ditch legacy software and hardware. I'm also fed up with how crap TDM sounds. I am using the same host hardware for 11 as I was using for 8, so if you're trapped on an old hardware platform that's your problem, not Avid's.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 04-02-2015, 01:11 AM

I've been here since 2002 and am trying to get my account deleted so

**** YOU
Old 04-02-2015, 01:20 AM

Then you'll know that Dinosaurs died out for a reason. Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 AM

this is perfect

post more!

list your gear - it's like putting your guns in the gun rack in the rear window of your pickup truck

delete this account already!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 AM

You are really quite special aren't you. The only person who can delete this account is YOU, so why haven't you done it already? Can't find the "any" key?

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Yes it would.
If Avid gets $199/year for plain Pro Tools, I do not see how allowing users to use older versions would hurt them. … I'm not asking for a session to be able to jump back and forth between a current and an older version. I am simply wanting to use an older computer, and the plain Pro Tools version that won't bog down that older computer.

Quote:
The whole reason Avid is doing this is so they can get as many people up to date as possible.
In my opinion, Avid is doing this to ensure solid & steady revenue. I am not arguing against that.
Quote:
People running old versions is just causing EVERYONE aggro.
I am some one. And, running plain PT 9 on my early 2008 MacBook Pro/Snow Leopard, and a digi 003 does not "cause me aggro".
Quote:
I hate that sessions that are fine on my 11HD have real trouble opening even on 10HD.
What does this have to do with my request?
Quote:
I can't wait for everyone to ditch legacy software and hardware.
How does me using plain PT 9 on my '08 MBP/003 affect you? … Avid sets their pricing plan. I decide to either upgrade annually, or every 5+ or so years at the $900 mark. I'm not weighing you down.

Quote:
I'm also fed up with how crap TDM sounds. I am using the same host hardware for 11 as I was using for 8, so if you're trapped on an old hardware platform that's your problem, not Avid's.
I am having difficulty seeing the flow of logic in these last 2 sentences. … And, I'm not trapped on old hardware. I currently am content with what I have in that department. I'm a musician. I am prepared to pay for what I like and want. Currently, it's Pro Tools.

Maybe, my best path is to upgrade to 12 for $200. Then, let that be for 5+ years. Get a new computer/interface when the want surfaces. And, hopefully (for me), by the time I have to pay $900 to get the latest plain PT, it'll be 5 or so years down the line. I'm more inclined to pay $200/year than to opt out of that plan, and have to commit $900 later. If that $900 comes sooner than I'd prefer, that could be the impetus to DAW shop.

My request is: as Avid includes 10 & 11 with 12, I ask that they allow the "continuous" upgrader the ability to stick with 10, even if they pay Avid $200 annually to "upgrade". I'm reading that when you upgrade, you have to relinquish certain, older licenses.

8dB.co.uk, unintentionally or not, you came on quite strong.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 AM

Apologies for that, but people are missing the point entirely. Avid needs a critical mass of people on 12 with latest hardware in order to make the new features viable. They won't get switched on until enough people are on 12 - no point having collaboration or an archive format if there's no-one to share with, or sessions have to be converted to work. By staying on old software, while being subscribed, people are drawing out the process. This wasn't meant as an accusation, it's just the plain facts behind this new subscription / support scheme.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 AM

And, the only people I know who actively want to stay on 9 are people who have a raft of cracked plugins, enabled with the old iLok bypass trick. Not saying you're one of them. I even know someone who rubbishes RX4, in favour of X-Noise, purely because they have a cracked version of the latter and can't install the former. The sheer disparity of versions currently in use causes major problems for users like me who have to run sessions on a huge variety of kit.

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors