Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 05:10 AM

Default Is there any point in upgrading to PT12 before new features are introduced?

Hi all, hopefully this won't just contribute to all the noise on this forum, as this is a genuine question.

I've been trying to wade through the info in order to figure out what to do.

I'm mainly a PT10HD (HD3 accel) user, but also use my iLok license to run PT10HD software natively on my Laptop.

I've trialled HD11 (natively), & for me anyway, decided it was't worth upgrading (which at the time was about £1000 !).

So it seems now, I've got until the end of the year to buy into an AVID support plan or be left with an non-upgradable licence.

Assuming I chose to do this, what is the point in upgrading now? As the support plan lasts for 1 year from purchase, surely it is best to wait as long as possible before buying into it?...or until 'track-freeze' or something useful is introduced that I actually care about?

Have I missed anything here?

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 03-27-2015, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Is there any point in upgrading to PT12 before new features are introduced?

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366095

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Is there any point in upgrading to PT12 before new features are introduced?

I'm a modest PT9 Vanilla user. On a similar point in the river, but smaller boat, as you. If you have no issues right now, waiting just "extends" your annual perpetuity upgrade membership end date. Maybe 12 runs better. Start the year cycle, to test yourself. Be prepared to encounter early phase bumps. Or sift through the noise here for reports.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Hi Drew, thanks..yes i'm aware of the new i/o setup & exciting splash screen...but neither are really anything I felt had been lacking from PT before... & not worth $599 to me. I may of course be in the minority here.

Maybe the title should have been "Is there any point in upgrading to PT12 before new features I care about are introduced?"

Most likely, I'd probably just gibe PT12 a miss for now....but it seems AVID has a gun to our head, if we want to *ever* be able to upgrade. This is not a situation that has ever occurred before.

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
Most likely, I'd probably just gibe PT12 a miss for now....but it seems AVID has a gun to out head, if we want to *ever* be able to upgrade..
They've got HD users in limbo for sure. But the good news is, there is no gun to HD user's heads. You can sit back and wait for them to announce what it'll be. And as mentioned, when you do jump, your 1 year will last that much longer.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 PM

There seems to be a bit of chatter that PT12 is "more stable" or "more responsive" than PT11 and if that is actually true it might make it worth upgrading now, but to be honest I'm not convinced yet. Would love to see some kind of accurate comparison though.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
There seems to be a bit of chatter that PT12 is "more stable" or "more responsive" than PT11 and if that is actually true it might make it worth upgrading now, but to be honest I'm not convinced yet. Would love to see some kind of accurate comparison though.

The only accurate comparison that has been done so far shows absolutely no difference in performance.
And crashes have already been reported.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 AM

If there are any basic fixes to PT12, the next bug fix for 11 should contain those. If the video engine is fixed in 12, it should also be fixed in 11, for example.

We'll see.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Is this first hand experience what you claim or have you actually compared 11 to 12 yourself?
You seem confused, buddy. Same thing.
But reading between your lines I understand you want to know, if I'm just repeating what others said, or if I tested it myself.

Let me ask you - what would be the difference to you? Would you value my findings higher, than - say - the ones of Russ and the bunch over at PTE?
I for one do not think, that they make stuff like this up. And I'm not aware of any comparison, that falsifies their result. Do you?

So - no, I did not spend any money on PT12 yet to make a comparison myself, because I have no reason to do that. All my questions have so far been answered, my curiosity is at a very substantial low.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 PM

The smart approach is to hold off until you see a specific feature you want. They've said they'll be adding them periodically and different people will probably jump in at different times. It's just an entirely different approach to upgrades. Nobody really knows if it'll be better or worse. They say Media Composer is doing real well with this approach.