Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Default PT 9 install - Virtual Instrument "Sample Content"

The PT 9 installation guide states that some virtual instrument "sample content" is included and that it's very large and may take up to 20 minutes to install. What exactly is this? Is this a *sample library* unrelated to the "6 virtual instruments" included with PT, or is it *examples of what can be done with the 6 virtual instruments included with PT*?

If the former, then is it cool to utilize off the system drive where presumably the standard pro-tools install will put it? I understand that a third (non-system, non-record) hard drive is preferred for use of samples but I do not have a 3rd drive and I don't intend to get one at this time. My system drive *is* 7200 RPM so I'm hoping all will be good to utilize from there if this in fact is a sample library.

If the latter, then is it just completely useless clutter that isn't helpful and I should just not install b/c it takes 20 min and it's a waste of space, etc.? Or is it actually worth checking out, or at least not worrying about so I might as well go ahead and install it? Or what is it...

thanks.
Profire 2626, Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini
OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro 1.0TB Quad - 7200 RPM Serial ATA external record drive
(1.0TB Hitachi Deskstar™ 7K1000.C internal mechanism) w/ Oxford Semiconductor 924 (OXUF924DS) chipset
CASIO CZ-1 synthesizer
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Default Re: PT 9 install - Virtaul Instrument "Sample Content"

Quote:
Originally Posted by half drag View Post
The PT 9 installation guide states that some virtual instrument "sample content" is included and that it's very large and may take up to 20 minutes to install.
In relation to the Pro Tools 9 Installer, then that will be the sample content belonging to the Creative Collection that comes bundled for free with any Pro Tools system. The content belongs to Mini Grand, Xpand!2 and Boom.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Thanks. I suppose it's worth having some sample content to toy with. And I guess if the installer puts it on the system drive then that's OK too.

Appreciate the response.
(1.0TB Hitachi Deskstar™ 7K1000.C internal mechanism) w/ Oxford Semiconductor 924 (OXUF924DS) chipset
CASIO CZ-1 synthesizer
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
And I guess if the installer puts it on the system drive then that's OK too.
If you have a dedicated sample drive, it would be best to move that content off the system drive.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Gotcha. Thanks. I don't have a dedicated sample drive. I will play with fire till I get burned I guess. I don't think I'll be very sample heavy but will want to experiment. If everything goes all kerplooey I guess I'll have to go get a drive then, or not sample.

Seriously though - do you think I should actually skip install that step because it really just won't work out on the system drive at all? Or is the way to do it anyway to full install and then move the content, as you say?
CASIO CZ-1 synthesizer
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
do you think I should actually skip install that step because it really just won't work out on the system drive at all? Or is the way to do it anyway to full install and then move the content, as you say?
Moving the content is an ideal configuration, as it will diminish performance. Pro Tools Creative Collection not only offers five Virtual Instruments but Pro Tools Creative Collection also includes FX plug-ins and although you can check or un-check elements of the Pro Tools Installer, having the Creative Collection Content installed on your system drive isn't going to do any serious damage, it is just 'ideal' to place the content on a separate drive.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Default Re: PT 9 install - Virtual Instrument "Sample Content"

But being on the system drive is less the problem than actually running it/using it from the system drive intensively, correct? I.e., I'm thinking the best option for me is to install it on the system drive, then ignore it or use it lightly, and ultimately at some point move it to a dedicated drive if I plan on making intensive use of the samples, etc.

I won't beat the dead horse further (just this last blow) but let me know if you agree. B/c that's what I plan to do since I got no dedicated drive at this time. My thinking being that it won't be much a hindrance to running PT by simply sitting on the system drive but not running or being utilized in intensively in sessions, etc.

What's a good drive, just another OWC like listed in my sig?
CASIO CZ-1 synthesizer
Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Default Re: PT 9 install - Virtual Instrument "Sample Content"

Quote:
But being on the system drive is less the problem than actually running it/using it from the system drive intensively, correct? I.e., I'm thinking the best option for me is to install it on the system drive, then ignore it or use it lightly, and ultimately at some point move it to a dedicated drive if I plan on making intensive use of the samples, etc.
That will be fine, as I said, it's an 'ideal' situation.