Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-03-2003, 08:08 AM

Default XP lacking Mac Midi Functionality???

After some research it appears that XP does not have the MIDI devices/patch lists etc contained in apples CORE MIDI (OSX) or OMS (OS9). I would like to manage all my MIDI devices in this way and was disappointed that Windows lacks this feature...or am I wrong. I was hoping that OMS would work as it is dual platform but the bloke at digidesign said no (he did say he wasn't an expert so I hope he's wrong)
My question is this...on the MIDI side do I have to go through the hassle of setting up multi's on my synth selecting them and then allocating them channels in PT via channel number? Most sequencers and PT mac would allow me to choose patches by name from the full palette without choosing 16 patches to put in a multi first etc etc ...with me so far!
Thanks
Jonny
propective DIGI002R buyer
Old 11-03-2003, 09:10 AM

Default Re: XP lacking Mac Midi Functionality???

As far as I know, OMS is not dual platform, it is mac-only. As for patchnames, I think Pro Tools 6.1 supports them.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:24 AM

only on the Mac
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-03-2003, 11:03 AM

Which is my point- although dual platform windows is short of quite an important feature for those working with midi.
As regards OMS- it was dual platform as was/is MOTU's freemidi but not many apps in the Windows world used them.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 AM

I was disappointed at first. I liked names so I could scroll. Instead, I made a multi with the few patches I actually use and named the midi track appropriately. Definitely NOT a reason to give up Protools. You will especially like editing midi tracks in teh edit window so you can align notes between tracks easily. Very easy to go between tracks - something I found difficult in SX and Logic.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-03-2003, 12:50 PM

My main gripe is that this function is available to mac users.
It is difficult to select a 16 part multi from 1000 patches. Sometimes you need a patch and just want to audition a load before deciding- with local off I am auditioning tons of patches via sonar at the moment. I want to move to PT and I want to stay with PC (just bought a lovely sony GRT815M lappie) but I feel mac is the way to go for PT at the moment or go with Nuendo on the PC. I understand it's not that big a deal but if you are used to a certain feature to manage devices it is difficult to work more 'primitively'. Freemidi and OMS can work on windows so I don't know why digi didn't licence a MIDI management app and work it into PT for PC.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:54 PM

Hi!
Dual Platform? Uhh- not! OMS and FreeMIDI were both OS9 (and earlier, to a point) only. Due to some shortcomings in OMS, Apple chose to create Core MIDI, going hand-in-hand with...Core Audio.

Windows HAS the ability to do these things, sort of. However,it is up to the software developer to provide these features within an app. Yeah, Cubase, Nuendo, etc have it. Even further, MidiQuest now has VST functionality, and can operate as VST within Steinberg prodicts.

I tried to start a petition on the DUC in thi section, and only 1 or two responded, so I figured I was imagining things, and that the majority of Win PT users could care less.

When it comes to Pro Tools, there is one simple rule: If it is a feature built into Mac OS, and not in Win, we will NEVER see it. The converse of this is true as well. There are exceptions to every rule, and BTD to wma is one for this rule. AVI? MPEG? Hehehe- dream on! QT is Mac, so we are stuck there. Want right-click functions? Gee- sorry, gotta wait until Mac OS offers it for them to even think of adding it, which we now have. Thx Apple! Want to create a templates for sessions? Good luck. Mac has a VERY nice feature, and we will never see it- when THEY save a session and follow the instructions for making it a template, and then open it as a session, THEY get to supply a name, and good ol' PT on Mac creates folders and such JUST like a "new session." Windows? Ha! Gotta do all that manually. I could go on for a page or two more...And yes, it has tempted me to either dump PT and Digi altogther, or go try Mac again. But I dont feel like dealing with that mess they call OS-X, proprietary hardware, etc, and all it takes is an hour on Nuendo to remind me why I love my HD system.

<gets off soapbox>
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:54 PM

at least they sound the same ( notwithstanding the lack of PC Plug-ins)

Old 11-03-2003, 03:08 PM

Apparently, something is going on at Digidesign to address the lack of patch names.

Maybe Digidesign could chime with an explanation of what "sound diver type function" is from this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...rue#Post501923

The fact that PTLE was ever going to have patch name selection with real patch names came as a complete surprise to me. I never expected it to happen, ever. However, as always, it's a question of when.

Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 AM

Sorry Nikki but you are wrong.
Freemidi runs happily on windows and is contained in the MOTU Freestyle sequencer for windows. I've used it, it works, it is dual platform.
The following document from the digidesign web (originally from Opcode) refers to OMS being dual platform . Link is HERE
Check NOTE in italics on the second or third page.

By saying 'UHhh NO' you are implying that you have absolute knowledge which, for a newbie like myself can be very off putting. I appreciate you are trying to be helpful and I am grateful for you response to this thread. However, if you do not really know I would advise you to resist general assumptions. Moan over!