Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Default Re: What is the most user friendly PT interface?

Yes, I tend to agree with Albee (thank you Drew, YYR, musicman for replying). The RME is tricky. Sure it's made me a better producer, but the older I get, the less I want all these volume 'variables'. ....and there are MANY on the 802.

Ok, now I have the Slate Raven touch screen for faders. If I would get the Avid interface, would that be screen be sufficient, or would there still be another screen to contend with?

I'm good with 16 channels for now, but it's a good feeling even with my 802 and the Ferrofish that I have about 26 channels to work with (even more, actually).
Old 09-22-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As for "how do you reference your volume and routing levels if you don't have the screen like the RME does?" I'm not clear on the question. I have all the metering I need right on the screen(MIX or EDIT window).
Good question Albee, what I meant was what you were referring too: another mixing screen to deal with. That's what I don't want. Just don't want to deal with another screen of 'volumes' (The RME has 3 levels hardware output, software playback, hardware input levels, etc.).

Would I be correct in saying that the easiest actual route to go, as expensive as it might be, would be to go HD and get an I/O?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firmflange View Post
Good question Albee, what I meant was what you were referring too: another mixing screen to deal with. That's what I don't want. Just don't want to deal with another screen of 'volumes' (The RME has 3 levels hardware output, software playback, hardware input levels, etc.).

Would I be correct in saying that the easiest actual route to go, as expensive as it might be, would be to go HD and get an I/O?
I still think you should look at Quantom(unless you can't use a thunderbolt interface). As for screens, I can't work with less than 2(running 3 at the moment). I keep the MIX window and EDIT window always up on 2 screens. My 3rd is for stuff I like to leave up, but out of the way(cpu meter, Memory Locations and FabFilter ProQ2 on my master, for its spectral readout). Back to HDN, its not a cheap route, so don't blindly start buying bits. It requires:
HDN card(PCIe or Thunderbolt)
Pro Tools HD software(can't run with PT vanilla)
Digilink iLok license(or the digilink ports won't work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monitors.jpg (69.8 KB, 0 views)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Per Avid's site, the digilink license is not required prior to 12.5 which is what I use. Getting tired of my latency problems anyhow.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 PM

I've had several interfaces, including a UA Twin Duo. I sold them all. Two mic pres isn't enough. I wanted the AU 8P but I can't justify that kind of expense and that mixer is an active mixer that you have to run with PT.

If you have deep pockets, get the 8P. The next best thing is the Focusrite 8Pre or 8PreX. The software is more to set up your system and not adding an extra mix window. Much simpler. And it's a killer interface in its own right. The "Air" feature is an actual circuit, not a software emulation, based on the ASA series.

Intro To Focusrite Control for the Clarett 8PreXl
Old 09-23-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Per Avid's site, the digilink license is not required prior to 12.5 which is what I use. Getting tired of my latency problems anyhow.
True, but you still need Pro Tools HD software

Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM

I agree Albee. Just saw PT 12 HD native with card for $2200 on fleabay.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I agree Albee. Just saw PT 12 HD native with card for $2200 on fleabay.
Check to see if the pro tools licence is perpetual or a 1-year subscription(its important to know exactly what you are getting). For reference, I have seen just the HDN card for $750-$1000 with no software Also, you can save some cash by starting with a used 192 is your IO(around $500), but do get the one that suits your needs. A 192 DIGITAL is only going to have digital IO, so you get no converters. The "standard" 192 has 8 IO on analog plus 8 IO on digital so its probably your best option. The "standard" version can also take an extra card for either 8 analog INS or OUTS, but not both. The digital connections can be used with several boxes for more IO(anywhere from $200 up to several thousand). If you do go with a 192, you will need a Mini-Digilink to Digilink adapter(which usually comes with the HDN card, but make sure or budget to buy one)

Old 09-24-2017, 03:49 PM

Here's the card I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Hd-Nati...19.m1438.l2649

PT 12HD with Card. Would I be good to go with this?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Here's the card I'm looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avid-Hd-Nati...19.m1438.l2649

PT 12HD with Card. Would I be good to go with this?
"Go" in what sense? Go to use Pro Tools HD with your current interface? Sure

With a DigiLink interface? What are you planning on purchasing? You can't use that core card without a DigiLink Interface. And you can't aggregate or combine DigiLink interfaces with a your RME 800, although you can use that outboard as an ADAT preamp.