Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
BTW, Avid bought digidesign in 1995.
When Eleven Rack came out (2009?) it was still branded "Digidesign", shortly after it seemed the company dropped everything that was associated with that old moniker.

Hell, they are still selling new Eleven Racks, with no El Capitan driver!
Old 12-11-2015, 01:13 AM

I don't care about them companies and their economic moves and games. I have purchased a hardware interface with a box naming both Avid and M-Audio and I expect to be supported. I'm not willing to spend money on new hardware because Avid is lazy. Period! Get to work and release a simple USB driver for God's sake. Everyone else does that, even for discontinued little 2x4 interfaces. Show some respect to your (ex) customers...
Old 12-11-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoukadaris View Post
I don't care about them companies and their economic moves and games. I have purchased a hardware interface with a box naming both Avid and M-Audio and I expect to be supported. I'm not willing to spend money on new hardware because Avid is lazy. Period! Get to work and release a simple USB driver for God's sake. Everyone else does that, even for discontinued little 2x4 interfaces. Show some respect to your (ex) customers...
I think it is not that easy. The old AVID owned M-Audio design team chose hardware modules that need a driver. This seems broken now with the El Capitan kernel.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:23 AM

I can't comment on the grade of the difficulty, but I can't accept a 4 months delay and Avid's silence about this issue. Difficult issues should somehow get solved according to a schedule. What I'm worried about is that there is no schedule at all and we are left in the dark with an interface that does not work anymore... I just upgraded to El Capitan on my MacBook Pro 13'', 2.8GHz, i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 750GB HDD 7200rpm, using my TASCAM US-200 and everything works fine; all my apps and audio plugins. The overall performance of my computer has also improved. I want to do the same on my iMac 21.5'', 2.5GHz, i5, 12GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 500GB HDD 7200rpm, but Avid's Fast Track Ultra 8R in my music studio holds me back.

Last edited by tsoukadaris; 12-11-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Tsoukadaris you are so right this is really not good. I work as a server analyst for a big IT company and we would try to support all our products even with legacy equipment thats gone end of life. It would be unthinkable to leave a customer in the dark. Avid get your finger out this is a joke, and communicate with the people that use your products!!
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 AM

Personally I bought a fast track ultra to be able to use ProTools as it wasn't possible some years ago with non avid interface. And today I'm unable to use my soundcard anymore, because they are unable to release a driver ? I'm a developer and I can say it's not so long to do it. If it's not done yet, it's only because it is at the bottom of their backlog. Then, I totally join tsoukadaris and gibbojim opinions.

In conclusion, Avid forced me to buy an avid product (fast track ultra) to use another avid product (protools), and today they force me to wait some months before producing music, without even a news about a potential driver release date. So concretely, I'm forced to spend money to buy another soundcard and of course it will be from another manufacturer and I'll never buy an avid product again.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 AM

Dear Joel, dear developer and product Team,

can AVID finally release a new driver?!?! I'm really becoming angry about the situation now! I check the drivers page and this forum every single day. We have our next broadcasting in a week and you really force me to get rid of all our avid products?! Come of it! I was quite calm the last two months, but you had your time. An upgrade after 7 weeks of a quasi forced OS upgrade is not that much to ask for.

Hope to hear from you!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:33 PM

I believe the ultimate solution for Avid is to release a Class Compliant driver, similar to the Foucssrite. They could then wash their hands off of this product as far as Im concerned as itll atleast be able to work and we wouldn't have to complain so much.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:44 PM

You don't "release" a class compliant driver. Class compliant drivers are built into the OS, and generally don't have the feature set that the manufacturer driver would have.

http://www.sweetwater.com/insync/class-compliant/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_driver

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 12-15-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShmoopy View Post
I believe the ultimate solution for Avid....
...would have been to use hardware modules that don't need a special driver years ago.