Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 AM

Default Elastic Properties - Warbled Sound...

I've searched the forum for my problem but haven't been able to find an answer, so here's my post on what's happening:

--Pro Tools 10.0.0, Macbook Pro 2.2 i7, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.7.2

(1) I've imported 16 tracks of audio files (converted from analog to digital) and now want to snap them to the grid.

(2) On all 16 tracks, I turned tick on.

(3) Play the original tracks, counting to 8 bars, then insert a slice. Move my first slice to bar 1, adjust tempo to match original recording as close as possible (only .5 to 1 bpm off).

(4) I change all tracks to polyphonic.

(5) The Elastic Properties tells me this 8 bar slice is 8|0|049, so I change it to 8|0|000

(6) Clean guitar and acoustic guitar seem to have a funny 'warbling' sound to them. I've checked the drums, keys, vox and everything else, there doesn't seem to be a problem with those tracks.

(7) Conductor is off (I turned it on, still same problem). I've tried rhythmic and verispeed on the guitars, same problem. Set the tempo to stretch the original tracks, same problem as when I shrink them.

Been thru the manual, google, Avid forum...I'm at a loss. The fact it doesn't seem to be happening on other tracks tells me I'm missing something. But, after hours of research, I can't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

George
Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Elastic Properties - Warbled Sound...

Warbling type effects can happen with elastic audio when you grab the end or a region/selection and moving it around to fit but the scaling only happens from where you are moving things around back to the previous warp marker, not equally scaling the whole selection/region. So you end up with regions with rapid temp changes, then back to no scaling, then another rapid change. Make sure you are viewing the warp markers when you scale these regions/selections.

Sorry, that was probalby not a very clear explanation.

Darryl
Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 AM

You might try the render mode,x-form. The drawback is that it renders the track after every edit so it takes longer to edit. After you test it out, you can make your edits in Polyphonic mode then go back to x-form for hopefully, a better render.
A few times, I ended up rendering what I could and then sliced and crossfaded an acoustic track and used other plugs in Audiosuite if I had to. Sometimes the stretch tool works well and it can use algorithms of other plug-ins. This can be selected in your preferences.
BEAT DETECTIVE(refer to Ch. 31 in the reference guide): If you are not too concerned about tempo naturally drifting a little, why not work with beat detective to have the grid follow the recorded tracks? That would be my first choice. I have it change tempo every bar unless the tempo is really all over the place. There are several ways of doing this but here is one.
Turn off all the Elastic audio by going sample based with all the tracks. You may want to save as before trying this. What I do is create an instrument track with any low latency instrument. Record a note every bar or every beat depending on the music as it's playing. Set the midi track to sample base. Set the overall tempo to closely approximate the tempo of the recording. select all clips and nudge them to a down beat or start of a measure. Have beat detective use the midi recording you made to create a tempo map (you may have to switch the conductor icon in the transport to allow tempo maps and maybe the make the midi track tick based again.). Sometimes the tempos drift alot and a bar or beat may be omitted or you end up with a 3 beat bar or something. Just undo and slice up the midi clip where it failed, select it and recreate the tempo map for the length of that clip. Do the same for the next clip. I ended up with just 3 midi clips for a 5 minute tune. But it was trial and error but well worth the results. I haven't done this in a while but I had to because I was syncing EZ drummer to pre recorded audio with no click track. So the tempos drift a little with the music as well as EZ drummer making EZ drummer sound more human and preserving the emotional feel of the performer if that's what you want. The audio will remain in it's original pristine state.
You can also have beat detective slice up audio and conform to an already recorded track without tempo mapping if you are just trying to fix a few parts.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM

I appreciate the input from everyone. I'm new to Pro Tools, so I just need to get better at working with it.

Thanks,

G