Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Clocking Question

I am trying to understand why I am not experiencing clocking issues with the following setup. It's not that I WANT the issues, it's that with what I think I know about clocking I think I should be experiencing a problem, and I don't appear to be. Here is the setup:

I am running PTLE 7.3.1 but using the clock (Optical/ADAT) in my RME Octamic-D as the master over the Digi 002. That has always worked very well. This weekend I connected the digital (S/PDIF) output from my Lexicon MPX 550 EFX processor to the digital (S?PDIF) input of my Digi 002 so that I could free up analog line inputs on the 002. How is it that I am using ADAT between the 002 and the RME, and S/PDIF between the 002 and the Lexicon MPX 550, and I am not having clocking issues? What am I missing here? How does the MPX 550 know that it should sync to the RME?

Thanks,

Torchlight
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Clocking Question

In digital as you know there can be only one master. Saying this when you set Pro Tools to see the RME box as the master then everything on the 002 slaves to that source. Also the MPX 550 when you set it to SPDIF in then it in turn recieves its clock from the RME device.

Hope that makes sense.

Mike
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Thanks! So I guess that my MPX 550 is slaving to the RME. The interesting thing is that I never had to make any changes to the MPX 500 to tell it to slave to an external source. I simply connected the MPX 550 Digital Out to the 002 Digital In and it worked.

Torchlight
Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Most effects processors and even some pre's come set to slave because they know the majority of end users are adding these on to a full system that is also controlling the clocking. This default slave setting is merely to allow it to be user friendly.

As you experianced you plugged it right in and had no clocking issues right out of the gate. I applaude companies who set the hardware devices to slave for default. Most of us have a working studio and when we add more gear we want to get back to work right away. Not mess with clocking issues and other distractions.

KS