Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 AM

Default Surround panning of surround tracks

Hi,

I never worked that way befor but i was just trying to pan a LCR track. And i just realize that i can only feed a LCR bus or mono buss but can't to an 5.1 and then have panning option. Do i really have to split my LCR Wild tracks to 3 mono or, one stereo and one mono, to have panning possibilities ?
Do i miss something ?

mik
Old 10-17-2009, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Surround panning of surround tracks

I might not be understanding you question properly, but all you need to do it change you output to a 5.1 (bus or master depending on what it is).

For example, if I have a mono DX track feeding a 5.0 DX bus, I can have my selected track feeding anything from just center, all the way to my 5.0 DX bus, by just selecting the appropriate sub path that I have already setup in my I/O.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:44 AM

Sorry , my english isn't very good. The problem i have is with a LCR track. I want to feed a 5.1 bus and pan that track but it seems impossible. i can only feed an LCR bus or Mono
Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 AM

You need to set up an LCR subpath in the 5.1 bus. You set them up in the I/O Setup menu. Select your 5.1 bus (or hardware output), then click on "subpath".

Once its setup, that option will show up on your tracks output selects.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 AM

yes, that's what i did.
But the fact is that the LCR bus feed the 5.1 bus, but i cannot have any action of pans for my LCR track.
To be clearer : Let's take the example of a Stereo track. I can feed mono, stereo, LCR etc.. A stereo track that feed a stereo bus has pan possibilities. I can center the signal.
But with a LCR track i can't do anything in a LCR bus.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:48 AM

It is assumed that LCR tracks already have the panning information. That is why a LCR stem cannot be panned. The origin of a LCR stem are probably several mono or stereo tracks, and these would be panned when pre-mixed to LCR. If you want to pan these original track beyond LCR, you have to route them to a wider buss. If you re-route an already mixed and panned tracks to a different buss, ProTools will warn you that you will loose the pan information, but you might get lucky and retain the (already done) LCR pan info. If you want to manipulate the sound in 5.1 space, you should think of that from the beginning. That's called planning.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 AM

There is absolutly no logical reason that an LCR track can't have panning information.

It's not a stem, it's a LCR sound put into a LCR track.
It would be a good thing to have pan possibilities as in stereo tracks.But for the moment, back to my old way of working with LCR sounds : one mono and 1 stereo feeding a LCR bus.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:09 AM

What you would want it to have 3 mono panners. Stereo tracks actually get 2 mono panners now, a 3rd panner would need to be added. But what is the difference between this and splitting the LCR track into three mono tracks? Do you have plugins? I think with copy+paste you could copy all plugin automation to the mono tracks. It is a workaournd, but I feel sure it is why DAVID (Digidesign+Avid!!) has not actually created panners for more than 2 channels. I haven't tried it, but I think you can link the panners via groups, too. I'm not sure how positional linkage works, like if you need a 90 degree offset between panners while they are linked. That might be a compromise. I'm not in front of my system to try it.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

It was just a thought as i was listening in protools the new sounds i have made in LCR.
A third panner would be great and would allow a LCR track to feed a 5.1 bus.
LCR tracks can't now.

So yes, you're right, the workarounds are split to mono or using one mono and one stereo. It's just less practical but it works.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
DAVID (Digidesign+Avid!!).

David....

That's awesome!