Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-09-2000, 04:44 PM

Default Re: baking 24 track analog tapes

Call Fletcher @ Mercenary Audio he will know. He sells cool vintage gear too!
www.mercenary.com

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-10-2000, 12:10 AM

Capitol Studios in LA have the ability to bake tapes. They have tape archives dating back over 40 years. Their phone number is 323-871-5001.
Old 04-10-2000, 01:21 AM

Default baking 24 track analog tapes

I know this isn't about protools, but i'm sure theres a few people that read this forum that know about this.
I have some old tapes that wont play on my 827 or JH24. I've heard that baking them can make them playable. Does anyone know much abou this, or anyone in the L.A. area that does this?
thanks, JL
Old 04-10-2000, 04:27 AM

When I get into work later today I'll see if I can find the paperwork. A 3M rep faxed it to me few years ago telling how you can build your own box to do this.
I gave him an earful on how they put out some pure garbage tape in the 80's. The 226 did not hold up well and we lost a good amount of archives. I'm not sure where i put it exactly so it may take a day or two.

Good Luck
Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 04-10-2000, 04:47 AM

For European reference

FX Rentals
London
UK

Can do this, their copy dept can transfer anything to anything and have recently bought a special oven for baking old analog tapes.

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 04-10-2000, 05:46 PM

Call Quantegy- you can ship to them, they'll bake the thing and ship it back. If you need a contact, call me at the studio and we'll dig it up
John
215 923 9999
Old 04-10-2000, 09:17 PM

All of the above is fine, but it is not rocket science. I have been doing it for years...

Here is the recipe....

First, you must do it in an electric oven ONLY, not a gas oven.

Go to Walmart of some kitchenware store and get a small metal thermometor. The kind that has a little stand and a round thermometor.

You need to have an oven that when set on bake will go down to 130-150 deg. Far. Usually that is the very lowest the dial will go. I just barely crack my knob to get that. Let the oven stablize awhile before you bake. Keep it around those settings. I have had mine get up to 160 or so. I don't think that will hurt them. It didn't mine.

Tape down the ends of the reels with masking tape. Place the reels on the racks in the middle of the oven. 1 or several is OK.

You can use plastic reels if you don't let the oven get over 150F. I have had some warp. Metal is better. But I have done a lot on plastic OK.

The time is:

4 hours for 1/4in tape
8 hours for 2" tape.
somewhere in between for all others I guess. I have only done 2" and 1/4"

130-150F is not even finger-burning hot. Remember, coffee is best served at 170-180deg.F

It works great. I was scared to at first till I talked to a fellow engineer who had done this same procedure for years. I tried it and it worked. I also rewind the tape first after baking with a KIMWIPE cleaner against the oxide side of the tape to get rid of lingering residue.

Every tape I have ever baked has worked great. I have probably done 25-30 2" and countless 1/4" in the last 5-6 years or so.

There was an article on baking tapes in EQ magazine and couple of years back. I think I still have it. It told of a unit that looked like a crock pot that you can buy to do it. I also found an article on the internet that explains it. I think it is in Eddie Ciellete's (sp?) site. He writes for EQ and I think he did that article. Do a search on him or just baking audio tapes....I have also seen it done with a box and a hair dryer.

Good luck....It works You don't have to send them off if you do the above.

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin(Nashville),TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 04-10-2000, 09:25 PM

Here is the EC link from EQ. It discuss the pot thing, but the oven method will work fine.
http://www.wendycarlos.com/bake%20a%.../baketape.html

George
www.classicrecording.com
Old 04-10-2000, 09:37 PM

BTW: Their times are a little variable. I always go with 4hr for 1/4" and 8hr for 2". That has always worked fine. He also says 130-140degF. 150 will not hurt it. I would stay at 150 or slightly below esp. with plastic reels. You can reach in a grab that. It won't burn you.

George
www.classicrecording.com