Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-27-1999, 10:25 PM

Default -9073 DAE error when bouncing/Blue G3/expansion chassis/Atto/Miro

When the technical staff installed the setup, witch is: Blue G3/350/256-megs ram with in the internal slots filled with Atto express dual SCSI ultrawide, Miro DC30plus, PCI card for Bit3 expansion chassis. The expansion chassis is filled with PT MIXCore, 2-MIXFarm cards.
The problem is even with a small session with 8 tracks opened with 2 to 4 at the samt time when I try to bounce to disk after 5 or 10 minutes I get DAE -9073 error message. I've downloaded the latest firmware from Atto's website and it didn't change the problem. The only way that I was finally able to bounce was to give preset 8 to DAE buffer size. DAE application memory is 40 megs ram and ProTools'memory is 50 megs ram. On Atto's busses, speed reduced by half of the default settings: 40/20 MB/sec.

Anybody at DIGI knows the solution?
Old 10-28-1999, 12:22 AM

Default Re: -9073 DAE error when bouncing/Blue G3/expansion chassis/Atto/Miro

Once it happened to me too...try to bounce to a different disk from what you're playing...this solved the problem to me
Old 10-28-1999, 12:24 PM

I got this error twice recently but not in ProTools but SVP 4.5.1. the first time I assumed the message was true and I defragged the boot volume which needed it, the second time, my drive was way full.So, problems with disk speed due to fragmentation, or disk full could point to something. However, I have also been getting error on Digidesign SCSI Bus (PT III system) when copying in the finder, making conversions in Peak or backing up in Retrospect 4.2. so who knows?...
Old 10-28-1999, 03:47 PM

maxberg

The ATTO bus should be set to 20/10 and this can be done thru the ATTO Express software in the Device Options page under Synch Rate.

Make sure you disable any third party applications that are running in the background...Norton crash guard, Disk Light, Virus software ect ect.

Also make sure your memory setting are as follows. Pro Tools preferred memory should be set to @30-35k. DAE preferred memory should be set to @35k-40k. Pro Tools and DAE minimum memory setting should be left at it's default. You can confirm this by entering a zero into the minimum field and pressing enter on the keyboard, this will default the minimum memory setting. DAE's playback buffer
size (Finder/DAE/File Menu/Set Playback Buffer Size) should be set to what hardware you own. In your case #2. The cashe setting in the memory control panel should be set to 512k or lower.

After confirming these settings try trashing the DigiSetup File, Pro Tools preference, and DAE preference. These are located in your Mac’s System Folder/Preferences folder. Drag them to the Trash, empty the Trash, then restart the Mac. When you go back into Pro Tools, do so from the Pro Tools Application Icon and not by double clicking on a session. Once Pro Tools is launched, reconfigure the hardware settings.

If your using a Narrow drive on the ATTO? If so make sure your using a high quality adapter that terminates the high bytes.

Verify the same problem with another compatible drive, different cables, active terminator.

Run Norton or Disk First Aid on the drive. Try optimizing the drive or reinitializing it with a "Quick" formatt and create partitions if the drive is larger than 4 gigs for faster access times.

Brad
Old 10-28-1999, 06:20 PM

I've tried all settings that ou suggested. Cache to the lowest settings, minimum extensions, disks defragmented(anyway only one small session on the disk . I une the atto express card: ultra scsi with cheeta drives, you know the "all dressed" setup. The partitions settings on the atto are 20/10 megs/sec., so the buss rate is 40/20, you understand? When you(at Digi) said on your web site that the only approved card at that moment(august 99) with the blue G3 was the atto card. So I've followed your reccommandations. And now what I realize is that I've paid big money for ultrafast drives with an ultra atto thing, and now, I'm confined to use it at half speed settings. In your ad on the web, you didn't told that you buy an engine and after that, you run it half of the advertised speed!

Does someone REALLY KNOWS HOW TO MAKE IT HAPPEN WITH ALL THE AD TOLD BY DIGIDESIGN!!!
Old 10-28-1999, 08:11 PM

maxberg

A few things...

In the ATTO Express software in the Device Options page is your synch rate set to 20/10? We don't require ultra mode for audio playback ( a synch setting of 40/20) for it limits the SCSI cable length and is more critical for audio playback.

Are you bouncing to the same drive your audio is on, to the internal drive, or to another drive in the chain? If you bounce to your internal drive do you get the errors?

Does the 9073 error happen in the same place every time or is it random?

Is this happening in SVP or Pro Tools or both? Please confirm.

What kind of BIT 3 chassis do you own? A 7 or 13 slot?

Brad