Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-25-1999, 10:34 PM

Default Using PT and an O2R

It seems like you can do everything on PT, for anyone who has both, what have you found that the O2R does better than PT? I've heard , from a very reliable source, that mixing on PT's is a bad idea, the quality of it sucks, and that it's better to do the mixing on a seperate board, and just use PT's as an editor. I do have this set up and it would be good to hear creative ways other people have used the same set up. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-26-1999, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Using PT and an O2R

Been occasionally using my 02 for fader control.. but honestly I just feel the true features of the HUI are missing and make to 02R virtually a visual effect when running down mixes.

One dislike I have with the controller MM-16 (i believe) is the mutes are represented backwards. That is, when the mute light on the 02R is red, your protools track is muted. This is backwards in my book. I would much rather see on = red, off = no light.

Transport keys on the 02R for PT's is simply an after thought. no real use with the way its currently designed. Other then that.. nothing more with 02R control...

Now on an interface situation, the Adat bridge with mix+ or 001 is great. I have an AMIII spdif'ed to digi 2 and locks digitally perfectly (after a little voodoo). I also own and use the MOTU 2408 which I use 16 adat i/o's to my 02R. I get the benifit of all the DSP power without using *as much* CPU DSP.
I also take advantage of automix and feel more comfortable with it in Digital Performer. MTC works as a great choice between the 02R and DP/PT's

I would love to hear what others do. Maybe there is something I have overlooked.
Old 10-26-1999, 06:02 PM

What kind of power does the MM-16 give you? I haven't heard of that before, is it like Pro control?
I was thinking of using the O2R for eqíng, compression, maybe even effects, would you guys recommend against this? I have the Waves eq, Renaissance compressor, and then the digi D-verb... It just feels better on the O2R.
Old 10-28-1999, 08:21 PM

Are the Waves eq's better than the the eq's in the O2R?
Old 10-29-1999, 04:19 AM

The O2R is great for accessing and routing a lot of inputs. I use one for all my samplers, keys and various out board gear. I don't use the 02R EQ too much. The EQ is ok, but is a little harsh in the 5k range. The low end isn't exactly warm either. The 02R compressor is ok for some things not needing a lot of help, but it's not overall great. I tend to like outboard compressors the best.
I usually end up either eq'ing to disc via out board gear if I can help it, or using some of the protool plug in's. Filter bank is one of the most musical EQ plug ins and tons better sounding then the 02R.
Mostly I find that 02R is a great "digital patchbay" for inputs and I do like the automation on it and the overall layout. It's fast and I like getting my hands on the faders. Sometimes I use both automation at the same time, protools and the 02R combined. I couldn't work with just protools alone, or using somekind of controller (HUI) It wouldn't solve my input/output problems, and in the end, you still need an all around console for all the little things ie- 2 track playback, control room and studio monitoring etc. The 02R works great with protools in that regard.
Tripit