Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-22-2005, 07:29 PM

Default RAM for ProTools and Mac Mini

Tele Player has convinced me (with his excellent report) to replace my eMac 800mhz with a Mac mini (I've already got a buyer for the eMac). I'm going to get the 1.25 version (and I'll throw it in the trash can 1 year from now when the G5 version comes out) and purchase a Lacie FW external drive to go with it.

My question is in regards to RAM required by PTLE.

Keep in mind, this system will be for Basic PTLE demo purposes and not for doing 32 track (bursting with plug-ins) mixes.

Since there's only 1 slot, I'm really not sure of what to do.

Does a bit of Reason + PTLE require 1GB of RAM, or should 512MB do the trick?
I don't want to get 512 and toss it in the garbage in 6 months when PTLE 7 comes out.
At the same time, I don't want to pay a premium for something I don't need.

Should I get 512 from Apple or 256 from Apple to be replaced by 512 (or 1024) from Crucial/Micron?

Regards,

Markus
Old 01-23-2005, 08:45 AM

Default Re: RAM for ProTools and Mac Mini

I have just thought of a second Mac Mini concern.

Will a non-blue tooth keyboard/mouse Mini make it impossible to use an Mbox, Midi Interface & iLok (+usb keyboard/mouse) on the same system?

Are 2 USB ports enough to use all of the above reliably? Can Midi, iLok and Keyboard/Mouse function through a hub while the Mbox takes 1 port to itself?

Regards,

Markus
Old 01-23-2005, 09:38 AM

I haven't seen any reports on the Apple forums of anybody trying an Mbox with the mini. It should work, but it needs to be tested. I just sent email to a friend, from whom I might be able to borrow an Mbox. I'll report my findings here.

512 might be adequate, but 1G definitely is preferable. Problem is, it's a little tricky opening the case on the mini, and Apple's position isn't perfectly clear on whether this voids the warranty. If you're handy, and willing to accept responsibility, ding it yourself is the way to go.

On the Apple forum, one guy reported that he'd used a Kingston Value RAM PC2700 1G module, which was $140 after rebate. I'm gonna try one today, even though I ordered mine with the $75 512M upgrade. When I ordered, nobody'd ever seen a mini, so I wasn't certain I wanted to open it myself. I opened (and closed) it last night, without problems, so now I'm confident with installing it myself.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Tele Player,

Thanks for the answers. I'm not afraid of opening the Mini, so I will get my own RAM.
Please let me know how the Kingston RAM works for you. I've also looked at Crucial/Micron brand -- their Mac Mini 1GB chip was about $225.

If you can do some preliminary Mbox/Mini tests you should receive some sort of commendation from Digidesign!

Regards,

Markus
Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Tele Player,

Thanks for the answers. I'm not afraid of opening the Mini, so I will get my own RAM.
Please let me know how the Kingston RAM works for you. I've also looked at Crucial/Micron brand -- their Mac Mini 1GB chip was about $225.

If you can do some preliminary Mbox/Mini tests you should receive some sort of commendation from Digidesign!

Regards,

Markus
I returned the Kingston (KVR333/1GR) within an hour. Though it was nominally correct (PC2700, 2.5v, CAS 2.5), it caused several crashes. Since the system has been 100% stable for the past 3 days (since I first plugged it in), I'm confident it was the RAM.

Apple's been shipping PC3200 RAM in these things, though the Apple spec calls for PC2700. Speculation had been that the substitution was just a supply thing, but it may be that their design is just a bit too close to the edge for PC2700, and PC3200 works. That's just my (somewhat educated) conjecture. The thing's only been out 3 days, I expect much will be learned in coming weeks.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I returned the Kingston (KVR333/1GR) within an hour. Though it was nominally correct (PC2700, 2.5v, CAS 2.5), it caused several crashes. Since the system has been 100% stable for the past 3 days (since I first plugged it in), I'm confident it was the RAM.

Apple's been shipping PC3200 RAM in these things, though the Apple spec calls for PC2700. Speculation had been that the substitution was just a supply thing, but it may be that their design is just a bit too close to the edge for PC2700, and PC3200 works. That's just my (somewhat educated) conjecture. The thing's only been out 3 days, I expect much will be learned in coming weeks.
The official Kingston Apple module is PC2700 according to their web site

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...submit1=Search

e.g. KTA-G4333/1G 1GB PC2700 Module

Anyway, I'm sure your right tele player. We will learn a lot in the coming few weeks...
Old 01-24-2005, 09:11 AM

I wish I could find the specs on that KTA-G4333/1G part... I'm wondering what other detail of the mini's requirements it meets, that the KVR333/1GR doesn't.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 PM

I haven't seen an answer to this but I hope I am not re-stating anything. On the issue of the USB port shortage on the Mini, its easy. Get a POWERED USB hub with enough ports for keyboard, mouse, iLok (yes this can be on a shared USB buss), and any other peripheral you will need. Then use the remaining native USB port for the Mbox. Hope this helps.

http://www.Abravemix.com
Old 01-24-2005, 12:18 PM

I'm sure both USB ports on the mini are on one USB bus, so no matter where you plug the Mbox, it would be on the same bus as all the other devices.

I'm hoping to borrow an Mbox for Mac mini testing this week.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:35 PM

Tele Player,

I'll be anxiously awaiting the result of your Mbox test.

If all USB ports on the mini use the same bus, won't the Mbox + Midi + Keyboard & Mouse + iLok create some serious performance issues?

Should be very interesting to find out how well it works. I'm sure that many Mini owners will be Mbox owners.

Regards,

Markus