Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM
amishsixstringer amishsixstringer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 31
Default PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Hey all, I'm scratching my head a bit here.

Recently PT has begun to crash without warning every time I reduce the buffer size in the playback engine. Only when it is being reduced, though. Then I can open protools and the new buffer rate is there, but if I forget to save before changing the rate then I have to go to the backup folder. Having to explain this to clients who are staring at me with their instrument, ready to shred and protools needs a few minutes to start back up is getting annoying.

I've just updated my lynx drivers and firmware. I'm on a lynx aurora 16 with the pcie AEC16e in the computer.

Windows 10 is the OS. It is the most recent update.

I have the most recent version of PT2019 as well.

Is this a "trash prefs" instance? I usually try to avoid then when possible because of how many things I have custom in my workflow, but I can try this if there isn't a great option here.

I have ASIO4All, and it seems to help, BUT it will only recognize 8 inputs/outputs from the lynx for some reason. Maybe I haven't played with it enough? It seems the Lynx driver/firmware should be good here.

Anyhow, I'm all ears if you guys can help me with this latest one.

Thanks!

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Eric Lambert's Avatar
Eric Lambert Eric Lambert is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,810
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

The thing which provokes a crash more than anything else, at least for me, is changing the buffer size. When sessions are small it's rarely an issue, but if there are a few VIs and other CPU eaters, I'm nervous to touch that menu. This seems to be getting worse over the past couple of years.

What I try to do now, before switching buffer sizes, is monitor the cores and make sure that the system is not anywhere close to 100%. I also stop playback and let it smooth out for a few seconds. Let reverbs subside, etc. Clear things out. This helps, but PT still crashes far too often when performing this common action.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 PM
cwsand's Avatar
cwsand cwsand is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,260
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringer View Post
Hey all, I'm scratching my head a bit here.

Recently PT has begun to crash without warning every time I reduce the buffer size in the playback engine. Only when it is being reduced, though. Then I can open protools and the new buffer rate is there, but if I forget to save before changing the rate then I have to go to the backup folder. Having to explain this to clients who are staring at me with their instrument, ready to shred and protools needs a few minutes to start back up is getting annoying.

I've just updated my lynx drivers and firmware. I'm on a lynx aurora 16 with the pcie AEC16e in the computer.

Windows 10 is the OS. It is the most recent update.

I have the most recent version of PT2019 as well.

Is this a "trash prefs" instance? I usually try to avoid then when possible because of how many things I have custom in my workflow, but I can try this if there isn't a great option here.

I have ASIO4All, and it seems to help, BUT it will only recognize 8 inputs/outputs from the lynx for some reason. Maybe I haven't played with it enough? It seems the Lynx driver/firmware should be good here.

Anyhow, I'm all ears if you guys can help me with this latest one.

Thanks!

Neil
Hi, It could be a matter of too many processes running at the same time, or not a powerful enough computer - impossible to guess without much more info on your setup. Have you gone through everything here? (Optimization/Troubleshooting/System Report)

Help Us Help You
__________________
Help Us Help You

Chris
__________________________________________________
Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
TCE Studio Konnekt 48
PreSonus Digimax LT
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2019.12
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 AM
amishsixstringer amishsixstringer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 31
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, It could be a matter of too many processes running at the same time, or not a powerful enough computer - impossible to guess without much more info on your setup. Have you gone through everything here? (Optimization/Troubleshooting/System Report)

Help Us Help You

Thanks for the reply! My computer is a beast. It is a 10 core i7 with 64gb of ram. All the optimization stuff Avid says to do is done. This was a fresh install of windows, protools, etc 3 months ago. When looking at the system usage, it is RARELY above 20% total. Even small sessions crash when switching to smaller buffer sizes.

Another possibly related issue: Playback is never an issue, but even with the 1024sample buffer, often real time bounces fail. It is very frustrating, because I mix hybrid through a fair bit of hardware. I end up having to record the mix into a new stereo track and then apply the mastering chain in a new session. But, that isn't ideal for my workflow.

I'm starting to really think that the lynx drivers are horrible.

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Flyingrockstudios Flyingrockstudios is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Utah, United States
Posts: 26
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Does this still happen if you start the session with all plug ins disabled?
__________________
PT 2019.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:23 AM
amishsixstringer amishsixstringer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 31
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
Does this still happen if you start the session with all plug ins disabled?
Oh, I haven't tried this yet. I'll do that in a few and report back.

Thanks

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 AM
amishsixstringer amishsixstringer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 31
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Even with plugins and hardware inserts inactive, I get crashes when lowering the buffer size. This is with zero other programs or operations happing on the computer, the playback stopped, and the CPU is sitting at 1%.

Any other ideas?

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 AM
colliderman colliderman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 55
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Is it only on lowering or does it crash on raising? Is there Lynx software that might prevent changing the buffer size by other programs? I think some audio drivers have an option for that. Had a problem like that with MOTU drivers once..
__________________
Pro Tools 2018.12
OS X 10.12.6
Mac Mini (2012) Quad 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2019, 10:51 AM
amishsixstringer amishsixstringer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 31
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
Is it only on lowering or does it crash on raising? Is there Lynx software that might prevent changing the buffer size by other programs? I think some audio drivers have an option for that. Had a problem like that with MOTU drivers once..
Yeah, only when Reducing the buffer, not increasing. The LYNX firmware and drivers are most recent update (which is only about 3 weeks ago, actually). The LYNX is set to follow the DAW buffer.

Neil
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM
nedorama nedorama is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 601
Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

What data drives do you have and how are they connected?

I'd run all disk utilities to ensure the drives are good.
Download BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test to ensure speed isn't ridiculously low.

May not be an issue, or it may be.
__________________
Regards,
Ned
Monkey Boy Studios
2013 15" MBP, 16GB, 512GB SSD; 10.15.2; 1.5TB FW800 External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2019.12
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT crashes after launch when playback buffer is changed banjo71 Pro Tools 12 0 01-25-2019 07:55 PM
Opening MIDI plugin during playback CRASHES PT every time. gsguitarest macOS 1 12-06-2012 02:18 AM
H/W buffer size cannot reduce any further Mike1360 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 1 05-17-2012 12:40 PM
H/W Buffer Size - reduce - increase?? cant win bigstribs 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 01-20-2010 05:50 AM
CPU Conflict Reduce H/W Buffer... Jonathanginese 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 06-26-2009 11:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com