Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-09-2002, 10:05 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist:
My posts have been related to the topic, where as yours are your own little p i s s y fest, again no, what you are selling as the topic is not what the rest here are discussing.
Why don't you take your own advice and start your own little petty pot shot thread, unless you have something constructive to add.

Let the idiotic migrate, with the Petty Pied Piper.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Keep on the topic, Loudie...let's continue on our quest for even freq response at 50hz.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:06 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by stelios88:
The only way it COULD sound different (loudist) is if there is distortion, gain, or frequency imbalance. This is a FACT and I am not interested in debating the audio signatures of Neve, Studer, tubes, discrete, transformers, et al. You guys can argue that 'til your teeth fall out.

Steve
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Get your FACTS straight.
I did not say that about 1k, but I do agree with it. So does Rudy Van Gelder.

Oh my, my, the usual mudslingers are out in force again.

You are showing how idiotic you are (again) with your latest 'muddying the waters with disinformation' post.

As smEggma n also does with the proclomation that MM said it was -6db at 50hz, MM said it was LIKE it was down 6db at 50 hz.

We have been over this ground before, the both of you.

Get your facts straight.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bombfactory:

> Hey Boneheads....
> Tone tests don't mean that much to what
> it actually sounds like...

I agree. That's why I posted the following on MARCH 25th. Nobody followed up on this one, either.

--------

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 01:15

As part of doing our digital models at 96kHz and 192kHz, we ran noise through the interfaces at all sample rates. They measure flat.

Also as part of testing, we recorded noise to our Studer A800 and 3M machines. We did this both "straight to tape" as well as through the bus amps and group output transformers on our Trident A Range.

Transformer and recorder effects were immediately evident in frequency and phase plots, as you'd expect.

We dumped the tape into Pro Tools at 48, 96 and 192kHz for further analysis. We also recorded the noise straight into Pro Tools as well. Standard test procedures.

Analyzing the wave files, as well as analyzing the data in the analog domain post Pro Tools D/A, we saw no significant drop off as part of the transfer (in or out).

Also for obvious reasons: both 2" machines lost way, way more low end from the analog noise source than the digital recording.

But none of this affects Mixerman's claims. "Sound flat" and "measure flat" are totally different, of course.

My point with Mixerman is that I want to start getting down to business here. I can attest that my Digi 96 and 192 interfaces are not down 6dB at 60Hz. However, due to lack of data, I cannot speak for his rig or setup.

--Erik
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bombfactory,

If you still have these files, it would be an interesting experiment to set up a calibrated mic in front of a good sounding full range speaker. Run the same noise generator at the same level through a channel to the mix buss and monitor, while generating a plot from the mic... this would be the control plot. Then using the same channel and level, play the output of the individual files and plot the mic results. It would be interesting to see if there are differing results testing the actual reproduced audio energy.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eggman:
Ah, in this regard, I stand corrected. Yes, MM did say that it "sounded" like it was down 6db@50hz, not that he tested that specifically. I apologize for the misquoting of his remarks.

Rudy Van Gelder was a great engineer. Good call there, Loudist...it's possible you have some knowledge in our industry after all. At least your history knowledge is coming along.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You obviously have no clue to what I know, but that is not important to the validity of my statements.
Your 'industry' is not the same as mine, in concept, judging from your posts and replies.
Quote:

Now, stay on topic, leave out all the slurs (bonehead, idiot, etc) and we might be able to get somewhere. Especially if you call your Emporer to ask where and when the test will be undertaken, so we can really see what's up with HD and low end.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What a hippocritical statement.
Sheesh! What a troll you are, BTW that is an accurate assessment, not a slur.

Boneheads and idiots are the ones who keep coming back to this thread and posting muddying drivel and troll bait, opening old side issues to divert the natural direction the posts are taking.
Apparently, you qualify.

You don't like MM, we get it... move on...
make your own thread about that if you wish.

Repeat: Sheesh
Old 07-09-2002, 02:05 PM

Quote:

You obviously have no clue to what I know, but that is not important to the validity of my statements.

Boneheads and idiots are the ones who keep coming back to this thread and posting muddying drivel and troll bait, opening old side issues to divert the natural direction the posts are taking.
Apparently, you qualify.

Repeat: Sheesh[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My, but you are an excitable one. Calm down there, Loudist. Goodness. Take a couple of deep, cleansing breaths. You're getting all worked up over this. You always sound so confrontational. Can't you just post quietly and nicely like the rest of us here? Most of us are here to simply learn the ups and downs of ProTools, not pick fights and call each other names.

Stay focused on the topic here. Let's get back to that "sounds like" -6@50hz. What has been your experience in this area? Do you have an HD rig or worked with one? How did the low end seem to you?
Old 07-09-2002, 02:14 PM

PS...before you start ranting again...I just visited the allmusic.com site to peek at Rudy V.G.'s discography...now that really is something. That's the longest disco I've come across up there. For anyone who doesn't know about Rudy, you should visit the site and check those credentials. Heck...that IS amazing.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eggman:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by loudist:

You obviously have no clue to what I know, but that is not important to the validity of my statements.

Apparently, you qualify.

Repeat: Sheesh
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My, but you are an excitable one. Calm down there, Loudist. Goodness. Take a couple of deep, cleansing breaths. You're getting all worked up over this. You always sound so confrontational. Can't you just post quietly and nicely like the rest of us here? Most of us are here to simply learn the ups and downs of ProTools, not pick fights and call each other names.

Stay focused on the topic here. Let's get back to that "sounds like" -6@50hz. What has been your experience in this area? Do you have an HD rig or worked with one? How did the low end seem to you?[/QB]<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yea Right...
"Smiling faces, sometimes, pretend to be your friend...."
Old 07-09-2002, 03:13 PM

Now girls, calm down.

This is the reason I don't use Usenet anymore. This is SO rec.audio.pro.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fraxby:
Now girls, calm down.

This is the reason I don't use Usenet anymore. This is SO rec.audio.pro.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know...I know...I apologize. I keep trying to keep loudist on topic, but he just has to keep reaching for the mud! Maybe if we all try...

OK...back to the topic. Lynn, you are killer and I can't wait for the CD. That should be cool. Dave, any word from MM on the test?

I can say that my HD system has been rock solid...not a single crash. Unfortunately, I'm not really set up for a 2" into HD transfer, otherwise, I'd jump in on that. I did a mix on HD recently and had a bit of a struggle with the "lack of glue" issue. But, it's hard from just one song to tell if that was the recording, the arrangement, my (lack of) abilities, my lack of experience with HD, etc. So, I'm still trying to figure that out.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:34 PM

Erik from BF said :
Quote:
If and when we run out of good-sounding gear to model, we'll move on to the crap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You must be out of good stuff already since you've done the Mastererizer ( which I enjoy ).

How about a modeling translator (sort of like the Antares-Mic Modelor) but for mic Pre's! (or better - one for mics or one for mic pre& mics).
"I tracked it on a O2R mic pre make it sound like a Neve88r" or "I tracked it on a Mackie 1604 mic pre - make it sound like a Avalon" or "I tracked it with a Millinea Medea HV-3 - make it sound like a Televunken V72"

I like the last idea best. I don't believe its possible really (and I don't really find the Antares mic Modelor very accurate either). And then you have to model hundred's of items for one product! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

This is now off-topic - so lets move it to the "Bombfactory -WTF" thread.