Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-01-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Fuston:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In truth, the specs told us very little. There was one unit that tested as flat as any and yet sounded like a transistor radio. Another unit tested flat and sounded like it included Aphex's "Big Bottom" circuit, the low end was so hyped.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lynn, I have tried to tell some here that testing flat doesn't mean sounding flat.
I was strongly 'challenged' about this statement.
Thanks for proving this point.

Where do I sign up for a CD?
Old 07-01-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Fuston:

In truth, the specs told us very little. There was one unit that tested as flat as any and yet sounded like a transistor radio. Another unit tested flat and sounded like it included Aphex's "Big Bottom" circuit, the low end was so hyped.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lynn,

Your test sounds interesting. I am not surprised to hear the frequency sweeps revealed little about the actual "sound" of the units you tested. I can think of many "perfect on paper" designs that did not sound good in practice. If you have already posted it here before, please forgive me, but do you have any text describing the test and procedures anywhere? I will buy a CD when they are ready.

I may be exposing my ignorance of the REAL issue beneath this thread, but I thought there was an assertion that the HD interfaces could not reliably record and reproduce low frequency signals. That part of it can be easily tested and verified. Whether or not the HD interfaces actually sound good is going to be more subjective. Finding the reasons why they may not sound good to someone would require a great deal more effort than I am willing to exert.

Best,
Old 07-01-2002, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyn:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Lynn Fuston:

In truth, the specs told us very little. There was one unit that tested as flat as any and yet sounded like a transistor radio. Another unit tested flat and sounded like it included Aphex's "Big Bottom" circuit, the low end was so hyped.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lynn,

Your test sounds interesting. I am not surprised to hear the frequency sweeps revealed little about the actual "sound" of the units you tested. I can think of many "perfect on paper" designs that did not sound good in practice. If you have already posted it here before, please forgive me, but do you have any text describing the test and procedures anywhere? I will buy a CD when they are ready.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The short answer is that I lined up 30 ADCs, including standalones and recorders and soundcards, and listened to all of them side by side. The signal path was as short as possible and all units were calibrated to within .1 dB. The standard reference level was +4 in = -15 dBFS out.

The signal sources were varied. The first was an agressive, rock sounding tune that is on the next Hayseed Dixie album, which features a full drum kit, bass, electric guitars, banjo, mandolin and fiddle and voice. It was very nicely tracked to a RADAR 24/96 at 48K. The mix was analog, done live on the session. There was no automation involved or any fader moves. A static mix.

The second was sourced from analog tape and was something that I recorded myself the day before. It featured three acoustic guitars and one vocalist, named Jonell Mosser. She's a local legend and it is simply amazing to listen to her sing. She sang on a U67 connected via DH Labs AirMatrix mic cables to a Manley SLAM! which then went via AirMatrix cables to an OTARI MTR-90II using Ampex 499. The guitar was miked with an A-T 4033 and a Neumann KM-84 which went, via AirMatrix, to my Focusrite ISA-110s and then to the 2" machine using the same cables. All of it was printed onto 5 tracks. The mix from that source was done analog and was static as well. The point was to stay as close to the source as possible, which is why I didn't bother printing mixes to 1/2" and losing another generation.

The third source was from SACD of a hugely dynamic big band recording by Tom Jung of the Bob Mintzner Orchestra. This was originally recorded to DSD and our playback source was from that SACD. This CD, I should mention, won a Grammy last year for DMP. It is an amazing recording, full of an astounding amount of detail.

The most interesting part of this whole exercise was listening to how the different converters "re-arranged" the audio, allowing you to hear different parts and different instruments depending on the converter. It was very educational and profoundly interesting.

There's more info at my web board under the thread tltled 3D ADC CD, including a list of converters that we intended to audition. There were some last minute substitutions and some exclusions, but it will give you an idea anyway. I intend to have the CDs ready to ship before AES. I am currently editing all 120 cuts and pouring over the slides from the party.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio Inc.
www.3daudioinc.com
Old 07-01-2002, 05:14 PM

Hats off to Lynn!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 07-01-2002, 06:08 PM

Quote:

On the off chance anyone here is sincerely interested in finding out if Pro Tools HD has a genuine problem recording/reproducing low frequency, I believe I could design and post a test, (one you could do yourself), that is simple enough and fool proof enough to satisfy most reasonable people.

Any takers?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well yeah, if you have the gear, go do it. It's a no-brainer. Just transfer some tracks to HD, mix them out through the console, and compare them with the 2" tracks themselves mixed on the same console. ( Run a 1 khz tone to match levels.) Post a couple of files. Badda bing. Throw in a Radar for comparison if you want to.

-Rick
Old 07-01-2002, 08:16 PM

Rick,

The test I could propose would only verify whether or not the HD system can record and playback low frequency information reliably. Somewhere in this thread that issue was called directly into question. The subjective aspects, the stuff that Lynn is doing, would have to be evaluated by each user. Lynn's CD may be helpful in that regard.

Lynn,

You are my hero of the month, what a gargantuan undertaking. I wish I paid more attention earlier. I would have flown out to listen that test.

Absolute respect...
Old 07-03-2002, 02:43 PM

Yeah...Lynn, that sounds like it will make a VERY cool CD. Can't wait to hear it!

Dave C....any news on the HD testing?

J
Old 07-04-2002, 03:27 AM

no word from MM...
Old 07-04-2002, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCarlock:
no word from MM...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, that is SURE surprising, isn't it? Oh sure...he'll do the test...
Old 07-05-2002, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Rick,

The test I could propose would only verify whether or not the HD system can record and playback low frequency information reliably. Somewhere in this thread that issue was called directly into question. .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'd have to quote about 800 posts to tell you what an understatement that is! Yes, indeed, HD's ability to pass LF information is certainly the crux of the biscuit.

-Rick