Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Default No Sound, 2019.6, Windows, ASIO4ALL

I started an audio + video project on a school computer (mac) and and need to finish it today on my personal computer (Dell, Windows 10). I'm using Pro Tools 2019.6 and have the ASIO4ALL driver installed and selected as playback engine.

The sound on my computer works, and PT recognizes the audio on the clips in the mixers. Despite this it isn't making any sound. I tried playing other generic projects generated by Pro Tools and ran into the same issue, so it seems like an issue with Pro Tools and my computer rather than the specific project.

I need to finish this project today and have struck out reading through other posts, so any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Old 10-13-2019, 03:34 PM

Default Re: No Sound, 2019.6, Windows, ASIO4ALL

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Thanks for the helpful description of what you are going.

Double check you have the Playback Engine selected you think you do. (no seriously, go check)

Are Pro Tools track and master fader meters moving when you play stuff?

Exit Pro Tools.

Go into Windows Sound Control Panel and try to make sure Windows sound is *not* using the same device you are trying to use via ASIO4ALL

In the ASIO4ALL Control Panel you should see the audio devices available. Make sure that device you want to use via ASIO4ALL selected.

Start up Pro Tools. Check playback engine is correct. Does it work now? if not go to Setup>IO>Input and select all the IO paths by shift-clicking on them, then click on the Delete Path button, then click on the Default button. Repeat that for the Output and Bus pages.

Still not working attach screen shots of both the Windows Sound and ASIO4ALL Control panels and the Input, Output and Bus IO setup pages.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-13-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:59 PM

Thank you for the detailed message!

I didn't make any changes but the sound suddenly started working, the only problem is that now it is either static + clip sounds or just static. I've seen a few other posts on static, so I'll check through those before asking for more help.

Thank you again, so much.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Magic just working again may be the playback engine was not what you thought it was.

Check the monitor cables/connections.

If things are cutting in and out then you may have a problem with ASIO4ALL and/or the underlying Windows audio driver. This is not a good way to work, you are nearly always better off with a dedicated ASIO audio interface. It may be worth checking you have the latest WDM audio drivers and ASIO4ALL versions... try lookin at the audio chip/sound card manufacturers website for their latgest WDM drivers... and if they have ASIO drivers use those and forget using ASIO4ALL.

Static or a fast clicking noise?

What IO buffer size? What sample rate? Set it as large as it can go to test. If you are just mixing it should be set that way anyhow.

Make sure ignore errors is not checked in the playback engine dialog... and report any AAE errors that happen.

Try starting with a stupidly simple session, just one stereo audio track and drag and drop a know good MP3 or similar onto that track... does that play OK?

If you have low signal levels coming out of Pro Tools and are having to turn up the monitor gain you will hear static/white/pink noise, especially on cheap computer monitors. Try increasing the level on the master fader and decrease the volume on the monitors.