Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-08-2010, 10:46 AM

Question Weird Bug??! 8.0.3 will not "remember" which playlist lanes are hidden!

I have a weird-ass workflow that includes duplicating large groups of playlists many times, a result of recording multiple songs/takes in one session.

After tracking, I create individual song sessions and use Filter Lanes> Show Only Lanes With> Regions Within The Edit Selection to clean everything up quickly. This is great, until I reopen a session after saving and closing and... all of the "hidden" playlist lanes are visible again

Anyone else have this problem? Any workarounds? Is there a bug in the soup? Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Unhappy Re: Weird Bug??! 8.0.3 will not "remember" which playlist lanes are hidden!

I got this since 8.0 and i've never got the point at to-now with 8.03 installed, if someone should help us...

All the best, Eriberto
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Weird Bug??! 8.0.3 will not "remember" which playlist lanes are hidden!

Playlist view is only half baked. It really needs a lot of attention and work. I still use it for comping vocals, but it is really buggy.

I have seen times when the lanes will not expand their view so that you can see what is on the lists better. It is really buggy when using it to comp multi-track stuff. I used it a few times to comp together a multi-track drum part only to realize later that all the tracks hadn't comped together from the same playlists creating a comping nightmare.

I also would like to see the ability to have the playlist colors refreshed. To be able to sort them according to take and name. To be able to keep certain tracks hidden and also to have playlists for midi.

A cool idea, but it definitely needs work. Fingers crossed for 8.1.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Weird Bug??! 8.0.3 will not "remember" which playlist lanes are hidden!

Yes - the playlists feature has always been challenging when using groups especially, even before the 8.x visible lanes etc.

If you accidentally do not select a track to duplicate, or have the group deactivated, and/or forget to record arm a track, then the whole thing gets thrown off and there is no way to fix it if you are out of undo range (that I know of). If you want to keep all your .xx track names and _xx file names correlated and also recognized by PT, you wind up having to create new tracks and a new group.

The matching takes feature also seems to work slightly randomly, often not recognizing files with the same start time. It would be great if there was a feature that allowed you to reassemble/sort takes across multiple tracks and groups based on the file creation date (i.e. files that were actually recorded at the same time), in addition to matching start-in times.

The one song per session model is super antiquated, due to massive gains in CPU power and HD space - and the track/ file management system (or lack thereof) remains stuck in a 1998 workflow. How about a preference for being able to designate a suffix for all new/ duplicate playlists? Or maybe an OS-style folder system to keep the file list organized by take/song/group instead of the current mess of literally thousands of regions with only rudimentary search/filtering options?

I'm sure some of you have some better ideas - let's here them!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Cabbagerock,

I completely agree. I had a scenario where we were pulling in audio files that were recorded in another sequencer. I was trying to group the different takes together in their respective playlist.

In other words, I had audio files named: congas.01, bass.01, acousticGTR.01, congas.02, bass.02, acousticGTR.02 etc. etc. etc. I created three audio tracks, names each of them: congas.01, bass.01, acousticGTR.01. I put the audio files on the correct tracks and then grouped them together. Then I said new playlist, and put the .02 audio tracks. When I was done doing this with about 3-4 different sets of playlists, I thought that I would be able to choose playlist .02 and have all of them switch to their playlist .02. But it didn't work.

I assume this is one of the kind of thing you are describing.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Yes - exactly that type of situation.

There is no way to modify or even view the criteria that PT uses to group playlists, so you either have to move regions onto playlists with incongruous names (possibly on top of another region that then becomes a playlist "orphan"), or you have to create a whole new set of tracks with brand new playlists for that group, which is extremely time consuming.