Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Purchase PT9 upgrade from 7.4... but sold the 002...

Ok, had a 002 Rack for years but sold it. Last version of PT I purchased was 7.4. Swore I'd never give another penny till the company released what I wanted... well, a while later and they finally have... and I'd like to give some money...

However, I'm wondering in order to qualify for the upgrade price are people required to still currently own the hardware?

If so, that would be a frustrating policy for me since they already have gotten my money for the hardware in the past (and many software upgrades). I'd have to unfortunately pass again on jumping back on the Avid bandwagon for now.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Purchase PT9 upgrade from 7.4... but sold the 002...

Quote:
Originally Posted by football2 View Post
Ok, had a 002 Rack for years but sold it. Last version of PT I purchased was 7.4. Swore I'd never give another penny till the company released what I wanted... well, a while later and they finally have... and I'd like to give some money...

However, I'm wondering in order to qualify for the upgrade price are people required to still currently own the hardware?

If so, that would be a frustrating policy for me since they already have gotten my money for the hardware in the past (and many software upgrades). I'd have to unfortunately pass again on jumping back on the Avid bandwagon for now.
Sorry, It looks like when you sold the 002 Rack, you also sold your ability to crossgrade to PT9. You are still in the position to purchase PT9 at the full price of $599.00 instead of the crossgrade price of $249.00 however. The price is not that bad when you consider the price of other full featured DAWs like LogicPro, Cubase, Digital Performer, Sonar etc. Nevertheless it still stings a bit.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM

One of the steps of the crossgrade from LE requires serial number of your current hardware before you can purchase it.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Sorry, It looks like when you sold the 002 Rack, you also sold your ability to crossgrade to PT9. You are still in the position to purchase PT9 at the full price of $599.00 instead of the crossgrade price of $249.00 however. The price is not that bad when you consider the price of other full featured DAWs like LogicPro, Cubase, Digital Performer, Sonar etc. Nevertheless it still stings a bit.
Oh, that sucks for me then. $249 was already pushing it with my budget. $599 is way over the top. Not saying it's not worth it but I'll have to pass again unfortunately.

By the way, I read through everything in FAQ for PT9 and didn't see that policy anywhere. Only saw that for HD the hardware was required. Anyway, if you (or anyone else) actually has an AVID link for that policy for former LE hardware owners, please let me know. I want to be 110% sure before I vanish from Pro Tools land again.

Thank you for the reply.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick View Post
One of the steps of the crossgrade from LE requires serial number of your current hardware before you can purchase it.
So, if I found an inexpensive used MBox, that even qualifies for the upgrade price?

Going to re-read this stuff again too.

Thank you
Old 11-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Can people please realize that AVID is still a hardware company even though they have released PT9. Efforts to circumvent AVID's policies are probably more trouble than it's worth.

a) If you legitimately own AVID hardware, there is a crossgrade available for you, at a discount.

b) If you want to use PT9 with someone else's hardware, or no hardware, you don't qualify for the upgrade. Pony up for the full version.

c) Buying used equipment has it's own set of issues, and you'll want to perform a proper transfer of ownership- you don't want to buy some used MBox and find out someone already used that serial number to score a copy of PT9 at the upgrade price.

Word to the wise...
[email protected]
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by football2 View Post
Oh, that sucks for me then. $249 was already pushing it with my budget. $599 is way over the top. Not saying it's not worth it but I'll have to pass again unfortunately.

By the way, I read through everything in FAQ for PT9 and didn't see that policy anywhere. Only saw that for HD the hardware was required. Anyway, if you (or anyone else) actually has an AVID link for that policy for former LE hardware owners, please let me know. I want to be 110% sure before I vanish from Pro Tools land again.

Thank you for the reply.
That's one of the complaints. One unknowing user that threw away his 002 years ago, paid for the upgrade (credit card processed) only to find out that to download the crossgrade it required the serial number of the hardware. Luckily AVID agreed to refund him the crossgrade price. I can verify that I had to provide my hardware serial number before I was able to download the crossgrade. I don't know where that information is availabe in writing but all of us that did the crossgrade had to do the same.

As warned by a previous poster, be careful if you buy a used mbox2 or other MAudio or Digidesign hardware as the previous owner may have already used the serial number for a crossgrade and it will not allow you to reuse it.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 11-15-2010, 03:59 PM

The owner of a studio I've been working at is selling an MBox, I've had no interest in it... till now. Still don't actually want to buy anymore Avid hardware that I won't be using but there is a $350 difference in price from crossgrade to full version and that would keep Avid from getting any money from me right now.

The Avid sight needs to be clearer about what interfaces from what era etc... work for the upgrade price.

I don't see ANYTHING anywhere on Avid that suggests there is something wrong if a person purchases a used piece of Avid hardware to get the upgrade price. Hell, if my grandmother transferred ownership to me for free I would think that still qualifies until I read otherwise from an Avid employee.

I have already purchased an 002 Rack, that should be worth something (used it for years) and purchased many software upgrades from them (which they have a record of). This policy is quite a turnoff to me (even though it doesn't even seem to be clearly written anywhere on the site) and it will probably keep them from getting my money... AGAIN.

Almost had my money. I want to give it to you... why make it so hard??? Max, you still there???

On hold waiting for someone to pick up the phone over at Avid.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Ok, spoke to someone at Avid.

No problem buying a cheap MBox 2 from my friend to get the crossgrade price. I do find it ridiculous that I even have to do that having purchased and owned the 002 hardware for years.

I do not like the policy in general. If I can get the MBox cheap enough then I might still do the crossgrade and voila, Avid gets my money again. We'll see.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM

I think I made it pretty clear that you MUST have the serial number of the MAudio or Digidesign hardware to get the crossgrade price. If you can get the hardware from someone (grandmother's included) AND the registered serial number has not been used to upgrade already, you are qualified for the crossgrade price. Go for it.

The point is that current owners of Protools M-Powered or Protools LE hardware are eligible for the corssgrade. Since you sold your 002R, you are not a CURRENT owner of the qualifying hardware anymore according to the definition.

I see nothing wrong with trying to get the best price for hardware or software. It sounds like you have not been too happy with AVID in the past and therefore don't want to give them your money (or any more of your money). I suppose if you buy a used interface, AVID does not get your money directly.

When you sold the 002R you got back some money and also benefited from the time that you did own and use Protools with it. If you once again want to use Protools, it is only fair to pay AVID for the license to use their software products.

In case you are not aware, you also MUST purchase an iLok to use PT9. I just didn't want you to get upset when you find out. iLok is not owned by AVID (at least I don't know that it is).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB