Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-1999, 01:36 PM

Default Protools, digital performer and MTP AV

I have been unsuccessfully trying to set up my studio with the above and it has been a nightmare. Between working with the manuals of all three at the same time there is just massive confusion.
Is there anyone out there with a similar setup (Protools III core system with PT 4.2 and 882/20 IO, Dig. Performer 2, MTP AV, K2000 sampler synth, mackie mix board. At the moment I am using Free Midi but maybe it would be better to run OMS too?) that can give me a step by step instruction to set this all up?
I seemed to be able to make Performer ready for accepting input from Protools but as soon as I started Protools I would get a message that the digidesign hardware is already in use by another app or not connected. With Performer I am using DAE set to the I/O card installed on my G3, so of course I would be using the hardware but why is that a problem?

Thanks
Old 10-13-1999, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Protools, digital performer and MTP AV

I will be bringing up a similar system in a few days.
I am planning on working exclusively in Performer at first, and then transferring to Pro Tools for final mix. You might want to consider this approach. Performer has an export to OMF utility that should speed things up. I tried at Computers and Music in San Francisco and it looked a little clunky, but workable.
I will also try to see if I can sync them all up and run simultaneously.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-1999, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Protools, digital performer and MTP AV

It sounds like you may be trying to run Digital Performer with audio and Pro Tools at the same time. This won't work.

If you want to use both applications at the same time you must run Digital Performer in "midi only" mode which will disable the audio portion of Digital Performer.

DAE will only allow one "DAE audio" application (Digital Performer OR Pro Tools) at a time.

Using Performer for midi and Pro Tools for audio at the same time will work. I used Freemidi only (disable OMS) and slaved Performer to Pro Tools.

Or... you can use Digital Performer to do both midi and audio and don't launch Pro Tools at all. Then use the method jhayward mentions, an OMF export, to get to Pro Tools at a later time.

Jon