Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 08:01 AM

Default What Rackmount computer case are U using?

Hey yal.

I am building an Allenstein but want to rackmount it. What Rackmount cases are you using that you are really happy with? Links would be really cool or site names.

I searched but couldn't find anything on this and the Best Desktop thread links to a black case on New Egg, but no part numbers or anything.

Thanks in advance,

Ross
Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 AM

Default Re: What Rackmount computer case are U using?

this one. actually, i have its predecessor. the only difference i can see is the grill pattern on the door. works great. lots of room.

i bought better fans (panaflo) and reduced their voltage to 7v from 12v to slow them down. its really quiet.

also, choose your power supply carefully. the quietest ones have a single 12cm fan. i bought a coolmax 350w at newegg and is quieter than my old enermax.

here are some fanless PSUs. i can't find them anywhere for sale, but they can't be that far off.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:40 AM

I use this one >Intel SC5200 w/650W 2+1/Rack< from ATIC computers, and the price is canadian$.
BTW disconnect the power warning alarm...its annoying, cuz it beeps on every startup from power off.
Old 08-08-2004, 05:22 AM

Do a search for this case.
Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech Black 19" Rack-Mount 4U Chassis, Model "IPC4032-BK"
It sells at NewEgg for about $70.00
They make both aluminum and steel, but they don't come with a Power supply, which is good cause the power supplys for Rackservers are not all that great for a high end audio work station.
(aluminum is sooo much lighter if you ever have to move it in and out of a rack)
They also have a cool Silver aluminum case.
I have built several for some clients who saw mine and wanted one.
I have modded the crap out of them (extensive water cooling systems, CCL lights, Plexi case windows)

If you want a lot of internal hard drives or if you use a lot of 'pull out drives'
then you might want to look at something with a lot of 5.25" drive bays
like the: A+GPB Black 4U Rackmount Case, Model "RM-4U4830"

I-Star has a decent selection

Put " 4U Rack Server Case" into the pricewatch.com search or at Newegg or even Froogle.com (Google)
that is how I found the Skyhawk line of cases.
Always check out the manufacturers web sight before you buy, just to see if the have another model that might fit your needs better. Also, some cases are just rebranded, so keep an eye out.

Also Koolance makes a custom case with water cooling kit already intargrated. 'Koolance.com'

btw: CHENBRO cases are well built... but silly expensive for the quality. Not worth your time.