Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-19-2015, 06:55 AM

Default Pro Tools 11/10 Upgrade from 9...

Been searching and can't quite seem to find how the heck to upgrade my PT9 to PT10.

Yes, I've seen that PT10 and PT11 are bundled together (really just want to use 10 for now).

On the Avid site I can only find upgrades to purchase for PT12.

Haven't been using Pro Tools for a long time and am trying to sort through this.

Would appreciate some guidance.

Thank you
Old 05-19-2015, 07:24 AM

The a Protools 12 upgrade is a bundled license for Protools 10/11/12. Go ahead and upgrade to 12. You'll get one year of support and upgrades included but you'll need to pay annually to continue to get upgrades in the future.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.4 running Protools 2020.3.0
Old 05-19-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
The a Protools 12 upgrade is a bundled license for Protools 10/11/12. Go ahead and upgrade to 12. You'll get one year of support and upgrades included but you'll need to pay annually to continue to get upgrades in the future.
Great. Thank you so much for the info.

Searched as best I could and for some reason didn't come across that pointed out anywhere.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I went to the Avid store and don't see that spelled out anywhere (that an upgrade to 12 includes licenses for 10 and 11) in the descriptions.

I'm not suggesting you're incorrect at all... but what the heck Avid, when trying to figure out what package I want, I'd expect that to be a highlighted thing in the description.

The ONLY reference I could find was that one package said you actually had to GIVE UP your old license (meaning, if you have a license for 9 or 10).
Old 05-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Well you could search DUC for the answer and you will find hundreds of posts explaining that Pro Tools 12 includes a combo license for 12, 11, 10. Had you done that you had not even had to ask the question, let alone question the answer you got.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well you could search DUC for the answer and you will find hundreds of posts explaining that Pro Tools 12 includes a combo license for 12, 11, 10. Had you done that you had not even had to ask the question, let alone question the answer you got.
I said thank you for the info in my reply. I also previously mentioned I searched (did you even read my initial post?). WAY more than I would have liked to.

My search skills apparently aren't that great.

AND, I stand by that it SHOULD BE CLEARLY LAID OUT IN THE DESCRIPTION WHEN I GO TO PICK OUT AND BUY A PACKAGE.

Good lord, you really think that's too much to ask?

You know this stuff inside and out from being on the DUC cause you have 7,000 posts. I'm barely here but WANT TO GIVE AVID SOME MONEY.

It's not my main DAW anymore. I was brought a session in PT and just want to upgrade from 9 to 10. I spent plenty of time between sessions last night and today/tonight trying to get clear on this stuff.

I did notice from searching that I'm not the only one who's been a little confused by this stuff.

No wonder I don't come here often, I can call my dad if I want to be talked to in that tone.

And holy cow, please read my replies again. I specifically DID NOT question the guy's info that he gave me.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO THE WEB STORE AND BE ABLE TO PICK OUT/PURCHASE THE DAMN PACKAGE THAT INCLUDES PT10 AND I WANT IT TO SAY IT's INCLUDED.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Default Pro Tools 11/10 Upgrade from 9...

There is a FAQ that answers the exact question http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...censing-FAQ#17 It is hard to Google search for Pro Tools 12 license info and not have that FAQ in the top few results.

Folks who have been around the last few Pro Tools upgrades will know about the combo licenses in those releases, so this won't be a surprise (and they'll know to try searching for "combo" as a keyword). This started after Pro Tools 9, which explains why you never heard of it.

You should take your time and read all the info on Avid's new licensing mess, including that FAQ, there are some unfriendly changes in Licensing with Pro Tools 12, including the need for you to pay an annual tax which includes upgrades, if you don't keep paying that you can't just later decide to upgrade.

And DUC search can suck, you are often better off using Google search with a site:duc.avid.com site qualifier in the text string of the search.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-20-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There is a FAQ that answers the exact question http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...censing-FAQ#17 It is hard to Google search for Pro Tools 12 license info and not have that FAQ in the top few results.

Folks who have been around the last few Pro Tools upgrades will know about the combo licenses in past releases, so thus won't be a surprise (and they'll know to try searching for "combo" as a keyword).

But DUC search can suck, you are better off using Goole search with a site:duc.avid.com site qualifier.
Darryl, I did the best searches I could. Here and on Google. I really did.

I will buy into that I may suck at doing searches. Definitely put the time in though.

Appreciated the guy's response and STILL found myself confused on the AVID store. One package even seemed to be saying that you have to relinquish old licenses to upgrade.

Anyway, frustrating and not feeling to psyched about pursuing purchasing an upgrade right now.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 PM

You are reading faster than I can type and correct posts on my iPhone. See my last post for a hopefully more helpful reply.