Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Digi should be scared. The natives are coming.

LOL... Now THAT'S funny!

Blessings!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
As hard as I’ve been fighting it, and as much as I would prefer to just keep the blinders on,
I think I am becoming one of the “January Boys”.
When I first installed PT LE 5.01 with my 001 and PIII computer 10 years ago, I just wanted to double click the PT Icon and start recording music after it was installed. Back then I knew next to nothing about computers and the inner workings of Operatiing Systems and I also had no interest at all in that technical aspect side of things. I just wanted to record music. Fast forward 10 years, and thanks to Digidesign, I'm now a computer technician guru and Operating System wizard that I had no intention on ever becoming. I just wanted to record music.

We finally have 3 fresh young and new up and coming DAW's who's whole philosophy and approach is based on building DAWs with a workflow for composing, creating music and staying in the creative zone at all times. Adobe also embraced this same approach with all their new recent releases. By opening the blinders, taking off my PT fan boy hat and cult like following loyalty, I quickly realized that most DAWs out there, including Pro Tools, makes you an engineer and computer technician first the moment you open the app. By the time you get everything set up and running to record your music, your inspiration is absolutely shot. It's difficult to not look at these new up & coming DAWs that promise we'll stay in the creative groove and not be hammered with being a "DAW technician" first that always interrupts and stops the creative vibe. Being a recording engineer is fun, but composing and creating music needs a whole other work flow and approach to stay in that inspiring moment. Pro Tools LE & HD at this point in time definitely does not do that at all.

I'll be checking out all of these with very strong interest just on their "creative and composing foundation" alone. How could we not? I absolutely embrace this whole approach.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 PM

Thumbs up + 1 (+ thousands?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
I'll be checking out all of these with very strong interest just on their "creative and composing foundation" alone. How could we not? I absolutely embrace this whole approach.
Shane, I am sooooooooo with you.

100% unequivocally with you.

I hazard to guess a LOT of others are with 'us' too

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
We finally have 3 fresh young and new up and coming DAW's who's whole philosophy and approach is based on building DAWs with a workflow for composing, creating music and staying in the creative zone at all times. Adobe also embraced this same approach with all their new recent releases. By opening the blinders, taking off my PT fan boy hat and cult like following loyalty, I quickly realized that most DAWs out there, including Pro Tools, makes you an engineer and computer technician first the moment you open the app. By the time you get everything set up and running to record your music, your inspiration is absolutely shot. It's difficult to not look at these new up & coming DAWs that promise we'll stay in the creative groove and not be hammered with being a "DAW technician" first that always interrupts and stops the creative vibe. Being a recording engineer is fun, but composing and creating music needs a whole other work flow and approach to stay in that inspiring moment. Pro Tools LE & HD at this point in time definitely does not do that at all.

Yes I think it's always been widely accepted that PT is an application for turning finished songs and arrangements into commercial product, and not something to build those songs and arrangements in in the first place. It is as facilitated to compose and arrange in Pro Tools (even v.8) as it is to produce commercial product in most any of the other DAWs. Therefore the schizophrenia.

I personally always hated trying to work in Reason and my fave for composing/fun DAWs is Ableton Live. Yes it's electronica-oriented but really I am only interested in composing in a DAW for techno/dance/etc.

When I compose on guitar or piano or voice, I use no DAW. I use the handy sound-on-sound overdubbing feature of the Tascam DR-1 handheld. Talk about keeping technical struggles out of the creative loop! No DAW is going to get as easy as that anytime soon. If inspiration strikes, I can get ideas down, with layers, in bed without even turning the lights on!
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan View Post
when i first installed pt le 5.01 with my 001 and piii computer 10 years ago, i just wanted to double click the pt icon and start recording music after it was installed. Back then i knew next to nothing about computers and the inner workings of operatiing systems and i also had no interest at all in that technical aspect side of things. I just wanted to record music. Fast forward 10 years, and thanks to digidesign, i'm now a computer technician guru and operating system wizard that i had no intention on ever becoming. I just wanted to record music.

We finally have 3 fresh young and new up and coming daw's who's whole philosophy and approach is based on building daws with a workflow for composing, creating music and staying in the creative zone at all times. Adobe also embraced this same approach with all their new recent releases. By opening the blinders, taking off my pt fan boy hat and cult like following loyalty, i quickly realized that most daws out there, including pro tools, makes you an engineer and computer technician first the moment you open the app. By the time you get everything set up and running to record your music, your inspiration is absolutely shot. It's difficult to not look at these new up & coming daws that promise we'll stay in the creative groove and not be hammered with being a "daw technician" first that always interrupts and stops the creative vibe. Being a recording engineer is fun, but composing and creating music needs a whole other work flow and approach to stay in that inspiring moment. Pro tools le & hd at this point in time definitely does not do that at all.

Shane
amen - god bless you!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 AM

I agree with PepperTree
Old 05-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
When I compose on guitar or piano or voice, I use no DAW. I use the handy sound-on-sound overdubbing feature of the Tascam DR-1 handheld. Talk about keeping technical struggles out of the creative loop! No DAW is going to get as easy as that anytime soon. If inspiration strikes, I can get ideas down, with layers, in bed without even turning the lights on!
For me, inspiration strikes when I'm out and about without my instrument at hand. Thankfully I have years and years of ear training behind me. I usually draw out some quick stave lines, notate the melody with chord symbols which is enough to bring back the creative vibe when I return to it. Those scraps of paper I have with chicken scratch scribbled notation is usually how I record the creative moment. With today's technology, my cell phone makes for a quick audio recorder to capture those unexpected moments of inspiration.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
For me, inspiration strikes when I'm out and about without my instrument at hand. Thankfully I have years and years of ear training behind me. I usually draw out some quick stave lines, notate the melody with chord symbols which is enough to bring back the creative vibe when I return to it. Those scraps of paper I have with chicken scratch scribbled notation is usually how I record the creative moment.
You're doing as Ludwig Van did. Worked for him!

When I was at Apple ATG, the head argued in favor of purpose-built handheld devices as the future...and this was after the grave embarassment of the Newton, so there was some chutzpah in saying it. Five years later the ipod saved the company...not by adding features, but by removing them. So you are yearning for less rather than more in your DAW.

Which makes me think...since digidesign has always basically copied everything it can from Apple, including the software-hardware bundling, using the software to sell the hardware, etc. etc. I wonder if Digi/M-Audio is thinking of moving into handhelds for their own salvation. Things like the Zoom H4N could be made...the handheld fully integrated with the DAW and stripped of anything that gets in the way of creativity. It could have a MIDI or USB input that would let you hook a keyboard to it, with some of the Digi VIs onboard. A smooth transition from portability to production...superior to the laptop gumming up the works.

It's the sort of thing we used to say when Apple was so sick..."They have all the competencies on board to do a really good job of something like that."
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:37 PM

Digi probably has less reason to be scared than Logic. It all depends on if the implementation is as good as the concept is. Not needing to support any third party software could buy them a whole bunch performance-wise.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Where most of Silicon Valley screwed up was by releasing stuff like the Newton where the CPU power just wasn't there yet.

It makes perfect sense to me that apps and processors will be merging into dedicated hardware devices. The whole "Swiss Army Knife" personal computer concept is as dated as timeshare was when the microprocessor came out.