Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
With today's technology, my cell phone makes for a quick audio recorder to capture those unexpected moments of inspiration.

Shane

This has gotten me more strange looks than anything.... (especially if they heard me singing bass lines)..

Blessings!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It makes perfect sense to me that apps and processors will be merging into dedicated hardware devices. The whole "Swiss Army Knife" personal computer concept is as dated as timeshare was when the microprocessor came out.
it's already happening, sort of:

www.openlabs.com

it's at least a step in that direction. a keyboard with built-in dedicated pc and audio interface running the daw(s)/vi's of your choice. fascinating idea, i think. things have come a long way from the 1st run of roland's vs-880's...

kell
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
This has gotten me more strange looks than anything.... (especially if they heard me singing bass lines)..

Blessings!
If you do this on the bus it will usually get you some elbow room too

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 PM

1. record as a pt-killer. naah. nuendo was the pt killer years ago, and though it's established some foothold, particularly in post, pt is hardly dead. interestingly though, i thought i'd read somewhere that the bbc was considering using sequoia? IMO, record is simply an extension of what reason's all about...an excellent (and FUN) tool for the creative aspect of music making. i don't consider it a [pompous arse] "serious" daw [/pompous arse], nor do i suspect it's intended to be.

2. no vst support in record. IMO, this is as it should be, plain and simple. i'm clearly in the minority here, but i think the propheads offer a unique, rock solid creative tool. ironically, people here are commenting that daws are not very stable/inspiring, and then in the same breath, suggest that propheads give them the very things that ruin the creative experience elsewhere??? one of THE first troubleshooting questions in crashing daw scenarios is "what plugins have you recently installed"?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
one of THE first troubleshooting questions in crashing daw scenarios is "what plugins have you recently installed"?

Theres' more to it than that— especially in PT8. We know it, Digi know it.

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
i don't consider it a [pompous arse] "serious" daw [/pompous arse], nor do i suspect it's intended to be.
I dont think so either, even on their website they say its a daw for musicians, not for engineers. i see it as more of an extension to reason that allows it to record audio for guys wanting to paly guitar ontop of their drum beats thay created.
However the presonus daw does look quite interesting.

I think it is going to be hard to find a PT killer though. Most people have spent alot of time getting to know PT and nothing lese i know works quite like it does. also lots of people have alread spent alot of money on the interface and people like me, who maybe dont have a lot of spare cash arn't going to change their daw for a few hundred quid to find it out after a while it snt quite what they wanted. also for HD guys they have invested alot of money and i dont think theyll give that up easily.
I do think however digi could be nice and give us some of the things we need/want such as ADC, and ripping apart the RTAS code to give us better performance and faster than realtime bounce, which is a killer when i have a whole bunch of tracks to bounce.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 AM

Saying it is for musicians rather than engineers suggests they haven't got a clue about what recording engineering actually is!

Around ten years ago I did my first analog 16 track session in 27 years. Within ten minutes I was livid because it had come crashing home how unintuitive 24 track was compared to 16. I found my mind was on subtleties of mike placement and the rhythm of the session's work-flow rather than making certain I had optimum recording levels which were critical in the crippled narrow 24 track format. The last thing a recording engineer needs to be thinking about is a DAW application. This is exactly why consoles remain popular, you don't have to look at the damned thing and can concentrate on how your mix is affecting the performer while your fingers take care of business.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM

business 101

Expanding markets create new business
Establish customer loyalty from the ground up
Command results, prove value through the entire cycle...

concept --> prototype --> refinement --> final design --> release --> disribution

PT so far has leverage in the refinement stage, but this is not the area of maximum expansion, concept and prototype are areas of expansion, this is where the money is to be made.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Saying it is for musicians rather than engineers suggests they haven't got a clue about what recording engineering actually is!

Around ten years ago I did my first analog 16 track session in 27 years. Within ten minutes I was livid because it had come crashing home how unintuitive 24 track was compared to 16. I found my mind was on subtleties of mike placement and the rhythm of the session's work-flow rather than making certain I had optimum recording levels which were critical in the crippled narrow 24 track format. The last thing a recording engineer needs to be thinking about is a DAW application. This is exactly why consoles remain popular, you don't have to look at the damned thing and can concentrate on how your mix is affecting the performer while your fingers take care of business.
Ok, I am reading this closely, but I can't quite make sense of it. Do you have some 16s and 24s mixed up here?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM

No, I'm comparing how much less left brain activity is required for 16 track analog than 24 track analog. DAWs are even worse than 24 track analog.