Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Default Pro Tools unable to reacquire hardware after resume from sleep

First, here are my specs:
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013
OS X 10.9.5
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Pro Tools HD 10.3.2

Everything works fine until my Mac goes to sleep. Then, upon returning to sleep, Pro Tools will give the error:

"Pro Tools is unable to reacquire the hardware because it is in use by another application. Please quit other applications and hit "OK" to retry. If the hardware cannot be acquired, please quit and relaunch Pro Tools"

I've ensured that I'm not using the Ensemble in system preferences for the Mac audio input or output. I've tried quitting every other application including Finder. I've tried power cycling the Ensemble. But no matter what, this message still keeps popping up anytime I resume from sleep, and then I need to relaunch Pro Tools, which takes a few minutes every time.

Does anyone know any way to resolve this issue other than quitting and restarting Pro Tools? I've searched this forum and elsewhere on the web, but still can't seem to find a solution.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools unable to reacquire hardware after resume from sleep

Because there is no solution and if you searched the web you would have found that you should Never Ever use sleep or power saving when using the computer for PT and audio work. This forum has had this question up for debate several times and there is only one solution and that is to never use sleep mode and power saving functions when using any DAW especially PT.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Because there is no solution and if you searched the web you would have found that you should Never Ever use sleep or power saving when using the computer for PT and audio work. This forum has had this question up for debate several times and there is only one solution and that is to never use sleep mode and power saving functions when using any DAW especially PT.
Okay. I hadn't seen that response in my queries for the keywords relating to this issue.

Also, this isn't a power-saving sleep feature that comes on automatically, but the system standby that I have bound to the F19 key on my keyboard so that I can put the system into hibernation to let things cool down when they get too hot, or when I need to step out of the studio for a while, but will be back to continue where I left off.

I was just hoping there was some way to resolve this without needing to quit & restart Pro Tools every time. Thanks for the response!
Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 AM

I understand what you mean with Macbook Pro getting hot as mine does too when we are out in hotels etc and bring it with us.

But the sleep feature wheather it is a auto command or a programmed one will never work unfortunately.

Sorry for the grim answer but we all learned this one way or another

All the best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM

No sleep/no hibernation for Pro Tools. Always has been the way (on both Mac and Windows)

However, for your "step out of the room", just put your system into lock (password protect). That works on both Mac and Windows without any issue.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3