Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-24-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Garritan Personal Orch/Kontact Player Problem

Has anybody else had problems with running the Garritan Personal Orchestra and the Kontact player as an RTAS plug-in?

I've got a Mix 24/ 2-Farm-card system running on a Mac G4/733mHz with system OS X 10.2.8 and a Gig of RAM. Apparently, this is within the required range for running GPO and Kontact player.

However, every time I load up the GPO plug-in and start to play a few MIDI notes, the damn Kontact player hangs up and all I get is a faint clicking noise. ProTools crashes and I have to reboot my computer.

Anybody else had this problem? Got a workaround? Or is my system "too slow or too old?" Man, I hope not. This G4 was top of the line just a couple of years ago, it seems. Surely, it's not time to chuck it already!

Thanks!

Dan Goldberg
www.off-centermusic.com
Old 05-24-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Garritan Personal Orch/Kontact Player Problem

I've found the GPO/Kontakt Player to be a real CPU hog, even on my dual 1.42GHz G4.

Have you tried adjusting the H/W Buffer Size?

Stein Tore
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM

I had/have the same problem. Unfortunately, i found no work-a-round other than to open the GPO instruments within Kontakt, which I already owned (fortunately). Even that has its issues at times. But, it's workable. Otherwise, the Kompakt player that's being distributed with GPO and other instruments is buggy to the point of being useless. Basically, we're paying to be beta testers for Native Instruments and their friends. Very un-cool as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:38 AM

This is known to NI and Digi, who are supposedly working on this. It does work, but it's limited compared to every other sampler that will run in ProTools. There is hope since other players, like Impakt and Intakt that come with the East/West libraries, have recently had updates which have helped.
_S
Old 05-25-2004, 08:54 AM

Wow, thanks guys! I was just about to click "buy" for the GPO, intending to use it as a plug-in in my PT sessions.

Have you tried the East West Quantum Leap Orchestra, which uses the Kompakt player? Does it suffer from the same problems? The silver edition costs $269, which is comparable to GPO.

Thanks,

Jeff D.