Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-25-2021, 03:56 PM

Default Kontact Player no sound?

Hi. So I'm not getting my cinematic strings to make noise when I load it in my Kontact player in Pro Tools. I know that it's probably a routing issue but can someone walk me through it? Normally when I use other plugins (not through kontact) I just set up a "instrument track" and then insert the plugin into the track, but that isn't doing **** with the kontact player. Can someone help me set it up properly?
Catalina OS
ProTools 2020.12
Scarlett Focusrite
+ Saving to External Harddrive

http://MayMcDonoughMusic.com
Old 01-25-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Kontact Player no sound?

First off make sure the library you're using can work with the Player version of Kontakt. Also make sure it can work with whatever revision of Player you have. Does it need version 5.x of Kontakt Player or 6.x? Not everything works with the Player version of Kontakt but may need the full version of Kontakt.

QAPLA!
Old 01-25-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
First off make sure the library you're using can work with the Player version of Kontakt. Also make sure it can work with whatever revision of Player you have. Does it need version 5.x of Kontakt Player or 6.x? Not everything works with the Player version of Kontakt but may need the full version of Kontakt.
It definitely works with the player. in fact the plugin includes a download of the player
Catalina OS
ProTools 2020.12
Scarlett Focusrite

Old 01-26-2021, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifbangpow View Post
It definitely works with the player. in fact the plugin includes a download of the player
Okay - got that answered. Have PT show 'instruments' in the Edit screen and check that the routing is going to the instance of Kontakt in that track. Select the string library you want and try making some sounds via the built-in keyboard in the Kontakt gui. That will tell you if Kontakt is working right. You don't mention how you're triggering Kontakt - MIDI keyboard or what?

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Okay - got that answered. Have PT show 'instruments' in the Edit screen and check that the routing is going to the instance of Kontakt in that track. Select the string library you want and try making some sounds via the built-in keyboard in the Kontakt gui. That will tell you if Kontakt is working right. You don't mention how you're triggering Kontakt - MIDI keyboard or what?
I am triggering midi through my midi keyboard yes. When I put Kontact in as my instrument it opens fine, but when I trigger my kkeyboard I hear no sound. But when I use non-kontact player plugins the keyboard triggers and I hear sound just fine.
Catalina OS
ProTools 2020.12
Scarlett Focusrite

Old 01-26-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
So when instruments are shown in the edit window, it says I have "all" for the input and "mbox pro control" for the output. when I touch a kkey on my mmidi controller, the signal shows in the instrument window next to volume and pan. But no signal shows up on the track itself. I also dont notice any sound or signal being triggered in kontact. even though i have loaded up violins from cinematic studio strings plugin.
Catalina OS
ProTools 2020.12
Scarlett Focusrite

Old 01-26-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I am triggering midi through my midi keyboard yes. When I put Kontact in as my instrument it opens fine, but when I trigger my kkeyboard I hear no sound. But when I use non-kontact player plugins the keyboard triggers and I hear sound just fine.
Make sure that Kontakt and your MIDI keyboard are on the same MIDI channel. Another thing is, and you should already know this - make sure you're not using a mono instance of Kontakt on a stereo instrument track. Did you try what I mentioned earlier about using the keyboard at the bottom of the Kontakt gui to see if you get any sound out? If you do that and you get sound that means output routing from Kontakt is okay. Do you have any other libraries you can use in Kontakt? If so do they work okay?

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So when instruments are shown in the edit window, it says I have "all" for the input and "mbox pro control" for the output. when I touch a kkey on my mmidi controller, the signal shows in the instrument window next to volume and pan. But no signal shows up on the track itself. I also dont notice any sound or signal being triggered in kontact. even though i have loaded up violins from cinematic studio strings plugin.
There's your problem - the MIDI is not being routed to Kontakt Player. Why do you have the output routed to your audio interface?

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
There's your problem - the MIDI is not being routed to Kontakt Player. Why do you have the output routed to your audio interface?
i tried routing it to kontact and i still didnt get sound. also there is no keyboard at the bottom of my kontact player.
Catalina OS
ProTools 2020.12
Scarlett Focusrite

Old 01-26-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
i tried routing it to kontact and i still didnt get sound. also there is no keyboard at the bottom of my kontact player.
If the player gui is the same as the full version do this:
Go to the top of the Kontakt Player gui and starting at about the middle of the top row you will see a floppy disc icon, to the right of that is a gear icon and click on the icon to the right of the gear icon. Select 'keyboard' and that will show the keyboard at the bottom.

When you routed the output to Kontakt Player did you select the MIDI channel that the library is on? Normally in Kontakt the first instrument is on MIDI channel 1.

Like I asked earlier - do you have any other libraries you can use in Kontakt player?

You do know how to use Kontakt right?

QAPLA!