Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Acronis True Image Tip!!!!!

Guys,

You may know this but in case you don't this program saved my butt again last night and did something i DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD DO.

I know we all (Most of us) image our drives to ne able to recover our systems for whatever reasons. Last night I accidentally deleted my plug ins folder by mistake while trashing prefs and deleting databases (while doing updates and upgrades for 8.0.1). I had already done the updates and upgrades and spent hours doing it...That is when I deleted my entire plugs folder along with everything in the DAE folder as well.

My 003 would not come up, protools started but no plugs and no control. I thought oh well lost all that time I will just mount the last image and redo all the updates etc (More hours spent)

Low and behold I hit "recover" on acronis and it gave me an option to just recover the files I lost. I placed then on another drive in the pc, when I finished I dragged the DAE folder that I deleted back where it belongs and everything worked like nothing happened.

As I said you may already know this but it now gives more of a secure feeling when deleting files that could potentially shut you down and have to reinstall everything. I have never had a problem recovering an old image but had never run into just recovering single files within that image.

Amazing program. If you are not using it you need to. Our systems are our livelyhood and we need to be as redundant as possible. This really made me feel like I no longer care if something works or not or I mess up. I can recover what I need if I have a good current image.

I amage no matter what each time I eo anything to my system on a WD Passport USB drive. I have about 10 of them and can go all the way back to 6.0 if I really wanted to.

Just FYI. If you know this already great if not MAKE YOUR IMAGES! IT IS VERY CHEAP ISURANCE TO BUY ACRONIS AND AN EXTERNAL DRIVE!

JP

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 09-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Acronis True Image Tip!!!!!

That is neat that you can recover individual folders. I am already imaging my operating system right now with Acronis True Image Home. I am just browsing this forum to waste time until my Pro Tools Operating system is imaged. So, I was happy to see this thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM

You can also mount any image as a virtual drive. Then pull files and folders at will. Very useful.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnThompson View Post
That is neat that you can recover individual folders. I am already imaging my operating system right now with Acronis True Image Home. I am just browsing this forum to waste time until my Pro Tools Operating system is imaged. So, I was happy to see this thread.
LT, The funny thing is I am only using Acronis true image HOME version 9

I was really thankful that I read everything. I felt like I had nothing to lose. Another thing that it lets me know is on my office PC I can image and recall old documents instead of just mounting a full image then remounting the other one just to get back to normal.

It is one amazing program. About 3 years ago I had to use it for the first time and thought ..yeah right..I still am going to have to install windows, drivers, bios upgrades and other stuff. Within about 30 minutes I was right back where my hard drive failed.

When it comes to hard drives it is not a matter of if but when it will die. It is a mechanical device that spins 7200-10,000 RPM's 24-7

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
You can also mount any image as a virtual drive. Then pull files and folders at will. Very useful.
You know what JMS..I think that is how i did it. Then I deleted the drive.

I know I used the acronis partition program to make a partition then I deleted the partition and expanded it back out to the full size.

All I know is it works fantastic

DAW
-
Old 09-10-2009, 06:29 PM

It's a wonderful world.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 PM

"I know I used the acronis partition program to make a partition then I deleted the partition and expanded it back out to the full size.
"

Actually, you don't have to do that because, actually, JMS40 is right. Just use the Mount Image command and a virtual drive will be mounted with all the information in the image. Copy off files and folders to your heart's content, then just Unmount the image. Way easier than making and deleting partitions.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
"I know I used the acronis partition program to make a partition then I deleted the partition and expanded it back out to the full size.
"

Actually, you don't have to do that because, actually, JMS40 is right. Just use the Mount Image command and a virtual drive will be mounted with all the information in the image. Copy off files and folders to your heart's content, then just Unmount the image. Way easier than making and deleting partitions.

Cheers,
Preesheeate it weed. I will try that method from now on. Do you have to partition a drive first or just mount a new partition under " the recovery option"?

DAW
-
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 PM

No partitions or recovery needed. Look for "Mount An Image" and "Unmount An Image" or similar commands. The image is mounted as a virtual drive. For example, if you have 3 drives C: D: and E: then the virtual drive will be mounted as F: and be under My Computer. You just click on it and open it like a regular drive on your system. When you're finished with it, just unmount it.

I'm not totally sure because it's been a while since I looked at all the choices in Acronis, but I think you may be able to set it up so you can write to a mounted image. I know you can copy from a mounted image.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM

You can actually just view the contents of the backup file usng explorer and copy whatever you need from there like it's any other directory.

I use it to compare, restore, whatever. Beautiful program.

Wonder if we could talk them into a 64bit PT Native?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!