Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-02-2005, 03:21 AM

Default Allen Hallada (Its time we all acknowledge him)

Allen Hallada (It's time we all commendate and acknowledge this DUC member!!)

Greetings DUC members,

This is post #1000 for me!!! And this thread is what I decided to make as my 1000th post.

I myself purchased a Windows based PT LE 001 system about two months after it was originaly released way way back around five or so years ago. It was the PT LE 5.0 days. As I recall, what we had then to what we have now, all I can say is we have come a very long way on the Windows platform. Just off the top of my head we had hardly any plugins at all, no 3rd party plugin support(all Mac), 24 tracks(although there was a glitch that got us 32 of which my posts got deleted by Digi ), No reverb plugin(DVerb was actually separate that we had to pay for!!), no ReWire, no VST, very limited midi and the long list goes on and on. There were also many of us trying to build the ultimate system for PC. Because it was all so new, many of us just tried everything and posted our results.

There have been MANY oustanding DUC members who have made and continue to make incredible contributions to the DUC. Many continue to help, some have moved on to HD and some have even left us and went on to other host based systems.

But, the one DUC member that stands out the most for me is Allen Hallada.

For those who dont know, he is the originator of 'Best Desktops for PTLE', 'Best Laptops for PTLE', 'Ultimate Allenstein Challenge!' and over 5705+ posts helping DUC members with their systems. He has been here from the begining since the 5.0 days. Digidesign has even made his threads stickys. At the time of this writing the 'Best Desktops for PTLE' has received over 114024 views and over 4149 replies!!!!

I was recently disturbed(but understand his frustration) of his recent post.

Allen Hallada has helped THOUSANDS of us here at the DUC. His posts have helped Digidesign sell a TON of 001, 002, 002R, Mbox units for the PC platform. I have personally built Allenstein systems for people myself and can attest to the smile on their faces when they see their PTLE rig fire up for the first time and they can start recording music. This is a result of Allens hard work!!

Comments such as such as, 'Your the greatest!!', 'I just built my Allenstein..It's great!!..thanks Allen!!', 'Thanks for all your great work here Allen, my system smokes!!...' and on and on are very common on the DUC.

As a result of his 'Ultimate Allenstein Challenge!' thread, we now have a few working PTLE systems that are equivalent in power to an HD 1 system!!!(yes, you read that correctly. An HD 1 system!!) PTLE is closer to HD now than most people think.

Now just imagine if Allen did decide to leave and delete the two most popular and useful threads on the DUC which are 'Best Desktops for PTLE' and 'Best Laptops for PTLE'. What would happen? What would happen to PTLE sales on the PC platform? Just think about that for one minute.

So, I think it is time that we commendate, acknowledge and reward Allen Hallada and all his hard work over the years.

I am going to send an email and personal phone call to Digidesign regarding Allen Hallada and all his work. And I think the rest of us should to.

And Digidesign, I think it is way beyond time that you acknowledge and reward this individual for all his hard work throughout the years. He has done an oustanding job!!! Hire him, or give him an HD rig, or some free plugins or at the VERY least, get Dave Lebolt or someone in the upper ranks, to give him a personal phone call and say "Thanks man". After all, the two most popular posts are HIS and many many DUC members and Digi users wouldnt even be around because of him. And again, just imagine if those two threads did not exist or got deleted.

So I guess I'll start. And then I'll leave it to the rest of the DUC and Digidesign to commend this individual via this thread, his email etc.

Allen Hallada,

Thank you very much for all your hard work and efforts on the DUC. You have helped above and beyond in making the PC an incredible system for PTLE. Your time, help, and research has helped us in getting these smokin PC systems going.

Your help is greatly appreciated by all even though it is unseen. The Allensteins I have built for clients worked great!! One thing you can't see is the look on their faces when they see their PT rigs going for the first time. They are VERY HAPPY and excited to get started recording. Even though it's hard for you to see behind all this text, I have seen it in person. And it is a result of YOUR posts, YOUR work, and YOUR system recommendations.

Seeing someone all excited and thanking you greatly for helping them with their new system is very rewarding. And it is a result of your help. Although it is unseen at times on your end, it does happen. Alot.

Your help has been greatly appreciated and your continued help is still needed. I hope you stick around. Keep up the great work here at the DUC.

Sincerely,

Shane Johnson

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-02-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: Allen Hallada (Its time we all acknowledge him)

Hey all fellow DUCers,

I would like to second to what Shan had to say about Allen Hallada.
I bought an Mbox back in 11/02 and had to wait a month before I could use it.
I guess I could have bought a MAC.
And monkeys fly in OZ...............
Since then I've bought a 002R.
No MAC............

But what I see is a man for his love of music and other DUCers has spent countless hours helping all of us out.
Because from what I've seen Digidesign could careless about Windows side of things.
And I realize what had upset Allen, upset me also.
People we pay good money for this equipment and then Digidesign leaves us with some pretty old and dated systems that are approved!
But they are testing according to Digidesign some new AMD systems.
Most of these are getting dated.
See the laptop users unite thread.
Or are they just going to wait for us to do it, for free!
So Digi I do care and love your stuff.
It is the best but you can make it hard.
But can't you see that your best field technical engineer, "Allen Hallada" is about to pull the plug on you.
And I might have the Technical Smarts but I don't have his people skills.
Give Allen Hallada the credit that he deserves most companies do after 5 years, Hughes gave me a banquet and a mile stone tie pin.

I just want to personal thank Allen for all his great work.
And want to keep working with him in this forum.

Matt

Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Allen Hallada (Its time we all acknowledge him

I just want to add my 2¢ here; I don't currently own the allenstein, and my system is a little on the old and underpowered side.
But when I do decide to upgrade my rig (hopefully very shortly), I will not be buying a Digidesign approved system, I will be buying an Allen Hallada approved system.

I think that speaks for itself.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 AM

I responed to the "Allenstien Challenge" and now have a smokin new pc that out performs my old box by double. I read the best desktop thread a million times and think it is the best thread on the internet. Allen you ARE the man. I really appreciate all the work you have done. Thanks to you I gained the courage to build my first computer ever. I'm just a drummer who likes to record his music. But now thanks to Allen's threads I have leared alot about running my computer as well as Pro Tools. Please don't leave us now. Thanks a million. Let me know if I can do anything else.
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 AM

I don't think anyone could have said it better than Shan's post. I also have 2 allenstein machines (2 athlon 64's) and one non-approved athlon 64 notebook (SiS) that works too.
Allen's help and dedication to this forum and protools in general is unreal! If you look, I've been a PTLE user for about 5 years now, and as long as I can remember, allen has been helping people daily.

There isn't much else I can say that hasn't been said in Shan's post. Allen, seriously THANK YOU. for everything you've done for all of us. I have 2 AMAZING machines right now, that run PTLE flawless and beyond anything I could have thought up myself without spending $3000+. I definitely owe that too you.

It's really hard to express yourself through a forum. So I'm not sure how much you'll really understand how sincere myself and the rest of us are, but the help you provide is far beyond what any tech support or company has even come close too.

Seriously, THANK YOU!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 07:23 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. Allen has been an invaluble resource here, as have many others. A year ago I was just getting my feet wet with PT. After reading through the laptop thread I purchased an E-Machines and tweaked accordingly. I can work at 64bit on the buffer settings nearly w/o limit or errors and have had none of the problems others have unfortunately seen. I really appreciate the guidance as I do not have the money or the time to keep buying/trying/hoping for different systems to find one that would work. And the best one isn't even listed on the Digi list . Yeah, I suppose they should probably give Allen a percentage of all LE sales . Or at least a decent tech support salary...

Thanks Allen!
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

ASUS N71Jq i7 940xm 8GB DDR3
PTHD 12.1 REAPER - Win 10 HP
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 AM

I would submit that Allen's posts were directly responsible for my choice of Digidesign equipment over all other hardware/software audio production combinations. His expertise, courtesy, and congeniality gave me hope that there would be post-purchase support. I LIVED in the "Best Desktop" thread for months, and based upon his careful examinations and recommendations, I have built an A64 box that is positively solid – dare I say, near perfect. I have never been happier with a computer, and it is directly a result of Allen's vigilance. I have often marveled at the amount of work that he puts into the DUC, and I have come to the realization that it is simply because the guy has more character than 98% of the other DUC members; both PC and MAC, TDM and LE.

Thank you Allen. You do not get enough thanks for your efforts. Thank you for being the true first line of defense for technical support for a product that is computer driven. Digidesign cannot replace the wisdom and experience that you have given us freely.

CrossFire Studios
Old 04-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:
But when I do decide to upgrade my rig (hopefully very shortly), I will not be buying a Digidesign approved system, I will be buying an Allen Hallada approved system.

I think that speaks for itself.
That does indeed speak volumes. I have built two machines based on Allen's specs and never had as much as a hiccup from them. His posts are invaluable! Digi should at least acknowledge that the PC's that he has spec'd have historically run circles around their recommendations including the "other" computers.

THANKS ALLEN!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 AM

After months of reading posts in this particular forum, I concluded there was no other alternative than to follow Allen's advice. So I read the first 100 posts, and the last 200 posts, and then built TWO Allensteins. W/o that thread, I'd have never bought ANY Digi gear. I'd have just bought something that seemed to run on ANY system.

I have always wondered, and still do, if Allen is compensated for his efforts. He has asnswered 99.9% of the posts on his thread at a standard that is beyond professional, with empathy and great detail.

If he's done this gratis, then he's the kind of person I marvel at. Even if he does it for a fee, then he's the kind of person I marvel at.
AMD Radeon HD 6570
2 WDC WD10EURX-63FH1Y0
www.soundchasm.com
Old 04-02-2005, 10:19 AM

I just want to say I agree with the praise above!
I want to thank you Allen for all the advice you have posted on these boards.
My mobile recording laptop and the AllenStien I just built from you specs are awesome.
And to boot they both together were cheaper than the laptop I had planned to buy before reading your posts.
Digidesign, you owe Allen big time!
I give Digidesign the benifit of the doubt that they have already shown their appreciation for Allen's efforts.

-Hologram
CPU : Athlon 64 3700+ athlon 754
RAM : 1Gig
Drives : 80GB 7200rpm, 74GB 10Krpm