Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2005, 05:32 PM

Default M-Audio and LE

Have y'all checked the main web site recently

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-05-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: M-Audio and LE

Yep. So what is the differesnce between Pro Tools M-Powered software and PTLE other than the interface?

Shane

Damn Rail you beat me to this post again.

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

I just found the Side-by-side hardware and software comparison chart. Answered my own questions regarding software.

Hmmm...not much of a difference on the software side of things. I feel threatened now. LOL

Basically m-powered compared with le has:

No Propellerhead Software Reason Adapted, IK Multimedia SampleTank SE, AmpliTube LE, and T-RackS EQ plug-ins. (No biggies for me)

No Ableton Live Digidesign Edition plug-in (No biggie for me)

No Support for Control|24™ control surface (Needed for me)

No Support for DV Toolkit™ option (No biggie for me)

No Support for DigiTranslator™ (No biggie for me)

I wish there was an audio card with maybe 2 in and 2 out for laptops instead of packing around an external I/O box.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-05-2005, 05:59 PM

However, it looks like they support S/MUX so you get 96kHz via ADAT lightpipe.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Oh man, this is really good news. Opens a lot of doors.

I have a premonition about a boom here on the DUC, though...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
However, it looks like they support S/MUX so you get 96kHz via ADAT lightpipe.

Rail
Now that is cool Rail. So I wonder if us LE guys are going to see something new? I could use the S/MUX but I am also a Control/24 user.

And for the first time the software is sold separate from the hardware. You can even download a demo if you have the supported hardware already. Thats a first.

Shane

Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if they kill the le line completely or the gradual merge of le native processing with HD native in the future. HD line and a M powered line makes good busines sense. Personally, I decided to do post work using Nuendo now... and sold my 002r maybe just in time. Yet, I like the idea of owning PT at a much cheaper price point. I would like to see the hardware/software bundles from m-audio real soon. Probably for around $500 for interface and software... very nice... and kinda predictable after they acquired M-Audio. Nice work digi! Now I can run PT and Nuendo through the same M-audio interface... YES!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Hello. One of the first things that jumped out at me was the GSIF support. Now Gigastudio and Pro Tools take a step closer to running off the same computer, Rewired. I will have to look into this.

By the way, can't you already hear the complaints? In a way it's one of those can't win situations for Digidesign. Some will complain that it's the same software as LE, emphasis on Limited, so why bother? It's even more limited than LE as it has been pointed out with plug ins and such. I mean darkglass above me just mentioned about running Nuendo and PT off the same audio interface (which you can also do with Digidesign hardware by the way). You can have a Nuendo sessions with 60, 70 or more tracks and Pro Tools will be limited to 32, active anyways.

So people will bitch about that, as they do already with Digidesign hardware and ASIO.

Some will be livid about recently buying Mbox's and such when they could have bought an M Audio interface with MIDI.

There are many other criticisms I am sure people will make. It's a can't win in many ways.

On another front, as you all know by know I assume, the installer for the EQIII says version 6.9. This will be unveiled at NAB April 18th. Apparently it's mostly bug fixes and things like more busses. We'll see.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:08 PM

What I would like to know is if I already own PTle, and an MBox, can I upgrade so I can access M Audio Hardware as well?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:10 PM

You can run gigastudio now with pro tools through the rewire interface becase with rewire, the host program's sound driver is used, in this case, pro tools is the host.