Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-05-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Allen: Thank you for your advice. My computer crashed recently and I lost some key info including the "AllenStein" configuration specs. I've tried to relocate it and just can't seem to find it. Although I have the specs for the actual computer, that link had a ton of other key, important information such as "How To Silence A Computer" etc. Is there anyway you can forward that exact thread or, give me the date or DUC number? I've gone through all the threads and for some reason cannot locate it. Very frustrating.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve P.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Allen, thanks for the feedback on amd vs. p4...I cant seem to find an athlon fx-57 to price. I'm very new to this so thanks for your open book of knowlege. Any information you could give me on this system would be appreciated. thanks tom sias
FX 57 isn't due out to the public until this summer. Stick with the mobile AMD 64 3400 on the DFI 250GB nF3 Lan Party board. See the thread labeled as ..........Matt for more info. This is the best thing going right now.
All the parts can be bought from www.newegg.com
Allen

how did you get an fx-57? I only have an fx-55 and a dual opteron system. You sucker, how did you get that chip? you must tell me, lol.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 AM

so would an fx 55 be better than the athlon 64 3400? thanks tom
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
so would an fx 55 be better than the athlon 64 3400? thanks tom

Better? Well it's definitly faster, and yes, my fx-55 works with pro tools le mbox, which is what i use right now. It's also more expensive, but i think the speed upgrade is worth it, although some users may disagree. I went with single processor in fear of the "incompatibility issues" that digidesign keeps posting about opteron processors. I ended up getting an opteron box anyway. But i use that one for other software.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM

Quote:
it appears that the A8V Deluxe with BIOS 1009 has a fair amount of overclocking potential, in this instance at least.

i built a system last week for a client on a tight budget so we recycled as much as possible from his old system. the only new parts were an A8V Deluxe motherboard, S939 Athlon 64 3000+ and 1GB Corsair 3200CL2 TwinX RAM.

i usually send systems out with default BIOS timings to maximise reliability but we decided to see how far we could push this one as some fairly hefty mix-in-the-box sessions are on the horizon. it appears the processor is unlocked! with all voltages and frequencies at their default setting, it boots and runs perfectly reliably at 12x, or 2400mHz. the temp idles at 28C and peaks at 38-39C with PTLE doing 32+24 (PTLE 6.4, digi001), 32+32 in 5.3.1. the temp and stability were great with any other CPU intensive app, such as DivX encoding, Doom3 or SiSoft Sandra on continuous CPU/RAM benchmark.

in addition to increasing the multiplier, the system runs with the same rock solid stability by leaving the miltiplier at 9x and increasing the FSB to 267mHz so i guess that means the same could be achieved with locked 3000+ processors. the BIOS automatically adjusts the RAM divider so it stays at 200mHz and the PCI/AGP is locked to 33.3/66.6mHz respectively.

whilst this is relatively extreme overclocking with somewhat unpredictable long term effects, i just thought some of you might be interested is all.

as an aside, the system does 32+8 in 6.4 with all default settings.
Forget about the RAM divder and pick up some PC4000 ram and give that beast some memory bandwidth. A 250 FSB with 2.4ghz would be just to die for. I can use dividers on my board, but the AGP/PCI still runs out of spec. You must have a true AGP/PCI lock, which means you CAN run your FSB past 200 with a 1:1 ratio.

also, some of the best tools anybody trying to overclock should have:
memtest86 - create a bootable floppy (very easy, the program does it for you), set your CPU/memory specs up in the BIOS and boot with a memtest disk in. Memtest86 will test your memory settings to make sure your ram and motherboard are happy as you increase your speeds. If it runs after 100 passes and no errors (overnight) your RAM and motherboard are solid at the the tested settings. If you get errors, sometimes it's ok (some computers do not like memtest), most of the time it means your equipment is not stable.

Prime95 Prime95 is the overclockers friend. Install it and run the torture test for 8 hours. It will use up all your ram, run your CPU at 100% and max out your temperatures. It does no harm unless your cooling isn't sufficient, just keep an eye on your temps until they stabilize. Prime95 will always bring out any instability you might have. If you get a crash during prime95, you usually need more CPU voltage.

If a computer passses 100 memtest86 passes and 8 hours of Prime95 with no errors, it's officially rock stable.

Obviously your Pro Tools tests were pretty stressful, but it never hurts to have a few more checks when running out of spec.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 PM

as i said, he was on a tight budget and i've run Prime95 and a few others, hence my call of rock solid. i got it to boot at 13.5x but this required a decent voltage tweak resulting in temperatures that would no doubt cause problems on a slightly warm day and definitely void the warranty.

i'm just more amazed that this processor is not locked to 9x. if only i could find an FX55 like that for myself. not that i really use LE since the days of the PIII but it would be nice to game with
Old 04-06-2005, 01:38 AM

yeah, you said rock solid but never mentioned Prime95. I thought I would share definitions of "rock solid". Many people overclock and fail to properly stress test.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:23 AM

Hi,

Being a new Pro Tools 002R user.

I am still facing the decision of going with a older 6.7 "compatible" P4 system or purchasing a newer AMD64 sytem.

I have been looking at purchasing the exact same components that you mentioned ( A8V Deluxe Motherboard S939, Athlon 64 3000+ and 1GB Corsair 3200C2 TwinX RAM )to add to my current parts ( 3 X Western Digital 7200rpm 8MB Drives, Antec Case/450w Truepower supply & Video Card ).

Does anyone see any conflicts I could have by using the 939 chipsets instead of the 754 chipsets as others users have in the past?

I would like to purchase the most reliable and best performing system ( on a moderate budget ), so I can simply begin recording without the disappointment of the system crashing mid session.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:13 AM

ODown, the A8V Deluxe delivers very solid performance with the 002. i'd recommend the 3500+ if you can afford it. it's only $150 more!

the DFI board everyone here is talking about is not too easily found in Australia and the saving is minimal, not to mention tracking down a mobile Athlon64.

it seems the most significant diference between the K8V and A8V is better ability to overclock due to the PCI/AGP lock and dual channel memory of the 939 platform but the latter seems to have little effect on pro tools performance. so if you don't intend to overclock the system, save yourself a few dollars and get the K8V/754 combo.

the A8V Deluxe is $170 vs. K8V SE Deluxe at $130.

S939 3000+ $212 vs S754 3000+ at $204.

i'm happy to send anything from melbourne if you need.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:56 AM

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger. All look well? Will it be a PTLE monster?

[image]http://webinfinity.biz/pcSpecs.gif[/image]

http://webinfinity.biz/pcSpecs.gif

Thanks! Eric