Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 07:09 AM

Default MBox and Windows XP

Hi!
I'm a new MBox user with Windows XP.
I've just installed Pro Tools and my MBox, it's all ok!
But... can I play my Windows sounds (MP3, Waves, Audio CD, DVD) through Mbox?

Thanks...

Nico Timeo
Old 03-14-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: MBox and Windows XP

With your XP you have to tell it where to play those sounds. You can change all that in the set-ups for the different applications. There are still a few applications that have not yet cought up, such as Sound Forge.... You still need the windows sound card for that to work.
db
Control 24 - (2)192's
Old 04-03-2003, 04:11 PM

I believe Digi has released a Windows WAVE driver (sometimes called a WDM driver). I remember something about a DALWDM driver or something. Check the downloads section of Digi Support on this website.

When you install the MBox, it is setup to work with Protools only. You have an option to also install an ASIO driver which some other programs can use (like Cubase, Logic, Reason, etc). This will let those programs use the MBox as their sound card. Unfortunately, WinXP cannot use ASIO drivers. To get a device to work with Windows you need WDM drivers. Once you install those, WinXP can see the MBox and can send audio to it. Then all you have to do is go to the Control Panel and change your audio settings to use the MBox instead of any other sound card you have installed.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-03-2003, 04:16 PM

one other thing I forgot to mention...Audio CDs in your CDrom drive will most likely NOT play through the MBox. The reason being is that CD players usually have a separate Analog cable coming out of them to send CD audio to internal sound cards within the computer. The CD Audio is never sent around the computer digitally. There are some exceptions though. Some CDROM drives can Play the audio of a CD digitally. In this case your MBox could output the sound.

You'll have to look at your make and model CDROM drive to figure out if it can play audio CDs Digitially.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-07-2003, 05:31 AM

You can setup mediaplayer to play using DAE...(digital audio extraction; has nothing to do with the Digidesign Audio engine...)

in version 9:

goto extra/options/devices and choose your cdrom drive(s)

choose properties

and set the radiobuttons for playing and recording to "digital".

Bastiaan