Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Auto-Banking Question

I'm borrowing an Artist Mix from a friend to test drive. Some things I love, some I hate.

But one thing that will be a deal breaker if I can't figure it out.

Let's say I have 24 tracks in the session, and I have auto-banking on. Say now I'm showing tracks 1-8 on the Artist, which is the default.

Now. I select track 12.

It doesn't snap that track to the farthest left fader as I'd expect, but it has the function of 'banking' into whatever group of 8 that would fall into, it that makes sense.

SO for instance, I have bank 1-8 showing. Now I select track 12. What I WANT is that track to snap all the way left, and then splay out beyond that. What happens is, track 12 now appears on fader 4, and my bank is 9 to 16.

Is there any way to force the auto-banking to put my selected track all the way left?

On HUI mode, you could CONTROL-OPTION click a track, and it would snap the faders to start on that specific track.

No way to do that on the Artist as far as I can tell....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Auto-Banking Question

I personally have auto-banking off, I don't need all my faders to clang around just because I'm selecting a track..

Instead, this is much better.. assign a single fader to attentioned track in eucon, that way it will always be in the same spot and the position of the others remains
Old 07-19-2012, 06:22 AM

I've only ever seen it work the way you are explaining it Tim. And actually as I try it here myself, it goes one step weirder in that it'll go in banks of 4 too. For example in a 16 track session, click on track 9 and it banks 9 to channel 1, now click track 8 and it'll bank track 5 to channel 1. So banks of 8 in increments of 4. How's that for confusing?

JR
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM

Robert thanks for that but it is not what I was asking. The point of my post is that I want to use auto-banking. So telling me to turn it off, well, sorry, not that helpful.

JR, thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Why does HUI mode behave differently, Avid and Euphonix need to fix that. Makes no sense. But thanks for verifying it's that way for you too. It probably will keep me from buying one.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Robert thanks for that but it is not what I was asking. The point of my post is that I want to use auto-banking. So telling me to turn it off, well, sorry, not that helpful.

JR, thanks, that's what I was afraid of. Why does HUI mode behave differently, Avid and Euphonix need to fix that. Makes no sense. But thanks for verifying it's that way for you too. It probably will keep me from buying one.
You will do it my way and you will like it.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Lol. OK, you win. I have explored some with locking faders to tracks, and it's for sure useful. But I still want the spill zone to be correct, like it is in HUI mode, when auto-banking. Should at least be a preference!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Works for me. I have 1 mix + 1 control + 1 mix. Each time I select a track (by touchscreen on control), it maps to the first fader on the left of my first mc mix. It 's by default, did not change anything in PT or EUCON.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Fountain View Post
So banks of 8 in increments of 4.
Strange. Is that what happens with an MC Control (4 faders) connected?

My MC Mixes (8 faders) always bank in groups of 8.

That said, for any serious projects I tend to ignore auto-banking, and configure one or more custom layouts.

Can switch between layouts with a couple of clicks, or (recommended), the hotkeys on the MC Transport.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM

I don't have an MC Control, just a Mix and Transport. As far as serious projects go, I think it's the difference between editing and mixing. If auto banking worked as Tim is describing it'd be really great for editing as you tend to be working on the keyboard more. Pulling up a fader by selecting a track would be fast. But in a mix situation, I'm on the surface more so it's probably faster to bank or select a layout then reaching for the mouse.

Anyhow, as mentioned it sure would be nice for it to always come up on the left most fader and spill out accordingly.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:16 PM

That's really weird yours banks in multiples of 4, instead of 8.

Forgot to say I'm using Logic.

As for mixing, I just tend to make a custom layout for what I need. This is very quick.

Of course, it helps that I have 3 MC Mixes... :)