Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

new youtube-clip announcing new DSP hardware !!! (I Think) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vc7S5nvY4

looks like an 8 I/O box with dedicated DSP power included. Probably Thunderbolt Connection

http://www.pm-mastering-studio.com

SYSTEM 1 : Main recording - HDX MAC Pro 2023 M2 Ultra Running Sonoma 14.4
ProTools Ultimate 2024.3| 1xHDX Card | Mac Pro M2 Ultra 128Ram 2TB|3x PRE | 2x Avid 96 |1x Avid 192 I/O 16/16 Analogue | 1x Acid HD I/0 16/16 Analgue
Midi I/O | D-Command ES +16 fader Pack | Xmon | Eleven Rack + Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 Surround Adam S3H speaker System

System 2 : Project System - ProTools CARBON Running Sonoma 14.4
MacStudio M2 Ultra |64 GB RAM | ProTools 2024.3 Ultimate/Studio | SSL2+ | AVID S1+DOCK + ProTools|Carbon + ProTools|Carbon PRE
Old 11-09-2020, 07:21 AM

Wow, excited. Looks like AVID’s take on the Apollo X8P.
Reaaaally curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm mastering studio View Post
new youtube-clip announcing new DSP hardware !!! (I Think) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vc7S5nvY4

looks like an 8 I/O box with dedicated DSP power included. Probably Thunderbolt Connection
Old 11-09-2020, 07:41 AM

Looks like Texas Instruments DSP chips, same as HDX.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Wow, excited. Looks like AVID’s take on the Apollo X8P.
Reaaaally curious.
No, that IS an Apollo X8P in the silhouette at the end.

The new Apollo’s run off of a hexa-core processor also .. *potential UAD/Avid partnership? Or opening up 3rd party DSP for Pro Tools?
Old 11-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Looks like Texas Instruments DSP chips, same as HDX.
Maybe same chip maker but I doubt the same chips. Here's info on that Spartan 7 FPGA chip: https://www.xilinx.com/products/sili...spartan-7.html
Interesting that they don't put the fan over the dsp chips.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:19 AM

I wish. But with UA’s introduction of LUNA, any potential partnership possible has become even more wishful thinking then it was already.

Also found the interface looking very similar but it isn’t an x8p. The x8p doesn’t have a Dante or AES port next to the wordclock BNC connectors (I can’t see if it’s an XLR or ethercon connector plugin in at the right side of the top view in the teaser)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post

The new Apollo’s run off of a hexa-core processor also .. *potential UAD/Avid partnership? Or opening up 3rd party DSP for Pro Tools?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentWilliams View Post

If you compare the innards in the video with an Apollo X8P rear panel view you'll see the two are different. With the look at the inside in the video you'll see a regular AC mains input socket which means the Avid box has an internal power supply. The Apollo has an external power supply that uses an XLR-type connector.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Maybe same chip maker but I doubt the same chips. Here's info on that Spartan 7 FPGA chip: https://www.xilinx.com/products/sili...spartan-7.html
Interesting that they don't put the fan over the dsp chips.
The Spartan 7 is an FPGA, not a DSP. Just like on the HDX card this is providing the interconnectivity between the TI DSP processors.

The video shows 6 TI DSP processors, with the corresponding memory chips next to each processor. They are the same family of DSP processors as used in HDX. I can't make out the exact parts so it would not say be fair to assume the processing power here is say a (edit:) third of a HDX card (which has three times the number of DSP chips)... I would hope *any* new product has more processing power than a HDX card.

TI DSP are completely incompatible with Analog Devices SHARC processors used by UAD in all their products. It would be huge surprise for UAD to partner with Avid to compete against themselves... not when their own DSP plugin business is likely very high margin, and more akin to selling drugs that hardware. I would not take the brand damage if I was UAD. That would also complicate Avid OEMing two different vendor's hardware, DAD/NTP and UAD. e.g. not sure how you get DADman running on a UAD OEM'ed box. (and as pointed out above the images don't match) But anyhow a few days away...

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-09-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:35 AM

After the additional info from the short videos that followed the original one,
pieces come together now.

What we know so far:

-New 1U Audio Interface with onboard DSP, probably Thunderbolt enabled.

-ProTools gets dark mode GUI option and maybe some cosmetic changes.

-Plugin Alliance's depicted plugin using the DSP, is because P.A. has almost all their plugin catalog as AAX DSP too. Since Waves ditched AAX DSP, Avid needs another developer to promote their DSP platform, IMO.

Did i miss something??

Date is coming closer, maybe there is another hint tomorrow and the next day...will see.

Cheers!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
..out of curiosity, how many samples latency does the channel report if you do that?
With a project at 48kHz/24 bit, 64 buffer setting with the HDX engine, with just a single audio track, using the Avid EQ3 1 Band plug-in the Delay Compensation reports 18. Adding the Overload TH-U mono native plug-in the Delay Compensation reports 147. So the ms delay would be 3ms. 147/48 I believe is the formula.

The guitar player I use is very sensitive to the latency, and in the project he recorded last week he was fine doing it this way, which is the way I've been recording guitar for a while now. He just sits in the control room and records direct while using the TH-U. Seems to be working fine for me so far. I do have a sound proof live room with a Mesa-Boogie triple rectifier, an Orange amp and others, but why go though the trouble if it sounds just as good or better(the guitar player's words) through the TH-U?
PT 2024.3 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Studio M2 Max on Sonoma, 64GB RAM, 4 TB & 8 TB external SSD NVMe drives, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.