Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-17-2020, 11:40 AM

Default No data recorded from Kontakt Player

I create an Instrument track, select "Kontakt" as the Insert "/multichannel plug-in/" select an instrument to play within the Kontakt Player plug-in. I can hear the sound of the instrument, and the Pro Tools meters register that there is a signal coming in, but when I click Record, no data is recorded.
Focusrite 2i2 interface
Old 12-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Re: No data recorded from Kontakt Player

How are you triggering the instrument track? Can you change to Notes view and use the mouse to drop notes onto the piano roll? And do those notes play sound when you hit PLAY?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Please excuse me - I'm new with PT. By "triggering" do you mean how do I get it to Play/Record? I use Spacebar to play. I don't know what Notes View is.
I've discovered that a default drum track that loads with templates does playback through my Kontakt Player drum instrument (RealiDrums). It's just that I can't record from RealiDrums to my instrument track in order to create a track with any data on it. I plan to try copying a MIDI note from a default drum sequence to a new Instrument track.

Updating Signature -
Dell XPS 15
Windows 10
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface
Focusrite 2i2 interface

Last edited by 1Monty_D3; 12-17-2020 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Updating Signature
Old 12-17-2020, 07:22 PM

Without midi notes on the track, it will not make any sound. Many folks will use a midi keyboard, or a trigger pad to trigger the instrument. Since you don't have that, copying midi is one option. Another is to use the PENCIL tool and drop notes onto the piano roll. If none of this is making sense, your next stop should be youtube and watching lots of Getting Started With Pro Tool videos.

If you are using Pro Tools First, plan on outgrowing it really quickly as it is simple way too limited to be much more than a tease. If you can't afford the regular version of Pro Tools, there are other DAW programs worth considering on a budget(like Reaper or Cakewalk by Bandcamp, which used to be Sonar)

Old 12-18-2020, 12:43 PM

I see what you mean now.
I'm using the instrument itself to trigger. This instrument is called RealiDrums, just one of many that can be loaded into the plug-in player, which is called Kontakt 6. With this player, you load instruments, much like with Xpand2. The difference is that with the Kontakt player, it has a simulated keyboard at the bottom which you can use to trigger individual notes or, in the case of the RealiDrums instrument, fills.
In addition, RealiDrums has many different Grooves you can run. (I suppose Boom does too, but it's not showing up for me; it's just not available).
Now, here's something new -
Yesterday, I succeeded in recording a running Groove on one track. Unfortunately, I don't know how I succeeded to do it. I just kept trying this and that till finally it worked.
Today, still experimenting, I came back to play some improv drums along with the Groove I had previously recorded.
Now I'm back to where I was before. Pro Tools recognizes the plug-in. And I can hear it playing and the meters show signal.
But Record just gives me a blank clip. I hit whatever keys I want on the simulated keyboard, I hear the sound, the meters jump. But no data gets recorded.
I've tried every possible combination of Instrument inputs and outputs and I/O inputs and outputs and insert channels and everything I can think of. But no data gets recorded.
(By the way, I'm using PT 2020.11.0 - and getting very exasperated, too, I might add.)
Focusrite 2i2 interface
Old 12-19-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Monty_D3 View Post
I see what you mean now.
I'm using the instrument itself to trigger. This instrument is called RealiDrums, just one of many that can be loaded into the plug-in player, which is called Kontakt 6. With this player, you load instruments, much like with Xpand2. The difference is that with the Kontakt player, it has a simulated keyboard at the bottom which you can use to trigger individual notes or, in the case of the RealiDrums instrument, fills.
In addition, RealiDrums has many different Grooves you can run. (I suppose Boom does too, but it's not showing up for me; it's just not available).
Now, here's something new -
Yesterday, I succeeded in recording a running Groove on one track. Unfortunately, I don't know how I succeeded to do it. I just kept trying this and that till finally it worked.
Today, still experimenting, I came back to play some improv drums along with the Groove I had previously recorded.
Now I'm back to where I was before. Pro Tools recognizes the plug-in. And I can hear it playing and the meters show signal.
But Record just gives me a blank clip. I hit whatever keys I want on the simulated keyboard, I hear the sound, the meters jump. But no data gets recorded.
I've tried every possible combination of Instrument inputs and outputs and I/O inputs and outputs and insert channels and everything I can think of. But no data gets recorded.
(By the way, I'm using PT 2020.11.0 - and getting very exasperated, too, I might add.)
Took a while to parse out what you're doing. Instrument tracks are great for hosting instruments but you can't record audio there. You can only record MIDI which later gets turned into audio when you bounce the audio in which ever way you want to do that.

When you use the keyboard at the bottom of the Kontakt gui no MIDI is used; Kontakt is only putting out audio. One way to work the way you're working is to host Kontakt on an aux track which gets bussed to an audio track. Hit record on the audio track and the PT transport to record the audio output from Kontakt.

QAPLA!
Old 12-19-2020, 08:41 AM

The pads or keyboard in any VI plugin is only for playing the sound(so you can hear it and tweak it). None that I know of will actually record midi data that way. I see a midi keyboard in your future

Old 04-12-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I see a midi keyboard in your future
Yep. You were right about that ... I just committed myself some $2,300 for one. Waiting for it to get here.
Focusrite 2i2 interface
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
One way to work the way you're working is to host Kontakt on an aux track which gets bussed to an audio track. Hit record on the audio track and the PT transport to record the audio output from Kontakt.
I just checked back tonight & saw your tip. By golly! It worked!
Thanks so much! I'm absolutely thrilled!
Thanks again.
Focusrite 2i2 interface