Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2015, 12:58 AM

Default Can you still transfer ownership of LE8 and 002?

I am selling my 002 console.
When I bought it there was a transfer of hardware ownership program that included PT LE 8.
At the time the software license must be transferred with the hardware.
Is that still true today?
Can I tranfer the PT LE8 to the new owner?
If so can they Upgrade to the PT10-11-12 license before 12/31/15?
Thanks!
TWM
PS My PT10 and 10-11-12 upgrade on my iLock were purchased separately for a different system.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Can you still transfer ownership of LE8 and 002?

Yes, the procedure to transfer LE hardware and software is the same as it always was.

Theoretically, the new owner should be able to then do the upgrade. However, the likelihood of everything being transferred in time for them to do so is extremely slim.

Here is the page for transfer of ownership:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/en363631
Old 12-04-2015, 02:07 AM

Ok I am no lawyer so please help me understand how this works?
When I bought my 002 this is what I agreed to....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Digidesign Hardware Transfer of Ownership Program

To the Seller of Digidesign equipment and software: Digidesign Pro Tools core hardware systems include Pro Tools software and must be transferred and registered as a single unit. Pro Tools TDM core systems include Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|24 MIX, and Pro Tools|24. Pro Tools LE core systems: 003 Family, Mbox 2 Family, Digi 002 Family, Mbox, Digi 001, AMIII. If you sell your master Pro Tools system core card (primary HD core, Mix core, d24, Pro Tools III Disk I/O card) or Pro Tools LE Core hardware, the Pro Tools software license will be transferred along with the core hardware from your record, and upon transfer you will no longer be eligible for software updates or upgrades associated with the core hardware sold. Registration of Plug-Ins and Optional Software Not Transferable: Digidesign will not transfer product registration for used plug-ins or other optional software from the original owner to another owner.

The way I understand the Digidesign Hardware Transfer of Ownership Program is that the (PT8 LE) software must be transferred to the new owner of the hardware (002) when it is sold.

This was free and very easy to do.
All you had to do was download and print out the transfer form.

Fill it out required info...
Product name with serial # and version of PT

Sellers & buyers info ..name, address, contact info ect

Then sign and fax the form to Digidesighn

Ownership transfer of hardware and software done!

Then Avid Buys Digidesighn and changes the ownership transfer rules & requires a $20 fee and all of this now?

Avid Audio Transfer Of Ownership

Transfer of Hardware
Avid audio hardware may be transferred by completing the steps below. Transferrable hardware includes Avid audio creative professional hardware (including Pro Tools HDX, HD and Native cards and interfaces) and Avid creative enthusiast hardware (including 003, 002, Eleven Rack, Mbox, and other devices). Ownership may also be transferred for other Avid hardware such as D-Control, D-Command, live sound consoles (including accompanying components and non-iLok authorized software), Command 8, I/O devices, Artist series controllers, etc.

1. Complete an order on the Avid store for a Service Transfer/Replacement Fee for $20 (limit of 5 hardware units per form and service fee).
2. Complete a transfer of ownership form and submit via a registration web case at http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation.
3. Avid will send a confirmation e-mail to both the seller and the buyer when the transaction is completed.
Pro Tools LE

There are no iLok licenses for this software. Transfers will only change the product owner and allow customers to access downloads and authorization codes. Please note that we can only change ownership for Pro Tools LE upgrades as the full software was not an individually registrable product. Transfers can only be completed for versions 7.x and 8.x. and are limited to those that were activated within an Avid account.
1. Complete an order on the Avid store for a Service Transfer/Replacement Fee for $20. 2. Complete a transfer of ownership form and submit via a registration web case at http://avid.force.com/Support/RegistrationCaseCreation. 3. Avid will send a confirmation e-mail to both the seller and the buyer when the transaction is completed.

I am very confused as to how this is ethical or legal.
(I am sure it is legal, all of the above had to written by lawyers & not the marketing or customer support divisions.)

When Avid bought Digi were/are they not ethically bound to honor the original contract terms & conditions as set by Digidesign at the time of original sale of the hardware and software?

I have to say it does not make selling my 002 and transferring the PT 8LE it came with very easy.
One would think that Avid would use this opportunity try to make it easy to transfer the software & sell upgrades to newer versions of PT and make them loyal Avid PT customers.

I have to say I am disappointed with the way Avid has chosen to support Digidesighn legacy product owners .
I love Protools and the online community here! I just upgraded my separate standalone PT 10 license to a Perpetual PT 10-11-12.
Do I love Avid as company?....Lets just say not so much. And thats a damn shame.

TWM

2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 quad core 16Gb ram 256 SSD
OS Sierra 10.12.6 PT 2018.4 its mostly working for me!

RME FF800, Presonus Digimax 48K & LT, Central station, KRK Roc kit 8v2, KRK Rockit 10s, a plethora of outboard gear …Too many vintage guitars & amps to list!

Last edited by Trainwreckmusic; 12-04-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Correct spelling.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Avid bought Digi back in the mid 90's, so that aspect is not relevant to what they've done in the last few years.

As far as I can see, the process for LE is pretty similar to what it was, apart from the $20 fee they've added.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Default Can you still transfer ownership of LE8 and 002?

Honestly, at the 002 and LE level, almost no one worries about transferring ownership. Sell the 002 and send the LE8 auth code along with it and you're golden. Avid has better things to focus on than to be concerned about an EOL'd interface and software.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control