Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 02:39 AM

Default O.M.G.! Apple Acquires eMagic

This is amazing - I guess I'm glad I own logic. I don't even know where to start with the ramifications for ProTools.

from the eMagic site :
Quote:
Apple Acquires Emagic
July 1st 2002

CUPERTINO, California and HAMBURG, Germany -- July 1, 2002 --
Apple today announced it has acquired Emagic, a leading provider of professional software solutions for computer based music production. Emagic's most popular product, Logic, is actively used by over 200,000 musicians around the world. Emagic will operate as a wholly owned division of Apple.

"Emagic has set the industry standard for professional music creation and production," said Sina Tamaddon, Apple's senior vice president of Applications. "We're very excited to have the Emagic team join Apple and create more amazing products for musicians."

Macintosh-based products account for over 65 percent of Emagic's current revenues. Emagic's Windows-based product offerings will be discontinued on September 30, 2002.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-01-2002, 07:48 AM

Default Re: O.M.G.! Apple Acquires eMagic

What ramifications could there be? Mac OS will still be Mac's OS. Digi will still design their software around how the OS is designed. I mean people develop software for the MAC and PC every day that competes with the software Apple and MS create. How is this really any different? Apple will never be able to get Emagic to the level of Digidesign unless they try to pull a MS which they are constantly complaining to the courts about. It would be hypocritical and would cause some Mac users to switch to other platforms - something Apple will just not let happen. Emagic and Digidesign will coexist, just as they have for years, and peacefully!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:55 AM

What if Apple creates a proprietary midi implementation which of course Emagic would use? Of course they would make an API available to other software vendors but Emagic would have native support. Kind of the way Digi aced out the other converter manufacturers.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:25 AM

Because Final Cut Pro is giving Avid some headaches...and now, because Apple will be directly competing with Digi on the midi/audio side, I wonder if Digi will discontinue support for the Mac? Doubtful, I know, given that Mac users must be more than 50% of Digi and Avid's base. Why doesn't Apple just buy Avid and we can all get along?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 AM

ohh, let's indeed hope for a rehash/update of MIDI...maybe 16-bit?!?!

and eMagic had just acquired Samplitude also. his definitly puts Apple in an inovative posistion.

this should solidify the Digi/Apple relationship...right?
Old 07-01-2002, 08:34 AM

Would be intersting to see if future Macs will sport built-in multi-channel audio interfacing made by emagic.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:45 AM

The Final-Cut-Pro-ization of Logic.

In the language of SATs:

Finalcut Pro : Avid =
Logic : ProTools.

My guess is Logic gets a huge boost as an audio staple, with native rivaling host-based to an unprecedented degree, echoing what happened with video.

I must say, this makes me re-think my equipment strategies for a new room I am putting together. (I figured the issue was MOTU vs. PT; now it seems that the "logic" has changed).

-M.M.M.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:50 AM

Well at least we know now why the PT-HD extension for Logic is so expensive. Is this the last we see from Digi-Emagic together?
Old 07-01-2002, 09:18 AM

A buddy of mine, who switched from Logic Mac to PC a couple of years ago, will be bumming. (Windows support discontinued as of Sept. 02) Especially since he just bought a PC laptop to run his system as well. He got off the Apple bandwagon, just before the G4s arrived and i've been telling him ever since to leave PC land, and now this.

haze

www.johnhaze.com
Old 07-01-2002, 01:21 PM

Here's a bizzare conjecture:

Apple will next announce that it has also aquired Digidesign. ???????

-The top Avid execs will simply close the company, having taken as much profit off the top as possible, and most likely also getting stock pay-offs from Apple.

-There will be no new Protools software. The new configuration will be Logic software running on digi-apple hardware.

This would explain why Digi still hasn't given us dual-processor support, or serious midi editing.
-----------------

Ah, such a nice dream. -but of course it doesn't make any sense. Apple is surely looking towards their 4-cpu G5's, not host-hardware.

The big fly in the ointment for that scenario, as far as we're concerned, will be TDM plugins.
However, I'm sure that most plugin manufacturers will be glad to charge a small fee and cross-grade us over to native.

Core-midi supposedly has a fixed latency of under 1/2 ms. Does anyone know what latency we can expect from the audio on such a system: 4-cpu G5, OSX, Logic, core-midi and audio?

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my upgrade order, since it was just placed a few days ago.

Arrgghh . My head hurts..... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]