Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Default amplitube = cant browse presets on playback? Alternatives?

hi, someone on this board said you cant play back an audio track with amplitube plug in on it, and change presets in the plug in, on the fly, while the audio track is playing. THey said it crashes pro tools with error messages.

It works mostly for me, but i am getting a very high amount of error messages and other odd behaviour. Maybe its true.

Are there any other better alternatives to amplitube? I basically want to record electric guitar into pro tools, and use some kiind of guitar orientated plug in, to alter the sound, apply amp settings and guitar effects etc. But i want to be able to do this on playback.......

Do the guitar players here, record with an amp plug in on? Or do you record guitar CLEAN? with no processing?

The error messages im getting, maybe becuause im recording with the amplitube plug in inserted........ is this ok? Or shoud i be recording absolutely CLEAN with no procsseing.........and THEN apply the processing of plug ins AFETR recording.......?

Im gonna sell my line6POD hardware unit........cause i think software is the way to go..... as you can change the sound after recording...... with the hardware unit, the effect would be printed and not changeable.....

any advice would be helpful.

cheers.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Default Re: amplitube = cant browse presets on playback? Alternatives?

What errors are you getting?
Try keeping all other programs closed esp the internet and safari when in Pro Tools. Then go to Setup > Playback Engine and bring your number of processors down one to an odd number.

Sometimes certain plug-ins esp IK multimedia buffer audio and Pro Tools needs a single processor dedicated to just it to handle the non real time buffering and bringing the processors down one will allow it to work better with it.

If that doesn't help post error number and system info and PT versions

Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM

yes, i often have had the problem of cpu errors (cpus set to 3
) when changing patches during playback and have heard of other people saying the same thing.

i learned to deal with it by spending the time to find my patch first - i built most of the presets i use. i find what im looking for and then track so i dont have to do too much tweaking to the guitar sound afterward oher than compression/eq/reverb. i run amplitube or guitar rig on an aux track and use low latency monitoring to bus to an audio track.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premo View Post
What errors are you getting?
Try keeping all other programs closed esp the internet and safari when in Pro Tools. Then go to Setup > Playback Engine and bring your number of processors down one to an odd number.

Sometimes certain plug-ins esp IK multimedia buffer audio and Pro Tools needs a single processor dedicated to just it to handle the non real time buffering and bringing the processors down one will allow it to work better with it.

If that doesn't help post error number and system info and PT versions
thanks.
So youre saying it should be ok to play back audio file (recorded guitar) and browse presets and play about with amplitube plug in, in real time? and it should be all ok?

Right, really? close all other programms? i usually have about 5 apps open, eg...internet, Mail, textedit....

ive just made a keyboard shortcut for the playback engine as im going there SO MUCH!

Yeah ive got intel core2duo, which i guess is 2 processors.....ive tried both settings, one and two processors...... im gonna try putting it back to one processor. (im pretty sure i tried every setting possible in the playback engine options) .... errros just came and came.....

maybe its to do with recording audio onto my internal macbook 5400rpm drive..... but i would have thought it would have been ok for at least basic sessions.....

the only tweaks i havent done, which manual suggests, is turning off spotlight indexing.... shall i?

i dont understand why you are saying use ONE processor setting.....for RTAS processors setting? .....surely two would be more reliable.....

"non real time buffering"...?...... im using the insert plug in..... not from the audiosuite menu on the edit page...... im using amplitube from the mix window....as insert..... those real time plug ins.........

should i be recording guitar with amplitube turned off?????
Or is it ok to record with plug ins inserted?

Heres the errors:
"you are running out of cpu power, remove plug ins, or increase cpu usage"
(-9128)

"cpu load error occured, try increasing buffer, or removing plug ins. (-6101)

"cpu usage is holding off usb audio. remove some plug ins, delete some tracks, or increase buffer. (-6105)

Got the first 2 errors excessively..... they all did not make sense..... as often it was just a small 5 sec audio file..... one mono audio track....with one amplitube plug in......... and all those playback engine settings were nicely set...... if not maxed out...... manual even says, the default settings should be fine for my type of basic situations......

and...... several times....... when i turn the mix knob fully right...... i cant hear no sound(from pro tools, but can see the levels) ........ i have to shut down.......and restart..... then it works....

macbook....10.5.4
LE 7.4.2

cheers
Old 12-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Avid

Try decreasing the number of CPU's to 1 in the Playback Engine and let us know if the errors go away.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM

no........but dont remember the error message..........

stopping playback........and THEN adjusting ampltiube.......and THEN continuing playback...........works fine........

amplitube doesnt like real time adjusting ive been told here...... makes sense.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 AM

Red face Re: amplitube = cant browse presets on playback? Alternatives?

I also had this problem with having Amplitube 2 on my guitar track. Just openning it cuased an error -6097 and had to close protools, power down Digi 003, disconect firewire cable from computer, and restart protool.

I changed my CPU Count to one and the hardware Buffer problem seems to have gone away. I likes now!

cpu usage seems to be at an acceptacle percentage so far.