Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 AM
velvettone

Default Dead 96 I/O

I have a dead 96i/o... no lights, not recognized in I/O setup. It seems as if I've got it narrowed down to the switched mode power supply. It's well out of the warranty period, and I can't find any service related information on Digidesign's web site. Somebody told me that if I send it back to Digidesign, they would send me a new one, but I have a hard time believing this. If this is not the case, does anybody know where I can get a new one, and how much?

G5 dual 1.8GHz
OSX 10.4.9
Pro Tools version 7.4
1.25GB RAM
Any attached peripherals (3 FW hard drives, D-Link wireless client (USB))
Number and type of drives installed... 3 firewire
A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - Checked voltages on input and output of power supply... Good in... bad out (all DC voltages)...

EDIT: listed all relevent information
Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Dead 96 I/O

Where's your dealer? This is why you buy from them. My guy would handle this for me, warranty or no warranty. Make them earn their money and provide good customer service.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
velvettone

Wow, that was quick! I bought it through RSPE years ago... thanks, I'll e-mail them about it...
Old 01-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Digi sent me a refurbished 96 a long time ago, out of warranty.
The cost, including 24 hour turn-around was under $400.

The thought of "BIG-D" selling you a part so you can fix your interface seems like a no-go to me.
Trying to source out the part you need may be just as difficult.

My 96 was blown up during a remote recording at a poorly wired church and I remember they paid the "claim" quickly.

tp
Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 PM
velvettone

I wouldn't be too terribly bummed if the "BIG-D" jacked me around on this one; the original power supply manufacture has a $40.00 flat rate fee to fix any power supply that they make, but they want me to contact Digidesign first. $400.00??? That's pretty steep for a $30.00 part that literally takes only 10 minutes to swap out. I was also informed on another forum that there is a known problem with the wiring harness in these things, and the fix is to swap out the power supply and attached harness. This was posted by a tech who said he's swapped out several of these and Digi footed the bill.

I may even mod the unit for a linear supply myself, the stock one looks very cheap to begin with...
Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 AM
velvettone

UPDATE:

There is a time delayed fuse on the unit that I found to be open. I'm gonna get a replacement part and fire it back up tomorrow...

...TO BE CONTINUED
Old 08-18-2009, 08:08 AM
velvettone

Update...

I forgot to update this when it was resolved.

The fuse was replaced, and the new one blew too, pointing to a bigger problem with the switching supply.

I ended up shelling out the $400 "flat fee" to Digidesign to swap out the failed power supply. It ended up costing substantially more than the $400 "flat fee" that they quoted me and that was with regular (non-expedited) turnaround time.

Man, I think I'm gonna skip the Digi hardware next time I buy a new rig...