Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2023, 04:00 PM

Default how to easily change display elements

Hello! I accidentally clicked something and messed up the way my pro tools display looks in the edit window. There is a fat black line through the track, which seems to be a volume or gain line, but I cannot figure out how to get it off.

The clip (waveform and the area behind it) in the track used to be nice and colored and now the area behind the wave form is just see through and greyish (the wave form is still colored). It makes it harder for me to see. I like to have colors on everything.

And the tracks that have midi on them are all stringy and small and weird.

It seems like I've tried everything. I'm not sure how I changed the whole display with one unknown click. Any fixes for the above problems? The one that is most bothersome is the clip color. I attached a picture. I would like the top track colors to look like the bottom track, and for the line to be gone.
Thanks!

Thanks!:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic of protools problem.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:07 PM

Default Re: how to easily change display elements

Hi welcome to DUC.

The black line is automation. In the track display selector you likely want "Waveform" and you will have selected "Volume" or "Mute" that will display the Volume or Mute automation line over the top of the waveform.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:15 PM

No clue what stringy and weird means. Like string cheese? You are going to make faster progress if you use descriptions folks have any chance of following and/or post a screenshot.

If you just mean squashed vertically? The MIDI zoom in/out button and just dragging a track taller are the two main control there. Image attached of the MIDI zoom in/out button.

These basic things can be a pain to learn by random walking though using Pro Tools. It's often much more productive, and you will end up more skilled, by starting to learn by following some great online tutorials on YouTube or Groove3.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.09.57 PM.png (5.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-28-2023, 04:26 PM

And the reason things got changed is likely you are accidentally using keyboard shortcuts.

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFi...uts_2023.9.pdf

it's probably worth learning some shortcuts anyhow.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the assistance! The track display selector fixed everything! I also had to change the midi tracks from "notes" to "clips". Everything is back to normal!