Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Xmon connected to Black magic why it's mono?

I connected BM out12&13 to Xmon Linein1&2 with DB25XLRF which is connected to Stereo Inputs of Xmon.
But its mono on icon Dcommand and I only have audio on R-speaker.
I used SUM and also Stereo 1 and 2 bottoms on icon
But it doesn't work
Could you help me please?
Old 08-31-2014, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Xmon connected to Black magic why it's mono?

Check your cables.

If you only have the right channel, switch it on the BM outs to check if itīs the breakout cable on the BM. If both channels output, then the problem is at the breakout cable that connects to the XMon. Are you connecting the BM outs to the right pair of inputs on the DB25 stereo ins on the Xmon?Eg. ST 1&2?

Not sure what audio you are using the BM outs for, but whether itīs the desktop video app audio outs or your computer audio outs, check both settings on the respective interfaces.

It should work fine, where I work we have the BM Decklink Studio outs 12&13 connected to the D Command stereo in1 as youīre doing.

Lastly, check if you donīt have the Mono button pressed on the D Command by accident

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Check your cables.

If you only have the right channel, switch it on the BM outs to check if itīs the breakout cable on the BM. If both channels output, then the problem is at the breakout cable that connects to the XMon. Are you connecting the BM outs to the right pair of inputs on the DB25 stereo ins on the Xmon?Eg. ST 1&2?

Not sure what audio you are using the BM outs for, but whether itīs the desktop video app audio outs or your computer audio outs, check both settings on the respective interfaces.

It should work fine, where I work we have the BM Decklink Studio outs 12&13 connected to the D Command stereo in1 as youīre doing.

Lastly, check if you donīt have the Mono button pressed on the D Command by accident
Thanks for your reply

I check BM 12 and 13 audio out by connected each other to for example ST 3 or 4 or 5 on xmon
It works but for all of them its mono and I have to push Stereo 2 or 3 on icon.

Is there any software to control Xmon like avid coreaudio manager?
And also on sound option in system preferences of my mac, balance for control BM pan does't work any more. I have same audio out for left or right even centre.

Also I have HD native card and omni in my system as well. Is there any possibility to make this problem because of it?
Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM

Hi there,

thereīs no app or control panel for Xmon. You connect the gear and thatīs it, all operations take place on the surface.

What type of breakout cable are you using to connect your MAC outs (via BM outs) to the Xmon stereo inputs? It seems that the problem lies there. The cable must follow the exact pinouts as described on your D Command guide, otherwise it will be messed up.

If you use the BM card outs 12&13 to output the MAC audio, you need to connect it to one of the 3 Stereo inputs available on the Dsub 25 pin on the rear of the Xmon. You need a breakout cable with Dsub to female xlrīs to connect the male xlrīs of the BM outputs.

If you have both an Omni and an AVID I/O, choose one of the converters to output the regular PT buss (stereo or 5.1) and connect it on the Xmon respective Dsubs connectors.

I enclose a link to the pinouts and also to a diagram showing where stuff needs to be plugged.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...8%20%205.1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20pinouts.pdf

Itīs not complicated, just needs a bit of attention.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-02-2014, 04:01 AM

I checked it today
I use avid or digidesign db25xlrf cable and i connected directly BM12-13 audio out to linein1-left linein2-right to "stereo in" Xmon
In protools everything is fine but for normal audio mac output its mono!
I have audio in meter just on 1 and 5
Is it normal?
I checked with the other pair of stereo but it was the same
I mean I checked audio out for BM and in for xmon and all of them works in perfect mode
May be some thing in some where set mono output for stereo input of xmon
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 PM

Itīs normal to have the meters display 1 and 5, as the right channel is on input 5 in the Main Dsub connector. Check the drawing on the previous post.

As far as I know thereīs no way to set a mono out from a stereo input connected on the Stereo inputs connector, apart from the mono button on the monitoring section, so thereīs something going wrong there. Just try the following:

Connect the BM outs in the Main input connector instead and the Protools stereo out (from the converter) in one of the stereo inputs on the Stereo ins socket.

This is just to eliminate a possible problem on the Stereo connector, not the way things should be wired. If the result is the same, eg PT is only mono, the problem is on the connector or breakout cable. If not is a config error on the MAC side.

If you have a balancing box around, use it an connect the MAC mini jack out in the Xmon to see what happens. Meaning without going through the BM.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 AM

I didn't get that. I should connect BM out put left and right both to XM stereo 1? Or each one to stereo 1 and 2 ?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Exactly!

Each of the 3 stereo inputs on the Xmon Dsub connector has left and right channels as expected. It means you can connect up to 3 stereo sources and select either of them to listen on the control surface. So you connect a pair of BM outs(L+R) to ONE pair (L+R) of the available 3 stereo inputs pairs. Check the diagrams Iīve linked on a previous post. You only need a breakout cable from Dsub 25 pin to XLRīs.

I think you better find someone that works on wiring to help you.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 01-23-2015, 08:01 PM

Finally i found that i must connect out 1&5 to speakers
NOT 1&2 !!!!!
I have both channel on my speaker
Thanks a lot all of you
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Finally i found that i must connect out 1&5 to speakers
NOT 1&2 !!!!!
I have both channel on my speaker
Thanks a lot all of you
I wrote that in one of my posts and also was shown in the drawings that I linked to. Glad you found it.

Paulo M

Protools Studio 2024.3