Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 01-31-2006, 01:30 AM

Default Control 24 headphone cue mix help!!

hi all

im in need of some help setting up a separate headphone mix on the control 24. not sure if im being a dummy or just doing something wrong.

i have patched out of the 192 (outputs 7+8) into AUX in on the control 24. and out of AUX out to the headphone amp. now i create in pro tools, as usual, sends on each channel for a separate headphone mix. (like sends A or B) and i set them prefader. so i can have a separate mix for the headphones and the control room. (and so the artist wont hear me mute something while we are tracking or something) then i create 2 master faders. one for the control room. and one for the headphone send. (1+2 for the control room, and 7+8 for the headphone send) . now this signal path usually works fine in other setups (like using an analog console or mackie hui...or even just straight outta pro tools to the headphone amp) but when i have it running into the control 24, i hear NOTHING when the "monitor to aux" switch is not pressed. and i hear the main mix when i press the monitor to aux switch. which i do not want cuase i dont want the artist to hear the main mix, but his own....

what am i doing wrong??
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Control 24 headphone cue mix help!!

Well, two things come to mind if I haven't missed something and without having the block diagram in front of me: (1) Check the routing of the output of your Master Fader for the headphone cue mix and (2) your Aux. Inputs on the C24 are not working. Someone mentioned once that when their talkback circuit began not working that they did a reset on the C24 and that fixed it. I don't know, but maybe that trick would work for the Aux. Inputs if they are indeed not letting signal into the C24.

Just trying to help so don't shoot me if these ideas don't work.

Jeff
Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
hi all

im in need of some help setting up a separate headphone mix on the control 24. not sure if im being a dummy or just doing something wrong.

i have patched out of the 192 (outputs 7+8) into AUX in on the control 24. and out of AUX out to the headphone amp. now i create in pro tools, as usual, sends on each channel for a separate headphone mix. (like sends A or B) and i set them prefader. so i can have a separate mix for the headphones and the control room. (and so the artist wont hear me mute something while we are tracking or something) then i create 2 master faders. one for the control room. and one for the headphone send. (1+2 for the control room, and 7+8 for the headphone send) . now this signal path usually works fine in other setups (like using an analog console or mackie hui...or even just straight outta pro tools to the headphone amp) but when i have it running into the control 24, i hear NOTHING when the "monitor to aux" switch is not pressed. and i hear the main mix when i press the monitor to aux switch. which i do not want cuase i dont want the artist to hear the main mix, but his own....

what am i doing wrong??
Hi,

The aux in and the aux outputs are NOT associated, they are independant stereo in to monitor section and stereo out from monitor sectiion!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:03 AM

hi

so what should i do then?

i thought in the manual it says that is how it should work. hmmmmm.. i thought the aux in and aux out would work with or without the monitor to aux button pressed. cause it doesnt work when the monitor to aux button isnt lit. do i need to do something else? could someone please explain to me how the routing should go and what buttons i should have pressed then to have a separate headphone mix on the control 24. im usually not this bad with signal flow. i just think the C 24 is getting the best of me right now..

joe
Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 AM

Hi,

It sounds like you have a similar set-up to mine. The only difference is that I don't set up a master fader for my headphone send. I set up a pre-fader send for each track and route that to analog outputs 7&8 on the 192 i/o. Those outputs come back into the aux ins on the C24 and that goes to the headphone amp. I'll try a master fader for that setup and see what happens, then I'll check back here.

You know, I've had many analog boards over the years. It seems that they were all much easier to deal with in many ways. I hated mixing with a mouse, though. So I bought the C24 and I'm figuring it out a little more each day.

Joe

check this out for a few pics of my studio:

www.freewebs.com/highpointrecording
Old 02-12-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Well, two things come to mind if I haven't missed something and without having the block diagram in front of me: (1) Check the routing of the output of your Master Fader for the headphone cue mix and (2) your Aux. Inputs on the C24 are not working. Someone mentioned once that when their talkback circuit began not working that they did a reset on the C24 and that fixed it. I don't know, but maybe that trick would work for the Aux. Inputs if they are indeed not letting signal into the C24.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

That was ptobably me that you read that about, but ir was kind of a different problem. I think in this case, the cue mix may not be working because he is using Master faders to route the audio. Now, I also could be wrong, but If this gentleman uses Stereo Aux faders, he gets an input, so I think that he should use an Aux chqnnel instead, Now he should create a send for each channel that has audio on it's channel going out, and send it out the send as Bus 3-4 (PRE FADER), them create the stereo Aux channel and set it's input as bus 3-4, then go to this Stereo Aux channel and set the output as I/O 3-4. The last step is to patch the I/O 3-4 to channel 2 of the headphone amp and you know have mix number 2. NOW, for mix three, let's go back to his setup and create another set of sends on each channel thatl carries audio signals out and set the bus as PRE FADER and create a bus path 5-6. NOW, set up another stereo aux fader. Set it's input to bus 5-6 and it's output to I/O 5-6. Now, patch the 5-6 output from the hew Aux fader ro headphone Amp input 3 and there is phone three, Just make sure that the Aux channels being used are set as a starter at zero DB. You can control the overall output of these aux faders there or the headphone amp.

Remember to use the flip button and pick each each send you want to control now by using the faders in flip mode to control the independant channel levels for the new cue mixes, Do this for each send and you can control them easily from the C-24 faders.
Old 02-12-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

That was ptobably me that you read that about, but ir was kind of a different problem. I think in this case, the cue mix may not be working because he is using Master faders to route the audio. Now, I also could be wrong, but If this gentleman uses Stereo Aux faders, he gets an input, so I think that he should use an Aux chqnnel instead, Now he should create a send for each channel that has audio on it's channel going out, and send it out the send as Bus 3-4 (PRE FADER), them create the stereo Aux channel and set it's input as bus 3-4, then go to this Stereo Aux channel and set the output as I/O 3-4. The last step is to patch the I/O 3-4 to channel 2 of the headphone amp and you know have mix number 2. NOW, for mix three, let's go back to his setup and create another set of sends on each channel thatl carries audio signals out and set the bus as PRE FADER and create a bus path 5-6. NOW, set up another stereo aux fader. Set it's input to bus 5-6 and it's output to I/O 5-6. Now, patch the 5-6 output from the hew Aux fader ro headphone Amp input 3 and there is phone three, Just make sure that the Aux channels being used are set as a starter at zero DB. You can control the overall output of these aux faders there or the headphone amp.

Remember to use the flip button and pick each each send you want to control now by using the faders in flip mode to control the independant channel levels for the new cue mixes, Do this for each send and you can control them easily from the C-24 faders.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:12 PM

I went through this a while back wanting to be able to have an independent control room mix so I could solo/ mute without throwing off the musician recording. I had lots of suggestions to go pre-fader, aux sends, etc, but I never had any success. The solo/mute buttons affect all feeds. Digi never responded to my customer service e-mail. I bought the C|24 from Sweetwater, whose technical department finally replied to me telling me that it wasn't doable. I was told that the C|24 does not function the same as an analog board.

...I wished I would have known that before I bought it.

but aside from that annoyance... not to mention all the other functions/switches that don't seem to do anything..... <sigh>

I be thrilled if someone figured out a way to do this
Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM

I think I have solved it!!! I have had the same problems as well and this past weekend was a disaster of epic proportions, causing me to go to any length to figure this out. Here's how I am going to do it:

ALL should be set to PRE-FADER and unity gain, season to taste.

Everything being recorded (except for Aux tracks) is being sent to, say Bus1-2 to be the main mix but you must do every drum track and NOT the Drum Subgroup, (if you use one)this just doubles the signal and/or creates confusion.

Next setup just the drums (again no aux stuff) to go to Bus 3

Bass to Bus 4

Gtr to Bus 5

Vox to Bus 6

Now create 1 stereo Aux in and 4 mono aux ins, with their inputs as Bus 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6 respectively and their outputs to (for my system anyway) 96I/O output 3-4, 5, 6, 7, 8 respectively.
My Output 3-4 goes to the Control 24's Aux Input (to pickup the talkback mic), then goes to the headpone system main in and 5-8 go straight to the headphone system.

THIS IS THE KEY!!! You have to SOLO SAFE (or whatever its called) the headphone aux-in tracks. You do it by holding Ctrl (Windows) and clicking the solo button. It should be greyed out. Now when you solo something, you aren't muting the aux ins and they flow right to the headphone system without interruption.

Does this make sense?? It should work for one and all, let me know what you all think and if need be I can save a template.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:00 AM

this is great, District !!!
I was just wondering how to solve the talkback problem, cause it uses the aux out & not the regular outs...
I'm gonna try U'r solution, I thought that was it, but would certainly never find the solo safe thing...