Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Omni Preamp fix?

the funny thing is through all this drama, the one unit I have thats been broken for like 3 years or more at this point is sitting in a storage unit, because I wasn't willing to pay a fee to fix it when clearly there was a design issue. I applied whatever money that would've gone towards a repair buying a better interface from a different manufacturer and moving away from an HD native card and have been happy ever since.

so if anyone wants an omni, barely used with non functioning pre amps, I'm selling... CHEAP lol

MKD Creative
Old 05-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Just to add to the noise...Having the noted problem with PreAmp 1 on my Rev B Omni with 2.10 firmware. Bummed out. Looks like it's at least $1,100 with boxing and shipping charges. I spoke to two repair shops, Advanced Musical Electronics (in L.A.) and another shop in Florida.

Apparently shops can't work on the motherboards because they're so complicated; you have anything go wrong and the unit is basically worthless. Avid has major quality and management issues to charge customers $1,000 for out of warranty service when it's a faulty and known problem; clearly a manufacturing defect.

Voicing my complaint and disappointment with Avid.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:32 PM

You might be better off looking for a used one with a later rev.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-03-2016, 10:01 PM

Does this issue only affect the mic preamps (as opposed to the line in and instrument inputs)?

And is it definitive that plugging/unplugging while phantom power is engaged is the only cause? Or do these also fail for other reasons?

I ask because I bought my Omni 3.5 years ago and I have never used the mic pres. I only use my outboard pres and channel strips and go in via the line input. I am tempted to test my unit (Rev A), but, since it is working fine in the way that I use it, I am hesitant to do so.

As a potential future precaution, I made a red label with my Brother P-Touch and affixed it to the front panel below the mic pres: "Disengage 48V!"