Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Mix Core vs. D24 + Mix Farm

I own a D24 card, a Mix Core card and two DSP Farm cards.
I'm wondering if it makes sense to sell the the Mix Core card and to buy a Mix Farm card.

The question is: Which system has more advantages? D24 + Mix Farm + 2 DSP Farms, or Mix Core + 2 DSP Farms? Has the "mixed" system D24/Mix exactly the same features as the genuine Mix system?

Please can somebody explain me the pros and cons?

Another question concerns the "Mix Engine": Is there always one Mix Engine running on a Mix system?
More precisely: On a Mix system, there's running a Mix Engine on the Core card. What about the D24/Mix Farm system? Is there also running a Mix Engine on the Mix Farm card? Or becomes the D24 Engine a Mix Engine?

Many thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Mix Core vs. D24 + Mix Farm

D-24 & Mix core = D-24 & Mix Farm
The only advantage is if you retire the D-24, your mix core will keep your system running.
If there is no DSP shortage than keep what you have.
If you need more DSP than sell the D-24 and add a MIX Farm.
--
All cards act as one system in TDM. (one engine)
Old 10-28-2005, 04:05 AM

Hi TCDet

Quote:
D-24 & Mix core = D-24 & Mix Farm

Ah I wasn't thinking about this one (Mix core and D-24)... In that system would there also be taken one Mix DSP by the Mix Engine?

But what is the advantage to let the D-24 together wiht the Mix core? Why do two cores in one system make sense?

Does your answer also mean that Mix Core + 2 x DSP farm is less powerful than D24 + Mix Farm + 2 x DSP?

A lot of questions... I'm really a Mix newbie, I'm sorry for that
Old 10-28-2005, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I own a D24 card, a Mix Core card and two DSP Farm cards.
I'm wondering if it makes sense to sell the the Mix Core card and to buy a Mix Farm card.

Are you running two systems, or do you need two systems? The D-24 card basically does nothing in a system that includes a Mix Core. You might be able to add more physical I/O with it in the system than is possible without, but I think we're talking about 4 interfaces or more.

If you're only running one system, then I'd say you should sell the D-24 with one or both DSP farms and see if you can pick up another Mix Farm. This will give you a Mix Plus, which will give you almost the same processing power as the current setup in half the card slots.

Bob