Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | First Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:04 AM
frankpc frankpc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 14
Default PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

PTF seems to initialize properly. A window states: " ... you will be directed to the Playback Engine". A few seconds after selecting "OK", PTF crashes.

I've found several posts about this problem that state a dedicated sound card is recommended.

Also stated is to press/hold "N" before starting PTF to determine what audio device is selected or available. Pressing "N" appears to have no effect. When should the N key be pressed and when should it be released? Or does that feature no longer function?

Thank you
__________________
Windows 10 Home x64, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI MB, Intel i5 4690K CPU @ 3.5 Ghz 8.0 GB RAM, 511 GB SSD, PTF 2019.6.0.
Eleven Rack, Line 6 POD HD Pro X & FBV MKII, Fender Mustang IV V2, Shenandaho Acoustic 85
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2020, 12:39 PM
junkgear's Avatar
junkgear junkgear is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,333
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Pressing N does still work in PTF, so there must be something missing on your system.

Do you have an ASIO compatible sound device in your system? You will need this in order to use PTF.

At a minimum, you can install ASIO4ALL, which may get you going, but will not give you the best performance.
__________________
Will K

System Details
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2020, 01:15 PM
frankpc frankpc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 14
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Thank you for reply JG,

No. I do not have an ASIO device on this computer. An 11R is due to arrive tomorrow.

I figured the 'N' would display something rather than PTF crashing. However I believe you are suggesting that not having an ASIO device could prevent 'N' from functioning.

Thanks again!
__________________
Windows 10 Home x64, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI MB, Intel i5 4690K CPU @ 3.5 Ghz 8.0 GB RAM, 511 GB SSD, PTF 2019.6.0.
Eleven Rack, Line 6 POD HD Pro X & FBV MKII, Fender Mustang IV V2, Shenandaho Acoustic 85
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-14-2020, 09:54 PM
davetelling davetelling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Carson City
Posts: 4
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

I'm having the same issue. I have a Behringer 320USB, and ASIO4ALL is the driver they post on their website for this product. I installed ASIO4ALL, but PTF does not seem to recognize that the driver is there, and I can find no instructions on how to activate/set up the driver so PTF will "see" it. Pressing the 'N' key at various times seems to make no difference.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2020, 05:14 AM
junkgear's Avatar
junkgear junkgear is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,333
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetelling View Post
I'm having the same issue. I have a Behringer 320USB, and ASIO4ALL is the driver they post on their website for this product. I installed ASIO4ALL, but PTF does not seem to recognize that the driver is there, and I can find no instructions on how to activate/set up the driver so PTF will "see" it. Pressing the 'N' key at various times seems to make no difference.
First, in Windows Sound Properties, make sure that Windows is NOT using the Behringer as the "Default Playback Device".
Second, make sure ASIO4ALL is configured properly to use your Behringer interface.
Lastly, only hold down the N key while PTF is first starting and continue to hold it until you see the Playback Engine settings. If you aren’t getting that far, then PTF is not able to locate a compatible sound device on your system.
__________________
Will K

System Details
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-17-2020, 09:12 PM
davetelling davetelling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Carson City
Posts: 4
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
First, in Windows Sound Properties, make sure that Windows is NOT using the Behringer as the "Default Playback Device".
Second, make sure ASIO4ALL is configured properly to use your Behringer interface.
Lastly, only hold down the N key while PTF is first starting and continue to hold it until you see the Playback Engine settings. If you aren’t getting that far, then PTF is not able to locate a compatible sound device on your system.
OK - 1. Using ASIO4ALL offline settings, it "sees" the Behringer interface, both input and output. My W10 device manager "sees' the Behringer interface.

2. My default output device is my laptops Realtek audio system, default input is Realtek built-in mic.
3. Holding 'n' key through the whole process results in the same thing - the app just stops working and goes back to the desktop. I tried both shifted and non-shifted 'n', with the same result. In my opinion, this is a serious bug - there is no reasonable way to troubleshoot the issue. if my W10 system shows the audio interface, and ASIO4ALL recognizes that it is there and indicates that the interface is available, then PTF should start up, so either ASIO4ALL is doing (or NOT doing something) or there is some other issue affecting this, but ASIO4ALL has nothing other than an install file (which I have run twice) and no real helpful instructions, and if there is some other issue with PTF, there is no way to tell what it is. Some additional error handling is really needed here!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 PM
davetelling davetelling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Carson City
Posts: 4
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetelling View Post
OK - 1. Using ASIO4ALL offline settings, it "sees" the Behringer interface, both input and output. My W10 device manager "sees' the Behringer interface.

2. My default output device is my laptops Realtek audio system, default input is Realtek built-in mic.
3. Holding 'n' key through the whole process results in the same thing - the app just stops working and goes back to the desktop. I tried both shifted and non-shifted 'n', with the same result. In my opinion, this is a serious bug - there is no reasonable way to troubleshoot the issue. if my W10 system shows the audio interface, and ASIO4ALL recognizes that it is there and indicates that the interface is available, then PTF should start up, so either ASIO4ALL is doing (or NOT doing something) or there is some other issue affecting this, but ASIO4ALL has nothing other than an install file (which I have run twice) and no real helpful instructions, and if there is some other issue with PTF, there is no way to tell what it is. Some additional error handling is really needed here!

OK, I tried one more thing - looking through ASIO4ALL, it seems that I should see some kind of indication in my taskbar that my audio app is using ASIO4ALL. I do not see this happening. I tried un-installing and then re-installing ASIO4ALL with the "run as Administrator" option. This time, when I tried to fire up PTF, I got this error message after the place where the playback engine was supposed to be started:
Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238949\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.

Sine I don't HAVE an 'E' drive on my system - just a C drive, and no thumbdrives or other add-ons there - this error message seems absurd.
So far, I am significantly unimpressed with PTF, since I cannot even get it to run. Personally, I think that being able to run audio interfaces in the "non ASIO" mode might be a step forward.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2020, 09:22 AM
frankpc frankpc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 14
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

I've read that PTF and perhaps PT stores project files on a local drive. Perhaps that drive is hidden and in your case called "E:"

Just a guess...
__________________
Windows 10 Home x64, Gigabyte Z97X-SLI MB, Intel i5 4690K CPU @ 3.5 Ghz 8.0 GB RAM, 511 GB SSD, PTF 2019.6.0.
Eleven Rack, Line 6 POD HD Pro X & FBV MKII, Fender Mustang IV V2, Shenandaho Acoustic 85
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2020, 10:14 AM
junkgear's Avatar
junkgear junkgear is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,333
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetelling View Post
OK, I tried one more thing - looking through ASIO4ALL, it seems that I should see some kind of indication in my taskbar that my audio app is using ASIO4ALL. I do not see this happening. I tried un-installing and then re-installing ASIO4ALL with the "run as Administrator" option. This time, when I tried to fire up PTF, I got this error message after the place where the playback engine was supposed to be started:
Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238949\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.

Sine I don't HAVE an 'E' drive on my system - just a C drive, and no thumbdrives or other add-ons there - this error message seems absurd.
So far, I am significantly unimpressed with PTF, since I cannot even get it to run. Personally, I think that being able to run audio interfaces in the "non ASIO" mode might be a step forward.
Don't worry about the E: drive as that is just the drive Avid used when they compiled the code and it is used for debug purposes.

One other thing you can try is deleting the PTF preferences, which basically clears any stored settings from earlier attempts at running PTF and starts from scratch. To do so, do the following:

1. Close Pro Tools.
2. Hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press R.
3. When the Run window appears, type %appdata% and press OK.
4. Open the Avid folder, and delete the Pro Tools First folder.
5. Restart your computer and launch Pro Tools.
__________________
Will K

System Details
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2020, 01:29 PM
davetelling davetelling is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Carson City
Posts: 4
Default Re: PTF crashes when directed to the Playback Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Don't worry about the E: drive as that is just the drive Avid used when they compiled the code and it is used for debug purposes.

One other thing you can try is deleting the PTF preferences, which basically clears any stored settings from earlier attempts at running PTF and starts from scratch. To do so, do the following:

1. Close Pro Tools.
2. Hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press R.
3. When the Run window appears, type %appdata% and press OK.
4. Open the Avid folder, and delete the Pro Tools First folder.
5. Restart your computer and launch Pro Tools.

I'll give that a try & see what happens. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Playback Engine changes causing crashes Kevinstudi Pro Tools 12 10 03-10-2017 03:36 AM
10.1.2/10.1.3 crashes when changing Playback Engine settings RokVox macOS 128 05-22-2012 01:51 PM
PT crashes when changing Playback Engine Will Russell Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 11 12-05-2006 08:15 AM
HD Playback Engine Setup Crashes roberts Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 02-01-2004 05:18 PM
Help - HD Playback Engine Setup Crashes Richard Eshelman Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 6 11-21-2002 02:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com