Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Default Digidesign Digi 003 Console Firewire Audio Interface Does Not Link With Mac Pro

My Digidesign Digi 003 Console Firewire Audio Interface Does Not Link With My Mac Pro. I have downloaded and installed PT 11.3.1 to use with my Mac running OS 10.11.6. Everything shows up on the Mac screen and is usable but the link does not connect to the control surface. I have also downloaded and installed the Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle and it shows up on the computer as well.

Avid says they do not support this hardware anymore so I am without anyone to troubleshoot and get this thing going. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Digi 003 Console Firewire Audio Interface Does Not Link With Mac Pro

Did you install the 003 drivers?

(are they supported on this OS version... no I'm not going to check).

For starters does the device show up under About This Mac>System Report Firewire devices? If not and an appropriate driver is installed then the most likely cause is a dead 003 Firewire interface chipset.

"Everything shows up blah blah" tells us nothing useful, what *exactly* are you talking about .. does the 003 show up in System Report>Firewire devices? In audio/midi setup? In Pro Tools Setup>Playback Engine? What exact do you mean by "does not Link..."? You mean the interface does not show up as an option in the Playback Engine dialog? Describe exactly what you see happening/not happening.

Do not hot plug/unplug this device that is know to fry the Firewire interface at which point it's likely a large door stop... so the important question is always have you seen this actually working anywhere?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Digidesign Digi 003 Console Firewire Audio Interface Does Not Link With Mac Pro

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, this 003 has made two albums for me over the years. I moved two years ago and have come off the road and I am setting up my studio again.
Did you install the 003 drivers? YES
For starters does the device show up under About This Mac>System Report Firewire devices? YES.
In audio/midi setup? YES
In Pro Tools Setup>Playback Engine? YES

NOW IT IS CONNECTED AND STREAMING!!!!!

Thanks very much for your excellent advice!!!
Old 09-11-2018, 05:08 PM

Great!, but I did not suggest anything that would fix a problem. It could be that you just allowed the computer to sleep/suspend with the interface attached and that will hang the 003 driver until the computer reboots... remember to disable sleep/suspend as a part of optimizing your system for Pro Tools (see Pro Tools Installation Guide).