Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 AM

Default Is anyone using File Vault without detriment to Pro Tools?

I've been reading recommendations to use Full Disk Encryption with FileVault to protect me against data loss if my MacBook Pro was stolen. Some people suggest that there should be little, if any, performance hit with modern CPUs, although these are not people involve in music/video editing and I note that the Avid Pro Tools system optimisation recommendation is to turn off File Vault.

So, is anyone using disc encryption successfully with Pro Tools without a significant performance hit or error messages?

For everyone who isn't using encryption, aren't you concerned about security?

Thanks for any insights!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Is anyone using File Vault without detriment to Pro Tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amathie View Post
I've been reading recommendations to use Full Disk Encryption with FileVault to protect me against data loss if my MacBook Pro was stolen. Some people suggest that there should be little, if any, performance hit with modern CPUs, although these are not people involve in music/video editing and I note that the Avid Pro Tools system optimisation recommendation is to turn off File Vault.

So, is anyone using disc encryption successfully with Pro Tools without a significant performance hit or error messages?

For everyone who isn't using encryption, aren't you concerned about security?

Thanks for any insights!
Well since I am a Mac Pro user I am not too concerned about someone trying to break in to steal a massively clunky tower LOL

Here is a possible suggestion for you. Use at least two drives, one FV enable and one disabled. Use a non-fire vault drive for all your audio and PT needs. THEN, once projects are completed you can move them to a fire vault encrypted drive. I am sure many more users on here are more season in the industry than I am, but I have never once spoke to anyone using FV on their studio Macs

I also want to clarify FV doesn't prevent your data from being "lost". It prevents others from accessing it without proper password/credentials. If your MBP is stolen then your drives and files are gone until you physically have the MBP or at least the drives. If you're concerned about theft then it makes more sense to just use Time Machine to make backups, which you should be doing already anyways

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76
Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
Well since I am a Mac Pro user I am not too concerned about someone trying to break in to steal a massively clunky tower LOL

Here is a possible suggestion for you. Use at least two drives, one FV enable and one disabled. Use a non-fire vault drive for all your audio and PT needs. THEN, once projects are completed you can move them to a fire vault encrypted drive. I am sure many more users on here are more season in the industry than I am, but I have never once spoke to anyone using FV on their studio Macs

I also want to clarify FV doesn't prevent your data from being "lost". It prevents others from accessing it without proper password/credentials. If your MBP is stolen then your drives and files are gone until you physically have the MBP or at least the drives. If you're concerned about theft then it makes more sense to just use Time Machine to make backups, which you should be doing already anyways
I don't trust Time Machine to do backups; my tool of choice is Carbon Copy Cloner which can be set to many different backup schemes. I also don't leave my backup drive connected and powered up all the time but only when I'm actually making the backup. I do my backups manually. And I do all my drives: system ssd, my sessions drive (spinner) and samples drive (spinner at the moment).

The reason for not having the backups connected and powered up is what if there's a hardware issues and your system gets hosed? With connected/powered drives those could get trashed as well. Or what if some s/w goes rogue and starts overwriting everything?

As to FileVault I run without it enabled. I don't want some process running on it's own stealing cpu cycles while doing so-called once-in-a-lifetime recordings. Something to keep in mind about FileVault though is if you ever have to take your Mac in for servicing Apple asks that you have FV enabled.

As far as having two sets of drives (one with and one without) FV enabled makes no sense. If you're really worried about your material getting stolen then run without FV and keep your system off the net.

QAPLA!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:50 AM

Thanks Skizzo and point taken about differentiating between security breaches and data loss due to drive failure/human error etc.

I too have a 2009 MacPro buried deep in my studio and unlikely to be stolen but as I'm more concerned about my MacBook Pro, I'm still interested to know if FV encrypting the system drive running ProTools has a significant performance hit, assuming that the session files, recorded audio files and any samples remain unencrypted.