Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 AM

Default All Sessions using SDII files are missing all audio files and won't relink

My external drive with my PT sessions died. I took it to a data recovery place who transferred the info from my mac-formatted LaCie to a windows-formatted Western Digital drive. Because I couldn't open files or record to this drive, I transferred onto a mac-formatted drive. Now, all of the sessions that used SDII audio files are all missing the data and it won't relink even when I am looking right at the audio files.

I read on GearSlutz that after SDII files have been on a non-mac formatted drive, even if you copy them onto a mac-formatted drive, they won't work. I'm assuming this is completely true because I am unable to access any session using that file type. My question is at this point, are my only options:
(1) re-recover files from original drive (2) chalk those sessions up as a loss? I can tell you #2 is an awful option...

Please help!!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 AM

Default Re: All Sessions using SDII files are missing all audio files and won't relink

did you try forced relink as described here?:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=198722
Old 03-18-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Re: All Sessions using SDII files are missing all audio files and won't relink

Yes, I tried it and it doesn't work. When I drag the files into the Candidates region, it doesn't accept it, so it remains empty. When I try to copy & relink, it says "this operation cannot relink offline files." When I relink offline, it puts me back in the same place I started at.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 AM

Most often when you copy SDII files to fat drives, you lose the resource forks. Some programs/OS' understand this and will use ._(filename) to preserve the resource fork, like network drives. Do you have any of those files on the PC formatted drive? If you re-recover the drive to a hfs+ formatted drive, I don't know if whatever they are using to recover the files will recover the resource forks also. You'll have to ask. Another option, is to use a program like Soundhack (http://www.soundhack.com/freeware.php) to open the files as raw audio on the mac formatted drive and then rewrite them with the headers with resource forks. This can be an extremely long process depending on how may session files you are trying to recover. Hope the re-recover thing will work out.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Chuck, I was going to have him re-recover the original mac-formatted drive that died onto another mac-formatted drive, that way it never goes onto a non-mac formatted drive to lose its resource forks. In that instance, everything should be ok, right?

As far as Soundhack, I'm not sure that option makes sense considering I am experiencing this problem with over 100 sessions, some with 300 audio files (one with over 500!!). But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 PM

It should be good if they are using a Mac to recover the files or PC software that can read/write Mac formatted disks. It's the stuff that's lost in translation that causes the problem. SDII is one of the few remaining file formats that uses resource forks. After you get them back, you might consider converting all of your SDII sessions to BWAV (that handy little Save Copy In thing). Even SDII's staunchest supporter (Digital Performer) has adopted BWAV and AIFF in it's latest incarnation. At some point, resource forks may no longer be supported which would hose everyone's archived SDII sessions.