Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Sample Rounding Issue!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
In most part I agree.
But I do not believe PT has sub-ticks measurement/divisions
ProTools definitely has sub-ticks, no "belief" necessary. Just zoom right in, draw a note, and then copy and move the note to the next step (1 sample). Two sounds will trigger, 1 sample apart, but they will both look like they're at the same position on the bars and beats display.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
ProTools definitely has sub-ticks, no "belief" necessary. Just zoom right in, draw a note, and then copy and move the note to the next step (1 sample). Two sounds will trigger, 1 sample apart, but they will both look like they're at the same position on the bars and beats display.
Yes you're right, checked it out & this also applies to clips as well.

This sample division that does not show up on the counter set to Bars|Beats does open up for why the 'sample rounding' bug affects midi notes & clips.

Because as I have said before with projects created set to ticks, having perfect bar length midi clips (zoomed in to check) when duplicated, repeated or alt + drag randomly do not align correctly at certain tempos - they are out by what would seem to be the sample division. This makes it a sample rounding bug to me.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

I found another possible reason why it happens. When I zoom to max in at the end of a midi clip and click on it, the clip become totally selected (black) but as soon as I try to move it for placing it to another location (or for copying by pressing alt) there is the last part of the clip that is no longer selected. It seems that not the whole clip remain selected as soon as I try to move or copy it. This happens randomly and only at a certain position of the session. Instead if I duplicate it once I am sure that it is first start and end quantized by trimming its boundaries this issue does not happen. Today I also tried to manage midi by recording in note view and converted the midi section in group. It seems to work fine, but I have to investigate more.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
I found another possible reason why it happens. When I zoom to max in at the end of a midi clip and click on it, the clip become totally selected (black) but as soon as I try to move it for placing it to another location (or for copying by pressing alt) there is the last part of the clip that is no longer selected. It seems that not the whole clip remain selected as soon as I try to move or copy it. This happens randomly and only at a certain position of the session. Instead if I duplicate it once I am sure that it is first start and end quantized by trimming its boundaries this issue does not happen. Today I also tried to manage midi by recording in note view and converted the midi section in group. It seems to work fine, but I have to investigate more.
Yes that would chime with my experience as well - something about moving clips is definitely suspect.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Yes that would chime with my experience as well - something about moving clips is definitely suspect.
Yes, but it seems that is a grabbing issue. If you copy by doing with cmnd+c and cmnd+v it does not happen
Old 05-31-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
Yes, but it seems that is a grabbing issue. If you copy by doing with cmnd+c and cmnd+v it does not happen
It is definitely a repeat, duplicate or alt + drag issue as well.

I will try the copy & paste shortcuts but for large arrangements to quickly move/copy clips around that is too long winded.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

Old 05-31-2019, 10:32 PM

SOLUTION?

I don't think I've ever noticed this not being an issue. It's my understanding that the reason this occurs is that Pro Tools is a sample based software by default (as opposed to a tick based software). The reason for the rounding issue is that an round number of samples doesn't always fit perfectly within a measure. It's like trying to have a round number of millimeters with an inch -- It's just not possible. So... when duplicating or repeating bars, you have to switch the track to tick based instead of sample based to avoid this issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosound View Post
SOLUTION?

I don't think I've ever noticed this not being an issue. It's my understanding that the reason this occurs is that Pro Tools is a sample based software by default (as opposed to a tick based software). The reason for the rounding issue is that an round number of samples doesn't always fit perfectly within a measure. It's like trying to have a round number of millimeters with an inch -- It's just not possible. So... when duplicating or repeating bars, you have to switch the track to tick based instead of sample based to avoid this issue.
Yes, but it has said many times in this post that the tempo/sr calculation has nothing to do when handling midi data. While sample rounding on audio has always been here, with midi it started since pt12. PT11 that I work with when programming midi is not affected from this unless the midi clips were created on pt12 and newer. On pt 12 and newer, it happens on tracks in tick base as well
Old 06-01-2019, 01:38 AM

Here are two clips showing how it works in my case:

http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id...acaa478164b581

Audio even in ticks mode seems to be trimmed at the end once in a while.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosound View Post
SOLUTION?

As myself & innesireinar has said on this thread unfortunately with ticks selected & used from the creation of a project this bug still happens. And also with it randomly happening it’s extremely hard to consistently replicate, but make no mistake it is there.