Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Connecting MIDI keyboard into Pro-Tools 003 rack.

Hello,
I am trying to connect a Kurzweil PC88mx MIDI Keyboard Controller using Digidesign Pro-tools10 (version 10.3.9) 003 Rack, and Apple iMac OSX (version 10.11.5).

I have already followed the Audio MIDI setup to configure an external device according to 003 Rack (version 7.3) manual in the "configuring AMS" instruction pages (109 to 111) but still get no sound into an open track session on Pro-Tools.

I have noticed that the MIDI interface (003 rack) is not highlighted in the Audio MIDI setup window. It appears there, but for some reason it is not highlighted.

When playing on the keyboard a little light bulb flashes on my 003 rack (MIDI in), signaling the MIDI cables are working.

I have also tried Setup/Peripherals/MIDI Controllers/HUI; or M-Audio Keyboard (in #1 type), but nothing appears on "receive from" to make a selection in Pro-tools open session.

I have used Pro-Tools for voice recordings (which I have also installed an external preamp and of course a mic) with no problems so far.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Connecting MIDI keyboard into Pro-Tools 003 rack.

A few things to be aware of: the 003 might not be compatible with ElCrapitan. Second - make sure the Kurzweil and PT are talking on the same MIDI channel. Third - you don't set up anything in the controllers section of PT for the Kurzweil if all you're using for is as a way to enter notes, volume, sustain, pitch bend and mod wheel messages. Fourth - if the Kurzweil has both traditional 5 pin MIDI and USB MIDI make sure it's set to work on 5 pin MIDI; some keyboards have to set specifically for that.

Does the 003 show up at all in the MIDI section of OSX AMS? If you could post a screenshot of what you have in AMS that would help.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:07 PM

Peripherals is NOT the place to setup your keyboard for midi recording. You need to set it up in Midi studio and tell PT to receive midi via the 003 midi input. Check out youtube for some help on setting up a midi keyboard with DIGI003 on a Mac

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-28-2019, 09:10 AM

HELLO DAVE,Will that work on a PC Im using P T /first Im also trying to connect a Alesis Q25